Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
my personal PB has a 1.25 processor and 512 gig mem and i have about 60 gig full out of the 80 on the hardrive.

i just got a spanking brand new PB from my new job.
1gig mem
only 30gig on hardrive

but for some reason my old PB is blazing fast on the web compared to the new PB?
considering the horses behind the new PB i would expect it to be much faster than my old PB.
has anyone else found their new PB's to be a little slow on the web?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
While I don't have either powerbook (I have the older 1.67), I would guess that they should be the same speed on the web. Assuming they are connected on the same router, that is.

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
grapes911 said:
While I don't have either powerbook (I have the older 1.67), I would guess that they should be the same speed on the web. Assuming they are connected on the same router, that is.

i would make that same assumption.
and they are on the same router.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Are they connected via ethernet? If so, try switching wires. One may be damaged in some way.

If they are wireless, move them around. Maybe on is in the line of some interference that the other is not getting.

Maybe it's just mental? You expected more and it just seems slow? (I'm reaching for straws on this one :eek: )

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
grapes911 said:
Are they connected via ethernet? If so, try switching wires. One may be damaged in some way.

If they are wireless, move them around. Maybe on is in the line of some interference that the other is not getting.

Maybe it's just mental? You expected more and it just seems slow? (I'm reaching for straws on this one :eek: )

ha.
i hear ya.
they are right next to each other and i'll test them and the old PB is killing it, so i dont think its mental.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
DDR2 does run slightly slower than DDR. I don't think it is much of a difference. You probably shouldn't see the difference while browsing, but it could be part of the reason.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Interesting. Same OS version? Same browser version? Same Network settings?

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Check the 'energy saver' settings under 'system preferences', that can make a difference with laptops.

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
hkala said:
my personal PB has a 1.25 processor and 512 gig mem and i have about 60 gig full out of the 80 on the hardrive.

i just got a spanking brand new PB from my new job.
1gig mem
only 30gig on hardrive

but for some reason my old PB is blazing fast on the web compared to the new PB?
considering the horses behind the new PB i would expect it to be much faster than my old PB.
has anyone else found their new PB's to be a little slow on the web?

I can tell you that you are not alone. I have the new 15" HD and I have also run slower on the web, and other things, than my 12" 1.5 GHz. I took it to Apple the other day and they even noticed things running slowly. They did a DOA and gave me a new one. This new one seems to run better. You might talk to Apple and see what you can work out with them regarding your new comp. You may get a new one.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
There is a program called safari speed that will remove the delay in opening webpages. Here is something I pulled from some guy's blog about how to do it in terminal:
some guy's blog said:
Are you a Safari user looking for a little speed boost in page loads? Try this quick tip:

If Safari is running, quit it.
Open a terminal and type the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25
Start Safari again, and enjoy the added speed!
Though that doesn't explain the problem, it should speed you up! :)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
New macs with Tiger out of the box will index the hard drive for spotlight. It will take a few hrs so this might be what you are noticing. I suggest opening spotlight in system prefs and dragging your mac hardrive icon into it so it won't index that drive.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
crazzyeddie said:
The new PBs don't have the processor performance setting.

I had not heard that. I'd be bummed if my ibook didn't have those settings -- it runs incredibly hot on highest performance, so I choke it down for laptop use. Given that powerbooks run hotter, I'd hate to have that option taken away from me.

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
MacTruck said:
New macs with Tiger out of the box will index the hard drive for spotlight. It will take a few hrs so this might be what you are noticing. I suggest opening spotlight in system prefs and dragging your mac hardrive icon into it so it won't index that drive.

i dragged the hardrive into spotlight but nothing popped up?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
hkala said:
i dragged the hardrive into spotlight but nothing popped up?
He's referring to the exceptions to Spotlight, i.e. the folders (which in this case is the whole hard drive) that Spotlight won't search.

Open up System Preferences and click Spotlight. Then click on the Privacy tab and drag the Macintosh HD icon onto the area where you drag folders. Now Spotlight won't search the entire hard drive and will stop indexing it too (which may be why it is acting more slowly). To revert back to normal (i.e. so that Spotlight works again), delete the Mac HD from the list of exceptions.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
rosalindavenue said:
I had not heard that. I'd be bummed if my ibook didn't have those settings -- it runs incredibly hot on highest performance, so I choke it down for laptop use. Given that powerbooks run hotter, I'd hate to have that option taken away from me.

Yeah, the new PowerBooks don't have the processor performance setting. Its built into the OS and OS X does all the work by itself now. So its not always on highest per say. I imagine that any new updates to iBooks will also have this setting as well.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the memory in the new powerbooks is slower, DDR2 has a higher latency, and it runs at a mediocre 167MHz in sync with the bus, and it's not even DDR, as the cpu does not have a proper DDR controller.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Hector said:
the memory in the new powerbooks is slower, DDR2 has a higher latency, and it runs at a mediocre 167MHz in sync with the bus, and it's not even DDR, as the cpu does not have a proper DDR controller.

so... why did they switch to it?? :confused:

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
johnnyjibbs said:
He's referring to the exceptions to Spotlight, i.e. the folders (which in this case is the whole hard drive) that Spotlight won't search.

Open up System Preferences and click Spotlight. Then click on the Privacy tab and drag the Macintosh HD icon onto the area where you drag folders. Now Spotlight won't search the entire hard drive and will stop indexing it too (which may be why it is acting more slowly). To revert back to normal (i.e. so that Spotlight works again), delete the Mac HD from the list of exceptions.

yeah, i did that.
the hardrive didnt appear in the box.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Cheaper... well more importantly it uses less power, one of the reasons for the new powerbooks better battery life. But really the difference in performance should not be noticable. It's probably barely measurable with benchmark apps. No this problem could more likely be some bug with the whatever they used to replace the processor performance settings.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Well let's factor in the hard drive itself? Some Apple OEM drives have only 2mb of cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.