Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
BlockEight88
macrumors regular

Red face iPhone 4S Only Club

To those of us who still use the iPhone 4s, post here. I have tried them all, and that includes:

Samsung Galaxy S II (nice phone, felt cheap, perfect display)
Samsung Galaxy S III (nice phone for those like Android, very comfortable to use)
Samsung Galaxy Note (Very laggy, horrible to hold up to ear. Way too big for everyday use)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Better to hold, but still way too big. Optimized TW software, but still Android)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (not usable out of the box due to the horrible lag. The phone is bloated to death by AT&T garbage.

iPhone 5 (Performance wise, it blows the 4S away) Couldn't stand the taller screen and problems the iPhone 5 had. Rattling caused by loose sleep/wake buttons, scuffs, dust under screen and in camera lens)

Then there is the iPhone 4s, which is the phone I always go back too. I just think 3.5" is perfect, though I wish Apple would make the iPhone about 4.3". Not a fan of the HSPA+ 14.4 modem inside, but it gets the job done. The camera still is right up there with other 2013 smartphones.

Most importantly, the best thing the iPhone 4S has is amazing build quality and feels very solid. So who else is going to continue using their iPhone 4S until the iPhone 5S/6 comes out this fall?

Android is really nice for those who have never used an iPhone. The Galaxy Smartphones have trouble doing basic stuff, like providing a nice browsing experieince, taking pictures fast, and headphone output. Iphone 4S still gets the best signal!

Signed,

iPhone 4S lover :P
BlockEight88 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
waa1futs
Banned

iPhone 4S lover here as well

I've thought about keeping this baby forever, even just paying the $80 once the battery goes bad or the $149 for a new replacement if it ever goes kaput.

Sadly though, I think once the iPhone 5s and 5c are unveiled I think the 4s will become completely extinct

It's a sham as the build quality and pocket ability are unmatched by today's smartphones.
waa1futs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
BlockEight88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post

I've thought about keeping this baby forever, even just paying the $80 once the battery goes bad or the $149 for a new replacement if it ever goes kaput.

Sadly though, I think once the iPhone 5s and 5c are unveiled I think the 4s will become completely extinct

It's a sham as the build quality and pocket ability are unmatched by today's smartphones.
Exactly. The 4S has build quality. I always hated when people complained about the glass back. I've dropped mine many times and its fine. I believe Apple changed the beautiful glass back because so many people complained.

All the Galaxy smartphones creak if any pressure is applied to them.
BlockEight88 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i still have my one year old 4S and find no reason to envy anyone who uses any other phone.

sometimes i even joke about people having phones larger than my TV when i see a friend pulling out of their pocket these new enormous devices.

we saw it with laptops and now we are seeing it with phones - initially everyone wanted the 15' or even the 17' laptops for their larger screens. then they realised how ridiculously impractical they were to be carrying around. nowadays people settle for the 11 or 13' screens. or even the 9.7' ipad or even smaller ipad mini.

i think apple had a point when they said that bigger is not always better. is the 4S 3.5' ideal? maybe. i dont have a problem with it, but i would definitely consider a 4' screen if it had more breadth and length - just adding to the length wouldnt make me go nuts about it.

but its the craftmanship of the 4S that blows the competition away. it does feel good feeling it in your pocket.
Troneas is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
sometimes i even joke about people having phones larger than my TV when i see a friend pulling out of their pocket these new enormous devices.
Me too!

My friend has a LG Optimus G Pro (5.5 inch screen) and the guy can barely reach the bottom controls one handed

4s is great for both pocketability and build quality.
waa1futs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6
braddick
macrumors 68040

I totally get all the responses above. It is a terrific phone in a near perfect package.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

The design of the 4/4S is my favourite iPhone design to date. I wish they had kept the glass back.
Agent-P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:09 AM   #8
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

I wuv my 4S so much.
iPad Air
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:24 AM   #9
jav6454
macrumors G5

I still don't get why Apple released 4" iPhone. It makes no sense. They tried to disguise it earlier with their ads, but in the end, they just contradicted themselves.

Steve Jobs mentioned way back in 2007 that the iPhone screen size was tested several hundred times and they arrived at the conclusion that 3.5" was where it should be.

In regards to this thread, I still use my 4S. Unluckily for me, the battery is getting to a point where daily usage kills it before the day is over, where as before it lasted me well into the night.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:16 AM   #10
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm posting in an iPhone 4S thread.

#thuglyf

But to reiterate the other points on here, the build quality on the 4 & 4S is exceptional. Really blows away the competition. Although Apple products in general may be expensive, you always know you'll get quality no matter what product you buy.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:18 AM   #11
mlmwalt
macrumors 6502a

My 4s rocks, although it's almost full. Who'd have thought that 32gb wouldn't be enough for a phone. I'm slightly jealous of the LTE speeds, but I don't want a huge screen. I have big hands and find the 4s screen to be a little tight, but I find that better than having to use 2 hands to use a phone. I'll keep my 4s until it's dead. My care + is due to end in Nov. anyway, so after that I'll be one bad fall away from the 5s.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Merkie
macrumors 65816

What do you mean by dust under the screen with the iPhone 5? I think it's impossible, because the touchscreen, display and glass are all one unit.
Merkie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Sticking to my 4s

It's funny, when Apple first released the 5 I would have done anything to get an unlocked version. But by the time they released it 6 weeks later, all flaws were already public, and I realized that I don't like the alumnium back, and really enjoy the glass sandwich design.

So I am sticking to my 4s (Broke my contract and now saving using Net10), at least for the next year or so, until the 6 is released.
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:55 AM   #14
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020

I really love my 4S and I'm not constantly thinking about upgrading. I have good 3G, I'm jail broken and that makes my phone perform better than a stock 4S.

I really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:02 AM   #15
sviato
macrumors 68020

I'm still using a 4S and love it. My biggest complaint is the weight though, using it while lying down and accidentally dropping it on your face isn't pleasant
sviato is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Truefan31
macrumors 65816

I imagine if the 4s had lte a lot of us wouldn't switch
Truefan31 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #17
iSee
macrumors 68040

Wow, I suddenly feel proud and privileged to have a 4s!
(I'm only half joking. Reading these comments has reminded me of its strong points.)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Love my 4s, only complaint is not having 4G (cdma)
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post

Well iOS 7 runs sweet in my 4s so I think we have another year tho I will get the 5s I will keep this baby
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockEight88 View Post
Exactly. The 4S has build quality. I always hated when people complained about the glass back. I've dropped mine many times and its fine. I believe Apple changed the beautiful glass back because so many people complained.

I wish Apple would add a lightening connector and a 4G LTE radio to the 4S and call it a 4L. The "L" could stand for either Lightening connector or LTE, take your pick.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

My upgrade period is coming soon ... And I'm gonna stick with my 4S for another year. This is the first time I haven't been desperate for a new phone at the end of the contract. the 5 is so skinny and light but I kind of prefer my fat, glass phone.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:02 PM   #22
BlockEight88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
I wish Apple would add a lightening connector and a 4G LTE radio to the 4S and call it a 4L. The "L" could stand for either Lightening connector or LTE, take your pick.
That would almost be re-doing the entire phone. Apple should have released it with at least a 21.6 H+ radio instead of the 14.4 radio. When the phone was released, all the current competing smartphones were shipping with HSPA+ 21 and LTE. They had no reason not to include H+ 21. Those on EV-DO networks were just out of luck anyway.
BlockEight88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:04 PM   #23
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
I have tried them all, and that includes:

Samsung Galaxy S III (nice phone for those like Android, very comfortable to use)
Samsung Galaxy Note (Very laggy, horrible to hold up to ear. Way too big for everyday use)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Better to hold, but still way too big. Optimized TW software, but still Android)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (not usable out of the box due to the horrible lag. The phone is bloated to death by AT&T garbage.
Looks to me you have tried a bunch of Samsung devices. That's nowhere near ALL. And no, I don't EXPECT you to have literally tried every single Android device known to man when making that claim, but at least branching out to another OEM would make sense. Or not, whatever makes you happy.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:45 AM   #24
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
To those of us who still use the iPhone 4s, post here. I have tried them all, and that includes:

Until you've owned a Nexus device, you haven't really used Android, Google's operating system. You've used devices that operated and looked the way Samsung intends them to look and operate.

But besides that... I think the 5 is better than the 4S in every way, and I don't miss the 4S at all.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:27 AM   #25
shotta287
macrumors newbie

I totally agree, the 4S has to be my favourite smartphone to date, build quality and looks-wise it is unmatched.
shotta287 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone