Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:43 AM   #101
blackpond
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
If these leaks are correct, it makes sense.

A plastic iPhone. And plastic packaging.
My iPhone 4S came in cardboard...

metal phone... in a cardboard box...

I just blew your mind, right?
blackpond is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #102
OneMike
macrumors 68040

I'm beginning to think the plastic phone will be the new iphone. Not just the cheap iphone.
OneMike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #103
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I just don't get this. Why do people get so caught up in a $50 to $100 difference in the hardware of a phone when they are agreeing to a $2500 outlay for service over the next two years?.
Because most people are bad at arithmetic. Why do you think the banks make such massive profits on interest and fees from maxed out and over limit credit cards?
firewood is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:46 AM   #104
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Kind of interesting it's called the 5C.

We are expecting a 5S though that's not a given.

So we will have a 5S and a 5C.

But what happens after that? Will we have an iPhone 6 and 6C and a then 6S and another 6C?

Maybe it should be called the iPhone 5SC
Exactly the question I had upon seeing this.

I suppose they'd go to 6/6C then 6S/6C. It makes sense to still have the high end phone being the driver for the numbering system and that the C model sounds like a variant rather than an entirely new (cheaper) line.

Maybe it also means they only update the 6C every two years to keep costs low?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:47 AM   #105
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I'm beginning to think the next iPhone will not be a 5S.

It makes more sense to have these generation names:

This fall: iPhone 6 and iPhone 5C
Next year: iPhone 7 and iPhone 6C
2015: iPhone 8 and iPhone 7C

This also makes sense if Apple is going to release a bigger screen size. They could add a different suffix to the model.

In other words the phones will be named after the generation of their insides, the processor and graphics. Suffixes will be for other designations such as case configuration and screen size.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #106
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Maybe it's just an iPhone 5 without the aluminium casing, so it has higher profit margins at $99.

EDIT And if this is the 'low-cost' iPhone, it's not going to be cheap. The packaging basically says: it's an iPhone 5 in a different casing. They are not dropping the iPhone 5 price from $649 today, to $299/$399 tomorrow - even with a different casing.
On the contrary, that is what Apple always does with the last gen model. They heavily discount it and make it the entry model, with new flagship taking the top spot. iPhone 5 components are cheaper now than they were a year ago, so Apple absolutely has the ability to do that and largely preserve the margins.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #107
BRO,RUMAD?
macrumors newbie

At first sight, I thought these were docks.
BRO,RUMAD? is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:52 AM   #108
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Plastic is cheap and recyclable.
Which means that it is able to be recycled. Whether it is actually recycled (and how environmentally friendly that process turns out to be) is a whole other question...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:52 AM   #109
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
I'm beginning to think the plastic phone will be the new iphone. Not just the cheap iphone.
They could easily take the angle that in lieu of an aluminum feel they are providing more personalization by way of the colors and more durability (to compete with the rugged variants of S4).

It could also allow them to move to a twice-yearly release schedule if the plastic backs are easier to design and manufacture.

However, I think the entire theory falls apart when we look at the dimensions of the plastic case (larger than iPhone 5) and the fact that a lower cost model has been rumored for a long time. In a way, they are simply repeating what they did with the iPod.

IMO we will see 5s and 5c released together.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:53 AM   #110
PollyK
Banned

Absolutely hideous. Environmentally friendly company my rear.
PollyK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:53 AM   #111
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRO,RUMAD? View Post
At first sight, I thought these were docks.
I think you're right size-wise. The don't look big to me. Maybe they hold the charger and earpods, then the iPhone stands on top, and a clear plastic long case is slid down over it. On the shelf, the white plastic is the base, with the color phone standing upright inside it, clear plastic cover to show off all sides of the phone.
dotme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:53 AM   #112
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguru22 View Post
How do pics like this leak? It's almost like its on purpose considering how the info trickles out one piece at a time, each time teasing a little bit more. Where's the real leak of the entire phone?
I am reasonably sure these are controlled leaks. Apple is trying to set fan and critic expectations on the cheap(er), low(er) build quality device model.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:54 AM   #113
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
I'm beginning to think the next iPhone will not be a 5S.

It makes more sense to have these generation names:

This fall: iPhone 6 and iPhone 5C
Next year: iPhone 7 and iPhone 6C
2015: iPhone 8 and iPhone 7C

This also makes sense if Apple is going to release a bigger screen size. They could add a different suffix to the model.

In other words the phones will be named after the generation of their insides, the processor and graphics. Suffixes will be for other designations such as case configuration and screen size.
Makes sense, but we've seen little evidence to support a larger screened iPhone to this point, unless you are saying that iPhone 7 is the one that has the larger screen?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:54 AM   #114
Some guy
macrumors member

iPhone Color?
Some guy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:55 AM   #115
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
I think you're right size-wise. The don't look big to me. Maybe they hold the charger and earpods, then the iPhone stands on top, and a clear plastic long case is slid down over it. On the shelf, the white plastic is the base, with the color phone standing upright inside it, clear plastic cover to show off all sides of the phone.
And thus these are iPhone5-Cradle, not an iPhone at all, just the cradle for one.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:56 AM   #116
alez86
macrumors newbie

think easy!!!

five colors in the rumors photos....... iPhone 5 Colors!!!!
alez86 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #117
Lazy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
Those shells are not for apple. Any plastic part were cosmetic appearance plays a role can not be tumbled together like that. They will scratch and apple would certainly not accept them.
Totally reasonable for a manufacturing process for a bunch of plastic parts like this to include dumping them in a bin at the end of a line.

It's really hard to imagine a counterfeiter taking a wild guess at what the packaging would look like (not to mention the name!), and actually making parts based on the guess. There's zero upside to that. So that leaves as choices:

1. These are genuine.
2. They are counterfeit, but based on actual knowledge of the real part.

IMHO 1 is much more likely, but either way Apple will be selling iPhone 5C's in this packaging.
Lazy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #118
joachimnb
macrumors member

How can people complain about Apple going plastic in a cheaper model? Iphone 3G and 3GS were high end devices and true breakthrough products. Remember what they were made from? Let me recall it for you: P-L-A-S-T-I-C. Also, while plastic does not feel premium, it still is the best and most logical material for a phone. Might as well call iphone 5 the-third-party-plastic-case-covered-very-fragile-and-thus-cheap-looking-phone.
joachimnb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #119
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz08 View Post
If Steve Jobs was still here, there wouldn't be any leaks at all. Apple is no longer a secretive company. It's sad. No more surprises.
#1: You are wrong. The biggest leak perhaps in iPhone history was the iPhone 4 leak months before it was released, under Mr Jobs

#2: I don't get you, if you want to be surprised, why are you on a rumor site that specializes in putting together leaks and rumors (and evaluates how likely they are?)
Tiger8 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #120
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz08 View Post
If Steve Jobs was still here, there wouldn't be any leaks at all. Apple is no longer a secretive company. It's sad. No more surprises.
For someone who knows Steve Jobs so well, you sure have amnesia about major leaks like iPhone 4 left in a bar
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #121
Lazy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
Exactly. That's the only thing that makes sense, and gives a good view of the color (by showing the back).
Lazy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #122
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Does that look like packaging Apple has used in the past? Even their iPod packaging is clear plastic, isn't it?
Actually the package seems to mimic the design of the phone itself, in terms of shape and corners (of course though, completely different proportions for the depth).

Tiger8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #123
karlwig
macrumors regular

iPhone Color / Cheap
karlwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #124
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachimnb View Post
How can people complain about Apple going plastic in a cheaper model? Iphone 3G and 3GS were high end devices and true breakthrough products. Also, while plastic does not feel premium, it still is the best and most logical material for a phone. Might as well call iphone 5 the-third-party-plastic-case-covered-very-fragile-and-thus-cheap-looking-phone.
Because some people have spent years deriding the competition for their usage of plastics.

As many have pointed out, the material used is not as important as the execution. Using a plastic shell that is one seamless part will avoid the issues that other manufacturers have (multiple parts cobbled together lead to creaking, cracking, and the like). As you rightly pointed out, Apple proved this with the 3G/3GS.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:04 AM   #125
donnaw
macrumors 6502a

Well, as long as we're speculating it might stand for 'China' meaning its made specifically as a China model for release there.
donnaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion