Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
What types of things would prevent an application from opening a file?

I just installed VLC media player on my new cMBP, and there is an option to have a "stream" open at startup, but it keeps failing. (*Note: A "stream" - as far as I know - could be either be a Playlist or a File.)

What I am ultimately trying to do is get my Playlist to be loaded when VLC starts so that I can click on it and start listening to music, but in v2.0.7 this isn't working.

So now I have things pointing to an mp3 file, but that seems to also be failing.

In VLC I get this latest error log message...

Code:
main debug: using interface module "macosx"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 72.479 ms - Total 72.479 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 72.479 ms)
main debug: playlist threads correctly activated
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1
macosx debug: using future AR cookies
main debug: looking for services probe module: 5 candidates
main debug: no services probe module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.790 ms - Total 2.790 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.790 ms)
main debug: looking for extension module: 1 candidate
lua debug: Opening Lua Extension module
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Users/user1/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/extensions
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/share/lua/extensions
main debug: using extension module "lua"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.204 ms - Total 0.204 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.204 ms)
macosx debug: Found 1 capture devices
macosx debug: no optical media found
main debug: processing request item: SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3, node: Playlist, skip: 0
main debug: resyncing on SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3
main debug: SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3 is at 0
main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
main debug: resyncing on SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3
main debug: SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3 is at 0
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for 'SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3'
main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path '/tmp'
main debug: `/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3' gives access `' demux `Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3' path `'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3' location='' file='(null)'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 4 candidates
main debug: no access_demux module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 56.219 ms - Total 56.219 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 56.219 ms)
main debug: creating access '' location='', path='(null)'
main debug: looking for access module: 6 candidates
main debug: no access module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 35.730 ms - Total 35.730 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 35.730 ms)
main error: [COLOR="Red"]open of `/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3' failed[/COLOR]
main debug: finished input
main debug: dead input
main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1)
main debug: nothing to play
main debug: TIMER input launching for 'SteveMiller_Extreme_Fast.mp3' : 151.597 ms - Total 151.597 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 151.597 ms)

Could this be a *permissions* issue with Mountain Lion? I don't really understand the log above, but it sorta sounds like VLC doesn't have permission to open either my Playlist or the Song above?! :confused:

Please help me out, so I can get on to using my new cMBP!!!! :( :( :(

Sincerely,

Debbie

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I don't use VLC much, but:
If you just open the file as a file, rather than use the stream options, does the file open? If so, that rules out permissions.
Did this work fine in previous versions? Perhaps it's a bug in the latest version if so?

(Permissions are unlikely to be the cause as all apps you launch run as your user, and if the file is in the same user domain, there shouldn't be any problems (unless you've deliberately altered the permissions).

Let's just get this out of the way: Repair Permissions does NOTHING for files in your user account, nor for third-party apps. There. I've said it.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
I don't use VLC much, but:
If you just open the file as a file, rather than use the stream options, does the file open?

Yes, I can open the .m3u as a file in VLC and it loads fine.

Did this work fine in previous versions?

Yes.

Perhaps it's a bug in the latest version if so?

Yes.

(Permissions are unlikely to be the cause as all apps you launch run as your user, and if the file is in the same user domain, there shouldn't be any problems (unless you've deliberately altered the permissions).

Okay.

Let's just get this out of the way: Repair Permissions does NOTHING for files in your user account, nor for third-party apps. There. I've said it.

Right.

Debbie

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Are you having trouble with just the one song? Does that same file play properly in other media players?

I'm not much good at interpreting log files either, but to me it almost seems like the file itself is corrupted.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
It looks like I was able to figure things out...

For whatever reason, in this latest version of VLC, you now need to add this to the beginning of the "Default Stream"...

Code:
file://

Don't ask me why?! :rolleyes:

So instead of this...
Code:
/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/+TEMPLATES_2013-01-26/__MyVLCPlaylist_2013-01-26.m3u

I now need this...
Code:
[b][COLOR="Red"]file://[/COLOR][/b]/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/+TEMPLATES_2013-01-26/__MyVLCPlaylist_2013-01-26.m3u

Now when I load VLC and double-click on my Playlist, it loads all of my streaming radio stations in the playlist, which thus allows me to choose one.

Thanks,

Debbie

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
It's because VLC is expecting an Internet stream, so it's asking you for a URI location of what to play. Since you're asking the local file system to serve up the stream, file:// indicates that.

It looks like I was able to figure things out...

For whatever reason, in this latest version of VLC, you now need to add this to the beginning of the "Default Stream"...

Code:
file://

Don't ask me why?! :rolleyes:

So instead of this...
Code:
/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/+TEMPLATES_2013-01-26/__MyVLCPlaylist_2013-01-26.m3u

I now need this...
Code:
[b][COLOR="Red"]file://[/COLOR][/b]/Users/user1/Documents/_RADIO_CAPTURE/+TEMPLATES_2013-01-26/__MyVLCPlaylist_2013-01-26.m3u

Now when I load VLC and double-click on my Playlist, it loads all of my streaming radio stations in the playlist, which thus allows me to choose one.

Thanks,

Debbie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.