Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An image posted on Chinese site WeiPhone appears to show plastic retail packaging marked with the name "iPhone 5C". If the packaging is genuine, and it has not yet been confirmed to be, it could be for Apple's long-rumored plastic iPhone. The image was first noticed by French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate].

iPhone-5C.jpg
The "C" designation would presumably refer to the various color options available on the rumored lower-cost device.

The packaging appears to be a white plastic box that would hold the device and associated accessories and documentation. A front cover, unseen in the photo but perhaps clear to show off the various color options for the device itself as seen on Apple's iPod lineups, would appear to rest on a small lip around the interior.

A number of photos showing plastic rear shells alleged to be for Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone have surfaced in recent weeks, and Apple is rumored to be launching the device alongside the iPhone 5S later this year.

The WeiPhone forums are a fairly frequent source of Apple rumors, although the site itself does not frequently report on them, making it difficult to determine a steady track record as posting in the site's forums come from a variety of different posters. Still, the alleged plastic packaging and official look of the "iPhone 5C" moniker appear to have some legitimacy, and would increasingly make sense as Apple may be gearing up for a launch of the low-cost iPhone this Fall.

Article Link: Photo of Plastic Packaging with 'iPhone 5C' Name Surfaces

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Maybe it's just an iPhone 5 without the aluminium casing, so it has higher profit margins at $99.

EDIT And if this is the 'low-cost' iPhone, it's not going to be cheap. The packaging basically says: it's an iPhone 5 in a different casing. They are not dropping the iPhone 5 price from $649 today, to $299/$399 tomorrow - even with a different casing.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
An entirely plastic box with each iPhone? Is that cost effective? Or environmental?

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
How do pics like this leak? It's almost like its on purpose considering how the info trickles out one piece at a time, each time teasing a little bit more. Where's the real leak of the entire phone?

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
If the canned the iPhone 5 and introduced 2 new models I assumed it would be New iPhone something and New iPhone something; ditching the model # like they did with the iPad. Wonder why they are sticking with it. If the pic is real.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
An entirely plastic box with each iPhone? Is that cost effective? Or environmental?
Maybe it's the same type of 'plastic' that is used for the "EarPods" that ships with every iPhone 5. I remember that the plastic used for the EarPods case was very environmentally friendly.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
How do pics like this leak? It's almost like its on purpose considering how the info trickles out one piece at a time, each time teasing a little bit more. Where's the real leak of the entire phone?

If Steve Jobs was still here, there wouldn't be any leaks at all. Apple is no longer a secretive company. It's sad. :( No more surprises.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple can't keep pretending a smartphone is something special and exclusive. They have no choice but to make a cheap option.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
For some reason I find this photo more genuine than all of the hardware "leaks" we see.

Especially seeing as I also have a GooPhone i5 which is so like the iPhone 5 you can hardly tell the difference so I look at every hardware leak as just a Chinese clone or attempt at beating Apple to the market with what they think will be the next device.

These boxes on the other hand, I can see no reason as to why a Chinese cloner would go out of their way to make them.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Steve Jobs was still here, there wouldn't be any leaks at all. Apple is no longer a secretive company. It's sad. :( No more surprises.

Yeah cause he was dead when the iPhone 4 leaked.

There have been leaks for years with and without Steve. Only way there would not be leaks if if everything was made by Apple in a giant center with zero cell phone service or Internet and no one was allowed to leave. Like willy wonkas

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Maybe it's the same type of 'plastic' that is used for the "EarPods" that ships with every iPhone 5. I remember that the plastic used for the EarPods case was very environmentally friendly.

They just made your ears bleed because they were 4 times too big for the ears.

Had to get a pair of speakers a couple days after I purchased my first iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.