Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac Mini Again Shipping Within 24 Hours in the U.S.

Last week, Mac mini shipping times slipped to 5-7 days, but it appears that Apple's inventory has normalized over the weekend as shipping times (via 9to5Mac) for the standard Mac mini have returned to 24 hours in both the United States and Canada.

Mac mini shipping times for many other countries around the world remain at 5 to 7 days, as do shipping times for the Mac mini Server, so it is unclear whether or not there is a simple product shortage or if the continued 5 to 7 day worldwide shipping time is indicative of a possible refresh.

The Mac mini, which was last updated in October of 2012, is a potential candidate for an upgrade to Haswell processors. Several other computers in Apple's lineup are expected to be refreshed with Haswell processors as well, possibly during August or September.

Article Link: Mac Mini Again Shipping Within 24 Hours in the U.S.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2
CrazyForApple
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
That's weird, I thought they were going to update the Mac mini soon but maybe they won't
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
richeyty
macrumors member

Aww man...
richeyty is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Razeus
macrumors 68030

I never really understood the point of the Mac mini to be honest.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
tubular
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Among other things, to not send a perfectly functional LCD screen to the landfill every few years just because it's literally welded to an outdated machine.
tubular is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

booooooooo
Asclepio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You don't understand the point in selling a computer without monitor, keyboard or mouse? Isn't that how MOST people upgrade computers, since they already own a monitor, keyboard and mouse?
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:56 AM   #8
brandonx76
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks - needed a reminder to install Plex (already running Twonky and iTunes media server)
brandonx76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Razeus
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
You don't understand the point in selling a computer without monitor, keyboard or mouse? Isn't that how MOST people upgrade computers, since they already own a monitor, keyboard and mouse?
Not if you own an iMac.

And once you configure it not to have gimped hard drive speed and more RAM, the price now is that you might was well get a more powerful computer. Also, the lack of GPU is baffling this day and age.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonx76 View Post
Thanks - needed a reminder to install Plex (already running Twonky and iTunes media server)
Apple TV is much cheaper.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
tubular
macrumors member

Quote:
Not if you own an iMac.
Which first-time Mac buyers, who already have monitors, keyboards, and mice, don't.

For $1300 I can buy a 2.7GHz quad-core iMac with 8GB and a gorgeous screen I will later have to throw away as it is literally welded in place.

Or I can buy a pre-refresh Mac mini with 2.6GHz quad-core and 8GB, use my already-have-it screen, my already-have-it mouse, my already-have-it keyboard, and buy three hundred dollars worth of pizza and beer. After the refresh, this deal will probably be even better.
tubular is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:17 PM   #11
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

Quote:
A top end mini will Geekbench as well as a top end rMBP. In the past it may have been a niche market but over the coming years, with the improvements in integrated graphics, it will be a much wiser choice than an iMac.
pancakedrawer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:23 PM   #12
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Not if you own an iMac.

And once you configure it not to have gimped hard drive speed and more RAM, the price now is that you might was well get a more powerful computer. Also, the lack of GPU is baffling this day and age.

In your iMac's, did you buy the memory and SSD upgrades from Apple? I bet not. We Mac Mini owners don't either. The Mac Mini is also easier to upgrade than than the current generation iMacs....

----------

Quote:
Apple TV is much cheaper.
But you kind of need a back end computer to take full advantage of the AppleTV don't you?

Edit: You really should look at the Geekbench scores. The Mid ($800) Mini beats all but the i7 based iMacs. That means you have to spend AT LEAST 1699 for the 21.5" model with the 3.1ghz processor to match the "mid" range Mini. That's a lot of cash to spend on upgrades (even Apple's).
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Kevsta26
macrumors regular

I knew it. I never even speculated that there would be a new Mac Mini, I just thought it was a short supply.

However, I was sort of surprised... Apple typically never has a limited supply on anything thats been out as long as 279 days.
Kevsta26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

It would have been a pretty weird time to refresh the mini. It will most likely get a silent refresh as usual with either the retina MacBook Pros or the iMac.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Dan--
macrumors regular

Boo. My mom needs a new computer. Her Core 2 Duo mini is getting long in the tooth, and I've got dibs on it for an iTunes server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
But you kind of need a back end computer to take full advantage of the AppleTV don't you?
I wish they wouldn't artificially handicap the ATV. Such a nice piece of equipment with good capability, but could be great with some relatively minor software changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Edit: You really should look at the Geekbench scores. The Mid ($800) Mini beats all but the i7 based iMacs. That means you have to spend AT LEAST 1699 for the 21.5" model with the 3.1ghz processor to match the "mid" range Mini. That's a lot of cash to spend on upgrades (even Apple's).
The mini has made some great strides as a desktop machine. However, I wish there was a model that traded some of its ultimate small size for some desktop grade parts.

Dan
Dan-- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:51 PM   #16
tubular
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-- View Post
Her Core 2 Duo mini is getting long in the tooth, and I've got dibs on it for an iTunes server.
My situation too, sort of. I have a circa-2010 Core 2, and I'm itching for a couple more cores. The current one would make a nice iTunes hub, given the very low power consumption when it sleeps. But I can't justify it now, with the hanging possibility of a refresh in the next season or so.

I've upgraded the hard drive on it -- a little tricky, because you've literally got screws that screw into screws, but doable.

The real kicker for me, the sticking point I keep returning to, is the idea that
the iMac is now literally welded shut. They may was well stencil on the back: No Repairs or Upgrades Possible.
tubular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:59 PM   #17
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not if you own an iMac.

And once you configure it not to have gimped hard drive speed and more RAM, the price now is that you might was well get a more powerful computer. Also, the lack of GPU is baffling this day and age..
If you own an iMac, you already have a keyboard and mouse. And your old iMac can be used as the monitor.

Way to change the topic though. The original reply was why buy a computer without a mouse, keyboard and monitor, which I dare say is the way MOST desktop computers are bought. I wasn't for or against the idea of a Mac Mini.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Dan--
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular View Post
My situation too, sort of. I have a circa-2010 Core 2, and I'm itching for a couple more cores. [...]
The real kicker for me, the sticking point I keep returning to, is the idea that
the iMac is now literally welded shut. They may was well stencil on the back: No Repairs or Upgrades Possible.
A slightly larger case than the mini, with desktop parts instead of laptop parts, or a Mac Pro style cylinder with desktop, not server parts. I think either might work.

We need the tweener desktop model, as the iMac just does not do it for a lot of folks.

Dan
Dan-- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #19
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
It would have been a pretty weird time to refresh the mini.
By itself, perhaps. But maybe they will update the Thunderbolt Display at the same time.
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:08 PM   #20
litmag01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular View Post
...The real kicker for me, the sticking point I keep returning to, is the idea that
It is a waste. Can you still use the iMac as just a display? Then maybe just hook a mini up to it? Just an idea. That way you can still keep the cool display.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924#1

Last edited by litmag01; Jul 29, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
litmag01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:15 PM   #21
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMyMac View Post
By itself, perhaps. But maybe they will update the Thunderbolt Display at the same time.
Yes, by itself. Just curious, why does the ACD need an update before Thunderbolt 2? Or are you thinking both the ACD and the mini will have TB2? Is it for USB 3.0? I don't think the next ACD will be retina due to price and yields.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:34 PM   #22
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-- View Post
Boo. My mom needs a new computer. Her Core 2 Duo mini is getting long in the tooth, and I've got dibs on it for an iTunes server.

I wish they wouldn't artificially handicap the ATV. Such a nice piece of equipment with good capability, but could be great with some relatively minor software changes.

The mini has made some great strides as a desktop machine. However, I wish there was a model that traded some of its ultimate small size for some desktop grade parts.

Dan

I agree with all of this and I'm an owner of 4 ATV's and a Mac Mini. ATV's would be nicer with a few more options and a Desktop placed between the Mac Pro and the Mini (without screen) has been requested for a long time. We won't get it.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:09 PM   #23
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Yes, by itself. Just curious, why does the ACD need an update before Thunderbolt 2?
So that the Mac Pro can go back to being first to have everything. I think Apple would like that.

Quote:
Or are you thinking both the ACD and the mini will have TB2? Is it for USB 3.0?
Sadly no TB2 on this Display update... Apple don't give a damn....
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Johnny Vegas
macrumors member

I believe the Mac mini will be the last Mac updated to Haswell, with likely a new design. I predict first quarter 2014.

It really is too bad that I have come to loathe Apple re-designs. I hope my prediction is wrong and they leave it alone for another year, but I expect a glued shut case with limited ports...
Johnny Vegas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:09 PM   #25
ResPublica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
I believe the Mac mini will be the last Mac updated to Haswell, with likely a new design. I predict first quarter 2014.

It really is too bad that I have come to loathe Apple re-designs. I hope my prediction is wrong and they leave it alone for another year, but I expect a glued shut case with limited ports...
The Mac mini currently has some features the iMac lacks; FireWire 800, HDMI, Line In and upgradeble memory. Apple's obsession with thin design could remove those.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion