Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digidee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hello, I have an older AirPort Extreme that has not been setup for several years. i'm trying to set it up now but can't because my Airport Utility is too new and the firmware is too old.

This version of AirPort Utility requires this AirPort Extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information.

is the message that i receive.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
You can always download an older version of Airport Utility. I'm guess you have the latest Airport Utility app 6.3 or something like that. You can separately download an older version of Airport Utility and update your firmware from the older Airport utility from Apple support downloads page

ticzon

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Follow this guide to get the old version of Airport Utility installed and it should work.

I tried this method just yesterday, and it didn't work for me.

To solve my problem:
Downloaded the older version of Airport Utility and open the dmg file with the Shareware called Pacifist to extract the Airport Utility. The Airport Utility will be in the Application Folder -> Utility Folder. I save the old Airport Utility on the desktop and placed it in a new folder called Old Airport Utility. Then I save the folder in my Utility folder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I tried this method just yesterday, and it didn't work for me.

I just went to that site and did the downloads and followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I am on ML 10.8.4. Dunno what you may have done wrong, but it works.

ticzon

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
I just went to that site and did the downloads and followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I am on ML 10.8.4. Dunno what you may have done wrong, but it works.

I'm on Lion. Maybe there is difference between Lion and ML when running the script. I did it several times and got an error each time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.