Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
bougth this imac 2011 27" really cheap, too cheap perhaps...
it was 300 euro cheaper then what other people were selling it for secondhand.

this is my first mac computer, i see people buying secondhand macs and after a while it gets locked! iCloud lock or efi lock.

so im really scared to set it up for icloud or upgrade to mountain lion it has been working fine now for 1 week.

please help me, what can i do i think factory reset isnt enough right?

yinx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Wiping the computer and re-installing OS X should be enough and should be done on any used computer you buy anyway.

is it really enough, ofcourse thats the first thing i did when i got it home.
but for some reason i think with icloud it saves eveything like if i whould instal icloud now, and the guy who i bought it from could lock it from his iPhone/ipad/os computer. and then i whould be scrued

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
but for some reason i think with icloud it saves eveything like if i whould instal icloud now, and the guy who i bought it from could lock it from his iPhone/ipad/os computer. and then i whould be scrued

You are fine. You are misunderstanding how an iCloud (Find my Mac) lock works. For the old owner to lock down your machine, the iMac would need to be logged in to his iCloud account.

If you have erased the drive and reinstalled the OS, then you use your own iCloud account, you are safe.

What you may have read about is systems that are stolen and then sold and users run into the EFI or iCloud PIN lock. If that were the case you would have run into that as soon as you turned on the machine and connected it to the Internet.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

@Weaselboy is right, however there is one other restriction. There seems to be a limit to the number of iCloud accounts that can be activated on a single Apple device (possibly 3 accounts) - so if you try to activate and get an "Account limit reached" error, that's what has happened. No harm in trying as long as you know what iCloud account you want to use, if you change your mind later you'll be one closer to (or over) the limit.

If you get the error, a call to AppleCare should set it in order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.