Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mounties99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Hey gang,

I'm in the market for a MBA for school but I've currently got a 15" MBP so it's not very urgent. I was wondering if anyone had a rough idea as to when Apple starts releasing current gen hardware into their refurb'd store. I can take advantage of the education pricing right now but the discount isn't really all that attractive compared to the refurb prices.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
It's usually at least a few months before new models start showing up as refurbs. They usually start with small discounts too... around 15%

It used to be that the education discounted machines ended up being roughly the same price as the refurbished machines... is that not the case anymore? To be fair, it's been a decade since I bought a Mac with an education discount.

Edit: Also, I definitely wouldn't expect refurbished MBAs until after the back-to-school promotion ends at the least.

mounties99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
It's usually at least a few months before new models start showing up as refurbs. They usually start with small discounts too... around 15%

It used to be that the education discounted machines ended up being roughly the same price as the refurbished machines... is that not the case anymore? To be fair, it's been a decade since I bought a Mac with an education discount.

Edit: Also, I definitely wouldn't expect refurbished MBAs until after the back-to-school promotion ends at the least.

Appreciate the response. The back to school discounts on the air isn't amazing. It's $50 on the base model and about 10% on any upgrades. It's a little cheaper to use my EPP plan however I'd miss out on the $100 app store gift card.

the mid-2012 13" MBA with 8gb, i7 and 256gb ssd is going for $1199 (Canadian) in the refurbed section. Pricing out a similar haswell version sees the educational pricing around $1,449 with the same configuration. Sounds like I may have to pull the trigger now if I want one any time soon.

Thanks again.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
Even with the $100 gift card, the discount isn't 15% on a spec'ed out Haswell 13".

I'm waiting for refurb personally.

pdfloveing

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Even with the $100 gift card, the discount isn't 15% on a spec'ed out Haswell 13". thanks
jw7q

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.