Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Moraigh144
macrumors newbie

Cant set up email rule on empty subject

I have noticed that i am receiving a lot of spam emails where the subject line is blank . So I want to set up a RULE in the Preferences to automatically delete them . I cannot seem to get the RULES to accept " where subject is blank/empty." Can anyone tells me how you write " blank/empty" ?
Moraigh144 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraigh144 View Post
I have noticed that i am receiving a lot of spam emails where the subject line is blank . So I want to set up a RULE in the Preferences to automatically delete them . I cannot seem to get the RULES to accept " where subject is blank/empty." Can anyone tells me how you write " blank/empty" ?
What if a friend forgets to put a subject on their message? So you might want to try as shown in the attachment. Note I haven't tested it, but in theory it should work. You might want to initially put them in a separate folder to check if the rule works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 10.46.16 AM.png
Views:	7
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	425015  
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Moraigh144
macrumors newbie

Hi .. I have tried this and it doesn't work .. so i am assuming there is something else that indicates it means null/empty etc . Re friends with no subject ... i will take the risk ... the spam emails are now getting to high daily numbers
Moraigh144 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraigh144 View Post
I don't think it works with it blank and I don't see a way to accomplish no subject. How about using the bellow string idea from here.

That should work.

Code:
Where the Subject line does not contain 'a' or 'e' or 'i' or 'o' or 'u' or 'y' or '0' or '1' or '2' or '3' or '4' or '5' or '6' or '7' or '8' or '9'
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Moraigh144
macrumors newbie

This seems to have done the trick ... I have had no spam emails for approx 7 hours ..... many many thanks
Moraigh144 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store