Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Mgf95
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 water damage?

My iPhone is the new lifeproof nuud case so I thought it'd be ok to leave by the pool because the case is water proof. But apparently the case is very good at being water proof because when I took the case off after the fact there was a fair amount of water inside the case. I guess some of the water got into the phone because the back camera lens in all foggy. But the interesting part is that the phone is fully functional. So I have couple of questions

1- do you think that the water that got into the phone cause damage later? I plan on putting it in rice later to try and draw out water.

2- I know there was a rumor going around when the phone first came out that apple treated some of them with some water repellent spray. Could that be a possibility here?

3- where are the water damaged sensors? I looked in the headphone jack, the charging port and the SIM card slot and I didn't see anything that was red to indicate water damage.

4- is it normal to have brown stuff in the lighting port and the headphone jack? Because when I was looking in there, there was a lot of brown stuff, but it didn't seem to have any impact the use of the device

Thanks for your help
Mgf95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf95 View Post
1- do you think that the water that got into the phone cause damage later? I plan on putting it in rice later to try and draw out water.
If there's still water in there, absolutely. wires and connectors can corrode, connections can short out. It's bad news to keep things moist.

Quote:
2- I know there was a rumor going around when the phone first came out that apple treated some of them with some water repellent spray. Could that be a possibility here?

Unlikely.

Quote:
3- where are the water damaged sensors? I looked in the headphone jack, the charging port and the SIM card slot and I didn't see anything that was red to indicate water damage.
Pretty sure all the water damage sensors are internal now, but there should also be one in the SIM port somewhere.

Quote:
4- is it normal to have brown stuff in the lighting port and the headphone jack?
Definitely not.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

"Brown stuff"?!? Did u really even have to ask if its normal? Lol.

Was the case installed properly? And if it was just "sitting poolside" and got splashed a few times, I find it hard to believe that water got inside..even if the case wasn't clamped correctly.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

Did you put it on rice?? I think you just caused lots of damage by forgetting that.
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
ant1298
macrumors member

Was the phone out in the sun? Could be condensation from being a watertight case.....just a thought? Depends on the level of water found though.

Anthony
ant1298 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

How can that case keep any water out considering that the front and back are wide open?? Water can go straight in through the openings.
Givmeabrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Sounds like Lifeproof sent you a defective case. You may want to contact them and let them know that their product failed, and that they should be liable for your iPhone repair costs.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:57 PM   #8
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

Brown Stuff? Sounds like ear wax.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
Brown Stuff? Sounds like ear wax.
you are supposed to hold the phone next to your ear, not stick it in your ear.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 PM   #10
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Sounds like Lifeproof sent you a defective case. You may want to contact them and let them know that their product failed, and that they should be liable for your iPhone repair costs.
@OP yeah, I agree with rit, if you applied the case as per instructions and they guaranteed that it's waterproof, but it failed, then they should be liable.
aimee.elizabeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone