Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fourth beta of iOS 7, which begins a number of improvements, changes, and bug fixes to the operating system, including a designed lockscreen, Notification Center improvements, an updated look for Safari's bookmark menu, and more.

iOS 7 beta 4 also brings a slew of minor interface tweaks and improvements that make the fourth version of the beta feel both faster and more polished. Our forum members have noted multiple enhancements that have been bundled into the release:

Lockscreen - Slide to Unlock has been updated with a shifting highlight color and an arrow that draw attention to the area on the lockscreen. The arrow that denoted the Notification Center is now a line shape.

slidetounlock.jpg
Mail - Swiping to delete inbox messages from the Mail app is quicker thanks to a smoother delete animation that eliminates slight lag.

Notification Center - The different sections of the Notification Center can now be switched between by swiping left and right. There is also a new notification for completed uploads.

AirPlay - There are new AirPlay icons.

Siri - Siri's help menu now includes suggestions for question and answer queries.

sirioptions.jpg
Apps - The camera includes a relocated HDR button and the Reminders app now offers Search functionality.

Icons - Safari and Mail appear to have slightly tweaked gradient designs.

gradient.jpg
Folders - The fade animation for folders located in the dock has been updated to function properly.

Phone - The Call button has been slightly altered to take up less of the phone's screen and the Answer/Decline buttons have also been updated.

call.jpg
Messages - Messages app now uses the first name and last initial of a contact in a chat conversation rather than the full name.

Search - The iPhone's search functionality (initiated with a downward swipe on the screen) now includes a "Cancel" option.

searchoption.jpg
Safari - Buttons for Bookmarks, Shared Links, and Reading List have been redesigned with icons rather than labels.

Screenshot API - As noted by 9to5Mac, iOS 7 Beta 4 includes a new screenshot detection API that solves an issue preventing Snapchat from detecting screenshots.

screenshotnotification.jpg
Apple TV - iOS 7 includes a feature that allows an Apple TV to be automatically set up using an iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth. (Thanks, Ethan!)

appletvios7.jpg
Additional features in iOS 7 beta 4 will be added here as they are discovered. Apple is likely to continue pushing regular updates for iOS 7, bringing minor performance boosts and changes ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected to come in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta 4 Tidbits: Lockscreen Redesign, Notification Center Improvements and New Search Options

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Honestly not a fan of the Screenshot API fix. I don't use Snapchat, but IMO it's none of anyone's business if I take a screenshot on my device.

As far as the other updates are concerned, be curious to hear feedback from the Dev community on the continued improvements, or any new bugs. Really hoping for speed, stability, and battery life improvements.

Last edited:

ryant601

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Also added back is the option to shuffle all songs of a certain artist. For example, we can now shuffle all Led Zeppelin songs. Before we were limited to playing certain albums shuffled. Bothered me.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I still wish they changed the Photos icon to the one on the right. :(

ZpFVm6L.png

Last edited:

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
So far, so good. There is ALWAYS room to improve, though. Let's not disappoint, Apple. I'm coming off a 3GS, and I hope my wait has been worth it.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Really wish Skype would update their app already. They are devs for iOS so i assume they have access to these beta's too.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Perplexed by the very minor icon changes (I would never have noticed the difference). I doubt they have plans to significantly change the icons, now they're polishing them off, essentially.

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
The current location icon in maps is now "flatter" than beta3s aqua one. It also pulses differently.

Last edited:

HouD

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Hmm, the WiFi icon is slightly obscured.
'AT&T M-Cell' is one of the longer carrier names (mine just says '3'). That and the wider signal meter - not much space left on that side.

I agree with you. Hopefully they make the signal indicators smaller so we have less clutter in the status bar.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
but people on this forum told me Apple will never tweak the icons from beta 1, because they're so perfect.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
There are quite a few enhancements in b4. I am posting all of my findings with screenshots on my blog, if you are interested to see.
I am happy that Apple made it easier to see when the shift button is pressed. Now only the arrow is bold.
Also the music.app has an option to load all music from iCloud. This was missing in the previous betas...

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
The change to the lock screen is much better. For some reason I was always tried to swipe up to unlock even though I know the standard behavior.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Hm. The minor gradient tweak to the Safari icon seems to imply that this icon is staying as it is now. I doubt they'd tweak it if a new icon was forthcoming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.