Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Fluid useful for Google Music

Thought I'd try using Fluid for Google Music.

Works pretty good. About 70-80% of CPU on my G5 and that's with TenFourFox running in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finder.png
Views:	43
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	424913  
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
MrPilot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Thought I'd try using Fluid for Google Music.

Works pretty good. About 70-80% of CPU on my G5 and that's with TenFourFox running in the background.
TFF is waaay too slow for my taste but it'll be nice when google music opens up in more countries, I'd like to try it :P
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

I find TFF too slow too, LeopardWebkit is much faster, 2nd to Camino.
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
No, no no. Sorry guys! I used Fluid to create the app for Google Play. And that's what I was using. But I was running T4Fx at the same time as running the Google Play app I made using Fluid.

I wasn't using T4Fx for Google Music. That's way to intense to do that and still be able to browse.

Sorry for any confusion!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Google Music.png
Views:	25
Size:	699.5 KB
ID:	424936  
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

I knew you were using Fluid, I was more replying to MrPilot, Sorry.
ihuman:D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Swampus
macrumors 6502

Nice tip. I was going to use your advice to create a Pandora app, but it seems to be working really nicely at the moment on my G4. The last time I tried it, it chewed up about 60% of the CPU, which seems like a lot just to listen to music. Today, though, it's working nicely at about 10%. I wonder if they've changed anything recently?

I always enjoy seeing your screen shots, btw. You've done a nice job customizing your interface.
Swampus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:01 PM   #7
MrPilot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No, no no. Sorry guys!
LOL! No it was us not reading PROPERLY! haha sorry
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampus View Post
Nice tip. I was going to use your advice to create a Pandora app, but it seems to be working really nicely at the moment on my G4. The last time I tried it, it chewed up about 60% of the CPU, which seems like a lot just to listen to music. Today, though, it's working nicely at about 10%. I wonder if they've changed anything recently?
I usually use Pandora Boy or Pandora Man for Pandora. Both work pretty well with low overhead. I prefer Pandora Boy though.

You can get them both here if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampus View Post
I always enjoy seeing your screen shots, btw. You've done a nice job customizing your interface.
Thanks!

This particular desktop is my G5 though so nowhere near as customized as my PowerBook. I do share the same UI customization though as I do prefer the dark look. Unfortunately, the G5 is now hooked up to a sole 18" monitor at home, rather than the two 22" monitors that are at work.

It's a lame Gateway monitor that needs pressure on the screen to work, but it does work.

Have it hooked DVI into the G5 and VGA into a PC. I can switch between the two by pressing a button.

1280x800 though. Ugh!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-07-27 15.01.34.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	424938  
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:05 PM   #9
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihuman:D View Post
I knew you were using Fluid, I was more replying to MrPilot, Sorry.
No worries!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
LOL! No it was us not reading PROPERLY! haha sorry
Again, no worries!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Is it the paid version where you can do overrides? Removing the header will make it feel more natural.

Here's my guide with the CSS override I posted over at the Alternative forums:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1586648
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Is it the paid version where you can do overrides? Removing the header will make it feel more natural.

Here's my guide with the CSS override I posted over at the Alternative forums:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1586648
???

Sorry if I sound stupid…overides? You mean overrides in Google Music?

I ask, because I don't know what you mean. I don't pay Google anything for this (never have) and I've never had an issue with playing any of my stuff. It's just like CD ripped music in iTunes. Play/Stop/Next/Previous/Pause, my own playists which I can create anywhere, no commercials, etc. It's all my music that's been uploaded.

I got into Google Music early in the beta test stage so maybe that's why? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks for the userstyles tip!

EDIT: Did you mean Pandora?

If so, I've not ever had an issue of pressing the next button. But I don't press it that often so maybe that's why. Most of the stuff I listen to on Pandora is ambient music.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I was talking about the userstyles, I call them overrides, because that's basically what they are.

They only work if you have a Fluid license.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #13
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
I was talking about the userstyles, I call them overrides, because that's basically what they are.

They only work if you have a Fluid license.
I believe licensing for that is a thing for 1.0 and above. I don't recall installing a license for 0.9.6 and the userscripts part all works, I use it to use a userstyle for my FB app.

Version 1.0 was listed as a complete rewrite according to the changelog.

EDIT: I looked at your link further and I see you are referring to userstyles? All 0.9.6 has is userscripts.
EDIT2: Nevermind, it does have userstyles. They're in Preferences and not the Window menu. Now I recall that I never seemed to be able to get it to work. Hmmm…

OK, cool, got it to work…removing the Google bar.

Last edited by eyoungren; Jul 27, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
eyoungren is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
I believe licensing for that is a thing for 1.0 and above. I don't recall installing a license for 0.9.6 and the userscripts part all works, I use it to use a userstyle for my FB app.

Version 1.0 was listed as a complete rewrite according to the changelog.

EDIT: I looked at your link further and I see you are referring to userstyles? All 0.9.6 has is userscripts.
EDIT2: Nevermind, it does have userstyles. They're in Preferences and not the Window menu. Now I recall that I never seemed to be able to get it to work. Hmmm…

OK, cool, got it to work…removing the Google bar.
Nice that you got it to work. And yeah, that is probably because this isn't a 1.0 build of Fluid. I don't remember hearing about it until the Lion days.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:42 PM   #15
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
Nice that you got it to work. And yeah, that is probably because this isn't a 1.0 build of Fluid. I don't remember hearing about it until the Lion days.
Well, let's just say that the first time I saw it was at Versiontracker.com. It was in beta, which is what the 0.X.X builds are.

Versiontracker of course was bought out by CNET.

Now that I've revealed just how ancient I am…
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well, let's just say that the first time I saw it was at Versiontracker.com. It was in beta, which is what the 0.X.X builds are.

Versiontracker of course was bought out by CNET.

Now that I've revealed just how ancient I am…
I remember when it was bought out. Sad times that was.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:53 PM   #17
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
I remember when it was bought out. Sad times that was.
Yeah, and what made that worse is that even though CNET will show you an older version of an app, when you go to download it, it ALWAYS defaults to the most current version. You cannot find any PowerPC apps on CNET now unless the latest version was PowerPC or Universal.

I'm not a big fan of CNET over this.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs