Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm finding I may need more headroom with RAM soon, running Logic ProX and a lot of virtual instruments that use lots of audio samples requires lots of RAM.

I've got 16 gigs in my iMac and saw that EveryMac.com lists it at 32gig, with this caveat:

*Officially, this model supports a maximum of 16 GB of memory. However, third-parties have discovered that it actually will support 32 GB of memory using four 8 GB modules.

I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble by going to 32gig as they describe. I'm wondering if OSX revisions, Mavericks etc, if incompatibilities will start to arise? Or do you think it'll be fine?

thanks!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I'm finding I may need more headroom with RAM soon, running Logic ProX and a lot of virtual instruments that use lots of audio samples requires lots of RAM.

I've got 16 gigs in my iMac and saw that EveryMac.com lists it at 32gig, with this caveat:

*Officially, this model supports a maximum of 16 GB of memory. However, third-parties have discovered that it actually will support 32 GB of memory using four 8 GB modules.

I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble by going to 32gig as they describe. I'm wondering if OSX revisions, Mavericks etc, if incompatibilities will start to arise? Or do you think it'll be fine?

thanks!

No, upgrade with confidence. By the way you already asked this in the official Apple forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks, that's great!
No, upgrade with confidence. By the way you already asked this in the official Apple forums.

I asked it at the same time on both actually. I sometimes do that, getting varied takes on an issue from different groups of people etc. can be invaluable. Gotten some great info that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.