Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1
drtyrell
macrumors member

Unhappy How Does One Reinstall Quicktime? Formerly EASY

I had a drive go bad, and I've had to migrate my applications over to a new drive with 10.8 previously installed. At some point my Quicktime previews started to fail in the Finder. I immediately reinstalled 10.8 from the App Store, and only HALF my movie files would preview and or play.

I've removed all the codecs and reinstalled iTunes, which put them all back, and I've updated my permissions a number of times, which did complain about the codec files ONCE. Now there are no errors, but Quicktime is none the wiser / functional.

Back in the day the installer for Quicktime used to be very easy to download and install. Apple has since prevented the removal of the Player from your Applications folder, and has no direct or indirect link to reinstall it.

Given that reinstalling the entire system failed to solve the problem. What would one suggest to a chap in my position?

Thank you in advance.
drtyrell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
chabig
macrumors 65816

So you are beginning anew with a fresh system and some of your videos don't play. It's likely that the broken videos require a codec that didn't come with your fresh install. Try installing Perian and Flip4Mac and report back.
chabig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
drtyrell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
So you are beginning anew with a fresh system and some of your videos don't play. It's likely that the broken videos require a codec that didn't come with your fresh install. Try installing Perian and Flip4Mac and report back.
First, thank you for the response.

I neglected to mention that this problem appears to be localized to the Quicktime Player and the Finder's ability to preview a movie or show it's icon preview (switch on).

When I open a movie in VLC it plays fine. When I convert movies in Wondershare Video, it works fine. When I drop a movie into Safari, it plays fine. Whatever the issue, it seems directly related to some core application layer that both QT and the Finder use.

I now have reinstalled DivX, Perian, Flip4Mac (long time customer), and QT view iTunes.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
drtyrell
macrumors member

Thumbs up

Follow-up:

I redownloaded the 10.8 installer, created a USB stick drive, and reinstalled for the SECOND time. All seems well again. So bizarre.

Thanks for the help!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion