Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSimpsons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Knowing Apple, obviously they won't put a retina screen on the iPad Mini without increasing the price.

What do you guys think the price would be for a 16GB WiFi Model? I'm thinking around $499 (£329).

tpho

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Knowing Apple, obviously they won't put a retina screen on the iPad Mini without increasing the price.

What do you guys think the price would be for a 16GB WiFi Model? I'm thinking around $499 (£329).

$399 (the current price of an iPad 2)

If it's $499, you might as well get the iPad 4th gen. :confused:

frag2

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009

It'll probably retain the same price of 329$. However, when you put the capacity into perspective:

429$ for 32GB Ipad Mini
269$ for 32GB Nexus 7 II

Considering the slide Apple has lately with Ipad sales, they would be stupid to not drop the price a bit. But Apple tends to sell things built off their aura and mystique so I don't see why they wouldn't just keep the insane pricing models.

They would be wise to just drop the pricing by about 50$

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
It'll probably retain the same price of 329$. However, when you put the capacity into perspective:

429$ for 32GB Ipad Mini
269$ for 32GB Nexus 7 II

Considering the slide Apple has lately with Ipad sales, they would be stupid to not drop the price a bit. But Apple tends to sell things built off their aura and mystique so I don't see why they wouldn't just keep the insane pricing models.

They would be wise to just drop the pricing by about 50$

Would blindly buy it at 329$. I love experiencing both ios and android tablets and i want the best in portable tablets from both OS'.

iSimpsons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Guys $499 after tax. I just converted the current UK price (£269) to dollars.

If it retains its current price of $329, I would jump at the opportunity on pre order date! Lets hope Apple releases this before the Christmas timeframe.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Obviously since they didn't increase the price of the iPhone 4 when it got Retina and they didn't increase the price of the iPad 3 when it got Retina, they will increase the price of the Mini when it gets Retina. /s

So knowing Apple you are probably incorrect.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Guys $499 after tax. I just converted the current UK price (£269) to dollars.

If it retains its current price of $329, I would jump at the opportunity on pre order date! Lets hope Apple releases this before the Christmas timeframe.

It won't jump £60.

It may go up slightly, as the iPad mini seems a smaller margin product than the normal iPad, so there is less 'wiggle room' per se.

However, I'd be extremely surprised if they put it up to more than $349/£279-89.

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
It won't jump £60.

It may go up slightly, as the iPad mini seems a smaller margin product than the normal iPad, so there is less 'wiggle room' per se.

However, I'd be extremely surprised if they put it up to more than $349/£279-89.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did jump £50-60, but that isn't to say I'd be happy about it. £279 for a retina mini just sounds too good to be true (and I'd be snapping one up on release day if this was the case), but I would've thought that for Apple to keep the price almost the same they'd make less of a margin on each unit - surely the retina screen will cost them much more than the old lower-res screen?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I wouldn't be surprised if it did jump £50-60, but that isn't to say I'd be happy about it. £279 for a retina mini just sounds too good to be true (and I'd be snapping one up on release day if this was the case), but I would've thought that for Apple to keep the price almost the same they'd make less of a margin on each unit - surely the retina screen will cost them much more than the old lower-res screen?

The jump from an iPad 2 to a retina iPad 3 incurred a $30 increase for the screen - I wouldn't be surprised if Apple managed to get the screen for the mini down to a $20 increase due to the smaller size and higher volume.

I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't try and make extra profit on the screen, so a $20-40 increase sound about right.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
If Apple is going to release the iPad Mini Retina this year along with iPad 5; it has to have the same profit margin as the iPad 5 for Apple to do it at the same time. Apple fears that the Mini Retina would take away sales from the iPad 5; but if both have the same profit margin; the it would be no harm to Apple!

My thinking is the following:

16GB $429
32Gb $529
64GB $659
128GB $759

I am willing to pay these higher price as long as they release it in September/October time frame instead of 2nd quarter 2014!

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
If Apple is going to release the iPad Mini Retina this year along with iPad 5; it has to have the same profit margin as the iPad 5 for Apple to do it at the same time. Apple fears that the Mini Retina would take away sales from the iPad 5; but if both have the same profit margin; the it would be no harm to Apple!

My thinking is the following:

16GB $429
32Gb $529
64GB $659
128GB $759

I am willing to pay these higher price as long as they release it in September/October time frame instead of 2nd quarter 2014!

The most common sense I've read on this forum. People are so naive to believe Apple will release a $329 retina iPad mini. Everyone forgets that Apple wants to make a profit and they still want to sale their 9.7" iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The most common sense I've read on this forum. People are so naive to believe Apple will release a $329 retina iPad mini. Everyone forgets that Apple wants to make a profit and they still want to sale their 9.7" iPad.

In my opinion, the main reason why the first ipad mini was priced at $329 was exactly so they could fit in a retina display and not need to raise the price (i.e.: the initial price already factored in the improved specs and screen, so you are in a sense overpaying for the first mini).

Plus, if we don't see a change in form factor, any increase in specs can be offset by savings in manufacturing efficiencies and R&D.

So I believe the price will stay unchanged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.