Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple TV Beta Software Adds iTunes Music Purchases

Along with the new iOS 7 beta 4 and iTunes 11 releases, Apple has also seeded version 5.4 of its Apple TV software to developers.

The third beta of the Apple TV software includes (via Schimanke.com) a function that allows users to purchase music from the iTunes store, a feature that was removed from earlier versions of the Apple TV software.

iTunes Music purchases can be made from the Music icon on the home screen of the Apple TV, which offers an iTunes Store-style interface.

The function is demonstrated in the video below:

Both individual songs and entire albums can be purchased and listened to using the new function on the Apple TV. The feature, along with iTunes Radio and a "Conference Room Mode" designed for business and academic settings, will be available for public use in the fall.

As noted in our post detailing the smaller changes in iOS 7, the Apple TV can also now be set up with an iPhone or an iPad running iOS 7.

The updated Apple TV software is expected to be available alongside iOS 7 later this year.

Article Link: Apple TV Beta Software Adds iTunes Music Purchases
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Wow so amazing ;-)

Just give me iplayer 4od etc
markfc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
iPusch
macrumors 6502

Apple TV UI design doesn't fit to the cleaner look of iOS 7... Never been a big fan of all the blue and black *eugh* Apple! Now or...in a few years -.-
iPusch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Apple TV UI design doesn't fit to the cleaner look of iOS 7... Never been a big fan of all the blue and black *eugh* Apple! Now or...in a few years -.-
I'm sure they will get to it. Forstall hasn't been gone a year yet.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5
jowie
macrumors 6502a

There's an Apple TV Dev Program??

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Funny, I'd have said pretty much the flip of that.
jowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:31 PM   #6
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
There's an Apple TV Dev Program??
It's under the iOS.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:48 PM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68030

a price redesign would be great too
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

What build number is this?
KattDaDon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:13 PM   #9
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

Huh? What's that? The Watch ABC app is FINALLY available for the AppleTV?

Oh. No?? It's still mainly for people who want subscription services like Hulu and Netflix? Damn. Well, I'm going back to sleep. Let me know when the free (ad-supported) content arrives, or they give me an option to cut out the TV portion of my cable bill...
TheRealTVGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Regbial
macrumors regular

All I really want for my Apple TV... is a VLC app. That's all it really needs..
Regbial is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Come on apple, give me Amazon Prime, VUDU and Flixster. At the very least one of them
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:28 PM   #12
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Come on apple, give me Amazon Prime, VUDU and Flixster. At the very least one of them
considering Amazon Prime represents the competing media market, i doubt we'll see it.

ask yourself instead -- why dont Amazon or others enable their current iOS apps to use AirPlay beaming?
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

What I would like to see is "Songs in this show/Movie." You hear a song you like and can hold down the center button (same one to bring up the subtitles) and a list of movie scores come up!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:41 PM   #14
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

I just wanna know the build number for 5.4 beta
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:57 PM   #15
billystlyes
macrumors 6502a

Meh, I'm Chromecasting almost 15000 songs for $35 though Google Music with all my Android devices and Macs.
billystlyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #16
chabig
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystlyes View Post
Meh, I'm Chromecasting almost 15000 songs for $35 though Google Music with all my Android devices and Macs.
That must sound like a jumbled mess!
chabig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
considering Amazon Prime represents the competing media market, i doubt we'll see it.

ask yourself instead -- why dont Amazon or others enable their current iOS apps to use AirPlay beaming?
Actually, you can use Flixster, VUDU and Amazon Prime in all other iOS devices and they don't compete w/ the app store so your point is moot.
Airplay has other legal reasons that have nothing to do w/ 'competing media market'
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTVGuy View Post
Huh? What's that? The Watch ABC app is FINALLY available for the AppleTV?

Oh. No?? It's still mainly for people who want subscription services like Hulu and Netflix? Damn. Well, I'm going back to sleep. Let me know when the free (ad-supported) content arrives, or they give me an option to cut out the TV portion of my cable bill...
Why would cable providers/TV stations want to give you free content?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:47 PM   #19
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

OMG can somebody please tell me what freaking build number is 5.4 beta already... Damn! I've asked twice already.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:53 PM   #20
anubis72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
I'm sure they will get to it. Forstall hasn't been gone a year yet.
Did he have anything to do with the UI on the Apple TV? Anyway, yeah, it's overdue for a makeover. But all that (iOS7) white on the TV screen would sear my eyeballs...
anubis72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis72 View Post
Did he have anything to do with the UI on the Apple TV? Anyway, yeah, it's overdue for a makeover. But all that (iOS7) white on the TV screen would sear my eyeballs...
The AppleTV shares the iOS 6 aesthetic. Glossiness, similar icons.

I imagine it would have a black look, like the Movies section of iTunes in iOS 7.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:32 PM   #22
slu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystlyes View Post
If I didn't already have an AppleTV on every TV in my house, I would be doing the same.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:51 PM   #23
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Why would cable providers/TV stations want to give you free content?
I have a digital antenna connected to my HDTV in order to pick up on my local, digital stations. They broadcast programming, I watch the programming. When the Neilsen Ratings company calls my home and asks what I'm watching, I tell them the digital channel. The ratings for the channel go up, therefore the station can sell more advertising and sell it for a higher spot rate. Then the station can pay their bills.

As far as the cable companies go (and the cell providers as well) All I want is a wide, fast, un-throttled, unlimited, guaranteed data pipe. I'll handle everything else from there...
TheRealTVGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:43 AM   #24
giffut
macrumors 6502

I am still hoping for the Apple TV App Store - and frankly considering: I have no idea what they are waiting - or fearing - for. This will catapult the Apple TV to the masses Think of it: Games, TV and streaming apps, light
multimedia and browsing, it's endless.

Oh, how I wish for a jailbreak of the Apple TV 3: And using VNC remote access to my Macbook.
giffut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:16 AM   #25
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
What I would like to see is "Songs in this show/Movie." You hear a song you like and can hold down the center button (same one to bring up the subtitles) and a list of movie scores come up!
This is a brilliant idea, and is really of the type of clever innovation in the space of convenience that I'd expect from Apple.
EmpyreanUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion