|Jul 29, 2013, 04:53 PM||#1|
File Sharing - Where to Start?
Hi All - a newbie question - now about 3 months into owning a MBP & new iMac (latest hardware & OS X updates) - home network w/ an Apple AirPort Extreme (also have my old PC in a back room w/ a Wi-Fi connection - attached to 2 older printers & a newer Canon scanner).
For the last month, one of my projects has been to scan in hundreds of old slides & family photos - all are now on the old PC hard drive & also on a USB drive. The new iMac is for my wife (cabled into the router) while my MBP is Wi-Fi (for me) - what I would like to do is put all of these scanned images onto the iMac and then be able to access the folders on the iMac under both her's & my users' accounts, and also be able to grab selected images onto my MBP to upload to various websites.
I know that this involves setting up 'file sharing' but what are my easiest options to accomplish these goals, i.e. to share the same 'photos' on the iMac & to also grab selected ones wirelessly w/ my MBP? I already have some ideas of the process but would like to go in the right direction from the start - thanks as always. Dave
|Jul 29, 2013, 05:42 PM||#2|
Easiest way would be as follows.
• Create a folder on the root level of the iMac HD. Label it such as "Family Photos"
• Turn on File Sharing in the system preferences under Sharing.
• Add the Family Photos folder to the shared folders area of sharing.
• Give users access using the Users section of sharing.
• Turn on SMB sharing under options if you plan on having a PC access the share.
• Other Mac users can access the shared folder by using the Connect To Server option in the Finder.
- For a Mac user - connect to the share using Command+K (afp://yourIPaddress)
- For a Windows user - connect to the share using the Run command (\\yourIPaddress)
• If your wife is logged into her account on the iMac, she can access the folder directly by just going to the shared folder on the root level of the HD.
|Jul 30, 2013, 10:40 AM||#3|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|File sharing||freeway29||iMac||2||Dec 6, 2013 05:28 PM|
|Screen sharing works, File Sharing doesn't (back to my mac)||sf23103||OS X Mavericks (10.9)||0||Nov 12, 2013 04:31 PM|
|File sharing in 10.8||Martin29||Mac Applications and Mac App Store||5||Aug 15, 2012 04:04 PM|
|Resolved: Does anyone have a home server for file sharing? Quick file sharing ?||kettlecorn||MacBook Pro||0||Jul 10, 2012 11:43 PM|
|File Sharing is Sharing Too Many Files?||aircanman||iMac||5||May 31, 2012 07:10 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.