Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
When encoding videos using Apple TV 2 setting (iflicks), would the video play in a iPhone or must I use the iPhone preset to work properly?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Well if you are using the Apple TV 2 preset, it should convert it to 720p, so yes it should be able to play on an iOS device. I'm pretty sure, but if someone else gives you definite conformation, that would help as well.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Well if you are using the Apple TV 2 preset, it should convert it to 720p, so yes it should be able to play on an iOS device. I'm pretty sure, but if someone else gives you definite conformation, that would help as well.

Would an Apple TV 2 preset have a higher bitrate setting that would cause it to lag on my 4S?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Would an Apple TV 2 preset have a higher bitrate setting that would cause it to lag on my 4S?

I'm no expert at encoding video (I know enough to get around but am by no means an advanced user), but I think you should be fine. I mean you can always try one and then if it's laggy, re-encode it. Maybe someone with more intelligence on the topic can jump in, as there are many great guys on here that probably forget more stuff in an hour than I could ever wish to know about encoding ;).

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013

According to Apple's website the 4s should handle High Profile 1080p mp4s. I have tried Apple TV 3 settings and about 50% of the time the videos play smoothly and the other half the videos the audio and video didn't sync (I'm guessing bitrate). Using this information the 4s should play Apple TV 2 should be playable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.