Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lornaevo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
New York, NY
This is what my mac icons look like? How to I change them to the silver icons?

photo 2.JPG

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I'll leave the post above, in case it is useful for anyone who wants to change an icon.

But the OP, I have a MUCH more simple solution.

Just right-click on the Macintosh HD icon, select Get Info. Then click on the icon in the top left corner and hit the <delete> key on your keyboard. It may ask you for a password.

This restores the icon to its default.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Doesn't the yellow mean it's reading it as an external drive?

Yes. It appears the OP is likely booting from a TB external, or the internal drive already had its original icon replaced somehow.

Anyway, as Chippy explained, drive icons can be copy and pasted through the "Get Info" information box. The original silver drive icon can be copied from an internal drive on the system and pasted to another drive, internal or external.

stayupforever99

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
Did nobody look closer at the green text on the bottom left of the image. One word that really sticks out is Hackintosh, the issue is not to do with the icons but rather the disks not being recognised as built in. There are quite a few fixes for this I would recommend a look at insanleymac. Another big give away since when was there a mac with an i5 2500k cpu

Last edited:

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Did nobody look closer at the green text on the bottom left of the image. One word that really sticks out is Hackintosh, the issue is not to do with the icons but rather the disks not being recognised as built in. There are quite a few fixes for this I would recommend a look at insanleymac. Another big give away since when was there a mac with an i5 2500k cpu

Didn't even open the image to be honest ;-)

Lornaevo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
New York, NY

That's right. This machine is a Hackintosh. I also have a 2012 MBP. This was an old windows machine I wasn't using and decided to load ML on there.

Everything works great except for those little annoyances.

----------

Thanks I got it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.