Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:37 PM   #1
jmanley1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
iTunes movies: how do they rip 'em?

So, for a very long time now I've been curious to know what software Apple uses to rip movies for iTunes. Surely there is some software that they use in the creation of the films and shows that wind up in the store for sell.

Anyone know?
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Apple doesn't "rip" them; the studios supply them in ProRes 422 HQ format and Apple compresses them down to 5 Mb/s H.264 (likely with something similar to Compressor).
Nermal is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
jmanley1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Wow, that was a quick response. Honestly I was afraid no one would respond.

So 'ProRes 422 HQ' format. Is that something similar to uncompressed like an SD title..would that essentially be a VOB file or something? Sorry I'm not very technical with this stuff.

Is there a way for me to, using an .iso file create a copy of the .iso in 'ProRes 422 HQ'? Sorry for all the newbie questions on this.
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
jmanley1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
So after reading into the Compressor program you mentioned..is that something I can buy myself to use for compressing .iso files? Can it be used outside the confines of Final Cut Pro?
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
ProRes is compressed, but nowhere near as much as the "consumer" compression formats. For example, a 2-hour movie is about 200 GB in ProRes 422 HQ. Aside from some very specific cases, there is no benefit in converting an existing compressed movie into ProRes format.

Compressor can be used standalone and doesn't require Final Cut. It doesn't support as many input formats as, say, HandBrake but it should accept whatever you can play in QuickTime Player. Naturally the files that it produces are guaranteed to work on Apple devices.

Last edited by Nermal; Jul 30, 2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: stuff
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:22 AM   #6
jmanley1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
ProRes is compressed, but nowhere near as much as the "consumer" compression formats. For example, a 2-hour movie is about 200 GB in ProRes 422 HQ. Aside from some very specific cases, there is no benefit in converting an existing compressed movie into ProRes format.

Compressor can be used standalone and doesn't require Final Cut. It doesn't support as many input formats as, say, HandBrake but it should accept whatever you can play in QuickTime Player. Naturally the files that it produces are guaranteed to work on Apple devices.
Thank you for the clarification. Would compressor support an .iso file? Or perhaps a non-copyright protected DVD?
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanley1 View Post
Thank you for the clarification. Would compressor support an .iso file? Or perhaps a non-copyright protected DVD?
Compressor is overkill for what you're apparently trying to do. If you have videos (or DVDs) you want to convert handbrake is the conversion tool you want to use.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Compressor is overkill for what you're apparently trying to do. If you have videos (or DVDs) you want to convert handbrake is the conversion tool you want to use.
Yup, HandBrake is free and should do what you need. Compressor costs I think US$50 and is aimed at professionals (and doesn't read .iso files directly).
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
jmanley1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks all for the responses. I have tried using Handbrake and cannot quite attain the level of quality of my purchased movies.

Not to belabor the point but does Compressor 4 handle .cdr files? When I rip my DVD's via Disk Utility they import as .cdr files. Of course they can be changed to .iso. But I'm curious if Compressor 4 could handle the .cdr?

If it can I would be willing to spend the money to try it, over Handbrake.
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanley1 View Post
Not to belabor the point but does Compressor 4 handle .cdr files? When I rip my DVD's via Disk Utility they import as .cdr files. Of course they can be changed to .iso. But I'm curious if Compressor 4 could handle the .cdr?
No. Compressor requires QuickTime-readable files. HandBrake is unlikely to be the cause of poor quality encodes; you are simply not going to get the same quality out of a DVD that Apple does from its multi-GB source files.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:52 PM   #11
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Very informative Nermal. Thanks a lot for clarifying this.
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Way To Rip Movies? adam044 iPhone 10 Jan 3, 2013 09:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC