Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
So the IR receiver on my iMac isn't working. I've got a handful of Apple remotes, and none of them seem to work with my iMac.

It's worked in the past, but come to think of it, I haven't used a remote since my iMac's Hard Drive was replaced under the recent Seagate recall. Is it possible that Apple disconnected the IR receiver or otherwise damaged it during that repair?

Alternatively, it could just be something on the OS side of things. How can I check if it's working?

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Did you trying going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... to check if there's a check mark on Disable remote control infrared receiver

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Obviously there is. Google it or YouTube it and see for yourself. I'm not sure what OS version your running but on Mavericks it's buried under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... On other OS versions of OS X I think it's the same or different but still in Security & Privacy menu of System Preferences. I was on ML before Mavericks and I remember it was located in Security & Privacy menu but can't remember where exactly in that menu is it located but Google it

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
See below where it's located on Mavericks but I think it's located in the same location on Mountain Lion and other OS but Google or YouTube it though

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
This is what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 254

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Are you on Snow Leopard cause I think it should be in the General section of Security & Privacy settings of System Preferences but on Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks it's buried in the Advanced... section in Security & Privacy settings

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
That's strange. Your on Mountain Lion then it should be in the Advanced... section in Security & Privacy settings. I would contact Apple Tech support or hit the Apple Support Communities to get to the bottom of this.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
That's strange. Your on Mountain Lion then it should be in the Advanced... section in Security & Privacy settings. I would contact Apple Tech support or hit the Apple Support Communities to get to the bottom of this.

Ugh, I was afraid of this. This thing isn't exactly a joy to drag into The Apple Store and my Applecare is up on top of that.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I think it's just busted, unfortunately. I'll just hope whomever my iMac goes to in the future doesn't even know that there's an IR sensor in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.