Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1
uPhone
macrumors regular

Lost iPhone 5 in NYC limo

Went to NYC last night up to meet up with friends, found some random limo last night which agreed to take 9 of us for $5 each.

2 minutes after getting dropped off and paying the driver I realized the phone slipped out of my pocket into the back seat. The driver was gone by then.

Immediately tracked the phone and the phone kept moving but had no way of following him. Kept playing the sound in hopes he would call my friend but then someone turned off the phone and it hasn't been turned on since.

I set the thing to email me when the iPhone is turned on but no idea if it'll ever be turned on again.

What are my options now?

I have verizon, don't have insurance.

Should I disconnect the line and switch back to my iPhone 4S or wait for someone to turn it on and get a updated location?

If I report it to the NYPD will they be able to do anything realistically?

I have the serial number of the iPhone and last known location and a picture of me in the limo that MIGHT have the limo number in it but its very blurry

Inside Limo Pictures:
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps718eb273.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd44ff3e.jpg

any advice on how to track the phone and save me from a $500 loss!

Thanks!
uPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
charlituna
macrumors G3

There's every little to nothing you can do at this point. You could call Verizon and report it stolen so if someone makes any calls etc you won't be liable for any weird fees. But it's unlikely they will because Verizon iPhone 5 is not sim locked so you can pop in an AT&T, t mobile etc sim and it works. No hacking needed.

The finder likely shut off the phone and turned it on directly to DFU mode and wiped it so it probably won't ever show up to be tracked and Apple doesn't police devices coming in unless the police call their corporate office with a police report etc and ask them to do it.

Rather odd that some limo driver was going gypsy cab around NYC, major license no-no. You are rather lucky the guy wasn't some serial killer freak or something. He was probably thrilled that you dropped your iPhone. Might have been hoping a phone or wallet would get forgotten.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

That is a tough break, OP. Sounds like you have done everything you can to try and find it. I hope it is returned to you, but I think you are SOL.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Sorry it's gone. I list a phone before, it hurts.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

Did you try calling the limo company? Hope you get it back

Edit: oh, forgot about how NYC limos work
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone