Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Long time no post....so cutting the talk....:D

I have a mounting quantity of files....and drives....:eek:...In the range of 12-15 TB. I can trimm out that to 10-12 TB with some work. Well, the thing is this: I come across one LaCie 5 big unit (10 TB), Thunderbolt. Wondering if it is worth to try consolidate my files and do the trimming....

Need to know real world experiences with this hardware. Or suggestions on how to proceed to my storage trouble or about similar hardware, albeit less expensive....

Thanks in advance, as always....:D

:):apple:

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I have a mounting quantity of files....and drives....:eek:...In the range of 12-15 TB. I can trimm out that to 10-12 TB with some work. Well, the thing is this: I come across one LaCie 5 big unit (10 TB), Thunderbolt. Wondering if it is worth to try consolidate my files and do the trimming....

I would not get a LaCie 5Big and store 10TB of data on it. If any one of the 5 drives fails in that setup, you lose everything.

I would definitely recommend a Drobo in this case. A Drobo 5D with 3TB drives would give you almost 11TB of storage, and you'll be protected against a single drive failure. A DroboPro with the same drives would give you over 16TB of storage and protect you against dual drive failure.

And you can mix and match drive sizes, so you might even be able to use some of the drives you're replacing, and you have a lot of freedom to expand later.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

my friend, you had saved me a lot of trouble....Thanks so much....:D....I dont like the prospect of having a disk failing and losing all the info I have. So I would check out the solutions you propose.

How much is the cost of the alternatives you propose? Incidentally this LaCie array can cost me something in the $1300 vecinity....:eek:

Thanks again....:D

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
How much is the cost of the alternatives you propose? Incidentally this LaCie array can cost me something in the $1300 vecinity

You can shop around on any of the normal computer parts websites and configure the capacity that you need. If you don't have any drives that you can use in the array already, you're probably looking at $1500 for the Drobo 5D and 5x3TB drives.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
A mac technician warned me not to purchase Lacie as they get repair or warranty claims from customers of Lacie external devices. He thinks the problem is more of the casing structure. Though I haven't had experiences using Lacie products and may be an isolated case.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Be sure to get NAS or Enterprise rated hard drives. In the event of a drive failure your array can be brought down by an error during the rebuild if you use desktop class hard drives. The only real difference between the two is how they deal with errors.

They are a more expensive but worth it. The best priced ones I know of are the Western Digital Red Drives.

I personally like Synology for the NAS. You can get the DS1513+ or DS1512+ the differences between the two I can find is the DS1513+ is considerably faster, can hold slightly more RAM and has four instead of two gigabit Ethernet ports. You can also expand them with 5bay addons the DX513 or 2bay DX213 (DS1513+ only) their is a two expansion module limit.

If you want a little more room to grow and don't want to add expansion modules you can get the 8-bay DS1812+ or DS1813+. These can also use the same modules. Besides being 8bay they should be pretty much the same as the corresponding 5-bay units.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I would also suggest a good look at the synology stuff. I have an old synology (410 series) that is still happily running in 24/7 some 6years later (and thats still installed in Gibraltar where ambit temps are high).

Their newer boxes (as suggested elsewhere in this thread) are good choices. Data security and one of the best web interfaces in the game. They support time machine also and can run other jobs on them (from web servers and galleries to online encryption, media servers etc).

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
nonsense

I would not get a LaCie 5Big and store 10TB of data on it. If any one of the 5 drives fails in that setup, you lose everything.

This is only true if you have the LaCie set up in RAID 0.

The same thing would happen with a Drobo or any other array setup as RAID 0!

So, you can setup the LaCie with 3 disks in RAID 0 for speed and 2 (hot swappable) disks in Raid 1 for safety.

Of course, with a 10tb version it effectively means you've only got 6tb of RAID 0 space and 2tb of RAID 0. With the 20tb version you'd have 12tb of fast RAID 0 storage. As far as I know - if anyone knows different please correct me!

It depends on what you're using the drive for really. Might be better off using additional cheap USB storage for backup.

It's unfortunate the LaCie doesn't do RAID 5 - but that's why it's cheaper than Drobo and Pegasus boxes.

It'll be faster if you use all the disks in RAID 0 - but that has no redundancy.

I use a thunderbolt 2Big in RAID 0 and it's an excellent drive.

Last edited:

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
To be safe...

There's one thing to keep in mind: A RAID is not a backup. Of course, it can be used as one. However, if you consolidate everything you have on this new device and it fails, you'll have no backup.

Now, the reality is that devices like the ones from Synology, ReadyNAS, Qnap, and the like don't have failures often other than drive failures. But, if the system has a hiccup you could lose everything on the device.

So, my recommendation: Whatever device you get to store your multiple terabytes of data, make sure that you back it up regularly. Good luck.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well people.....

you dont dissapoint me....Thanks all for the input and suggestions. Maybe I have to post some background to this dilemma:

The 5big unit I was considering is sold as a "deal" from a company I know. That deal maybe I can work out still to lower more the 5big unit.Sounds interesting to me jump in that deal, consolidate my stuff in all one place and trimm out old files (I keep bits from computer data/info from 1990 still, seriously....:D.....:eek:).

$1300 I can work out to put them. Synology and RED WD HDDs put me in the $1500-$1700 range... :(

Or maybe I have to go the "El Cheapo" route, making 4-5 individual and trimmed volumes for RED HDDs? I was aware of these discs, but now I am become more interested. So maybe I can buy them and store the info in this way? That solution put me in the $900-$1100 range. But not so convenient and maybe need a better disk cataloging app that I currently uses....

So please, hit me with your bullets, pals....(bullets of opinions,ideas, no real ones...:D)

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
This is only true if you have the LaCie set up in RAID 0.

The same thing would happen with a Drobo or any other array setup as RAID 0!

Get your facts straight:

RAID 0 is less reliable than a single drive because if you lose any single drive in the array because of mechanical failure, you lose all of the data. The only way to store 10TB of data on the 10TB Big5 is to put it in RAID 0 mode. I would not recommend this *at all*.

Drobo is not a RAID 0 setup (in fact it's not really a RAID at all, though it is similar to RAID 5). All of the data on a Drobo is stored in such a way that if a single drive fails, the Drobo can rebuild the data when you replace the drive.

Last edited:

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Get your facts straight:

RAID 0 is less reliable than a single drive because if you lose any single drive in the array because of mechanical failure, you all of the data. The only way to store 10TB of data on the 10TB Big5 is to put it in RAID 0 mode. I would not recommend this *at all*.

Drobo is not a RAID 0 setup (in fact it's not really a RAID at all, though it is similar to RAID 5). All of the data on a Drobo is stored in such a way that if a single drive fails, the Drobo can rebuild the data when you replace the drive.

I didn't say that the Drobo was a RAID 0.

Anyway, I see your point regarding the LaCie.

I was suggesting that it could be setup to offer some redundancy - but that it would sacrifice capacity. Hence my suggestion of using the 20tb version instead.

The Drobo beyondRAID solution does sound quite interesting - I like the idea of it being scalable.

Personally, a thunderbolt array is about speed - I'd still rather have my array in RAID 0 which is going to be faster than the Drobo and have another backup solution.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
It sounds like you need to consider something more than a "consumer-grade" storage solution. The Drobo's are well-regarded, as are the RAID storage devices from OWC. I'm sure exactly what you need is out there somewhere!

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
I keep bits from computer data/info from 1990 still, seriously....:D.....:eek:).

i've got load of really old stuff too - but i keep it on old externals that i hardly ever use rather than have it clutter up my current storage.

perhaps you could think about something like that? and i guess it's worth be completely ruthless with things that are that old....

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Synology!

I second Synology, I have had the 1010+ for more than 2 years now and it only gets better with time, firmware updates have been amazing. It even has airprint now. I love my Synology!

LaCie ships with desktop drives like a lot of "RAID" solutions

Be sure to get NAS or Enterprise rated hard drives. In the event of a drive failure your array can be brought down by an error during the rebuild if you use desktop class hard drives. The only real difference between the two is how they deal with errors.

They are a more expensive but worth it. The best priced ones I know of are the Western Digital Red Drives.

I personally like Synology for the NAS. You can get the DS1513+ or DS1512+ the differences between the two I can find is the DS1513+ is considerably faster, can hold slightly more RAM and has four instead of two gigabit Ethernet ports. You can also expand them with 5bay addons the DX513 or 2bay DX213 (DS1513+ only) their is a two expansion module limit.

If you want a little more room to grow and don't want to add expansion modules you can get the 8-bay DS1812+ or DS1813+. These can also use the same modules. Besides being 8bay they should be pretty much the same as the corresponding 5-bay units.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
LaCie's come with a custom power adaptor, so if it goes faulty you are without your data till you can get a new one shipped from them. Other manufacturers have a built in power supply, just something to think about.

You're better of going for something that supports a standard RAID rather than Drobo, whose RAID equivalent can become problematic.

And as others have said, don't use RAID0, at worst use RAID 5. If you can, use RAID 5+S. The more redundancy you have the more space you lose, so depends how much data you have, and how important it is.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
There's one thing to keep in mind: A RAID is not a backup. Of course, it can be used as one. However, if you consolidate everything you have on this new device and it fails, you'll have no backup.

And "failure" can also mean, destroyed in fire or stolen! You aren't safe without at least a backup (and preferably two or more, and kept at a different location).

The only thing RAID (non-0) buys you is zero downtime from a single drive failure.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
You're better of going for something that supports a standard RAID rather than Drobo, whose RAID equivalent can become problematic.

I'm not sure where that rumor got started, but I've had much more trouble with "standard" RAIDs than I ever have had with my Drobo.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well....

either I look/search/find a nice deal for the DS1513+ or I settle for the DS1512+ . The later put me in the sub $1300-1300 budget, even with WD RED HDDs....:D

Sounds as these are my options. Or "El Cheapo" way.....:eek:

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium

I ended up gutting my existing hard drives and using those to fill 3 NAS devices I bought. Check what you have now, and maybe you can reuse those drives?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
That is....

I ended up gutting my existing hard drives and using those to fill 3 NAS devices I bought. Check what you have now, and maybe you can reuse those drives?

....sensible advice, given the budget constraints. Based in real experience, I like and thank you for it....:D

Maybe have 5 1 TB drives, bought right when first HDDs this capacity come out. A FireWire 1 TB, 6 WD 250 GB externals (USB 2.2) and a lot of old internals (IDE), less than 250 GB.

Really I was hoping to consolidate this stuff and discard all the IDE drives (discard from use, I mean). So no recycling for me, I guess......:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.