Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
iphnhelp
macrumors member

Terrible Yahoo maps makes iPhone weather wrong

I live in the Burbank, CA area and the weather on my iPhone has always shown my current location, using GPS, as Los Angeles, CA. And the weather is different enough between the two cities that it's getting annoying.

I traced this back to the fact that Yahoo is providing the weather, and Yahoo uses Naveteq for maps, and Naveteq maps shows a large part of the Burbank/ Studio City area as Los Angeles. So when it seems my location in that area it looks it up on the Naveteq/ Yahoo map and it is listed as Los Angeles so it shows weather from Los Angeles.

Very frustrating. I've used Naveteq map reporter to suggest they change it but I'm not holding my breath. Wish I could send a request to Yahoo but can't find any support site for suggestions.

Anyone else have this problem?
iphnhelp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

It's often off by 10 degrees or more here.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
waa1futs
Banned

Go in your weather app.

Press the "i" symbol in bottom right.

Press the "+" sign in upper left.

Type "Burbank, CA" and click on it in the search results.

Done
waa1futs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
iphnhelp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Go in your weather app.

Press the "i" symbol in bottom right.

Press the "+" sign in upper left.

Type "Burbank, CA" and click on it in the search results.

Done
Right. But then you don't get accurate weather in the notification screen or any other place in iOS where the weather is integrated with the gps.
iphnhelp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphnhelp View Post
Right. But then you don't get accurate weather in the notification screen or any other place in iOS where the weather is integrated with the gps.
Feel free to try any of the many weather apps in the AppStore then.

There are so many they even have their own category
waa1futs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphnhelp View Post
And even then it doesn't work right, it's always off by several degrees so I don't use the notification center for weather anymore it's just so inaccurate.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:38 AM   #7
jer04
macrumors regular

For me, the location is correct, but accuracy of forecast is horrible. I gave up on that built-in weather app, downloaded one from App Store instead.
jer04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

The op doesn't want a weather app, he/she wants apple"s default weather to be accurate so he/she doesn't need to launch an app to see the weather.

Just another thing apple does poorly and stubbornly. It is not too much to ask that apple use a credible source for default weather.
Italianblend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
ericg301
macrumors 6502a

Yahoo gets their weather data from the The Weather Channel. Have you tried that route?
ericg301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:11 PM   #10
C DM
macrumors G5

Are you sure that what Yahoo! uses for mapping is involved in iPhone's weather app? It could easily be that the phone itself figures out the local location and then uses that to ask Yahoo!'s weather service (which uses The Weather Channel weather data) to provide the weather information for that location.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:54 PM   #11
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Settings - Privacy - Location Services - Weather - OFF

Now open weather app, add Burbank, drag it to the top of your list of places. Finally, go back into weather app and make sure Burbank is showing on page 1

Close weather app. Drag down notification center. Burbank should be displayed. .

Admittedly not useful if you travel a lot, but it's a way to do away with the GPS-dependent weather info (and associated battery hit every time you pull down Notification Center)
dotme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:24 AM   #12
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

While we're on the topic is there anyway to get a different notification centre widget for another weather provider?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:45 AM   #13
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
While we're on the topic is there anyway to get a different notification centre widget for another weather provider?
nope, just what Apple provides.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Menel
macrumors 601

Odd that Yahoo uses two completely different data sources for weather...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375290996.250443.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	425776
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:10 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Odd that Yahoo uses two completely different data sources for weather...

Attachment 425776
The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground, so in a sense really different weather sources.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:47 PM   #16
cole01
macrumors 6502

I've recently been having the same issue...it used to work fine before and now it most often displays "Los Angeles" as my current weather location when I'm in Santa Clarita...and that's even further from Los Angeles than Burbank. What gives, Apple? I hope this is fixed in later software updates...annoying.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone