Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sprint Sells 1.4 Million iPhones in Q2 2013, 41% to New Customers

Sprint revealed today in its Q2 2013 results that it had sold 1.4 million iPhones last quarter, with 41% of those iPhones being sold to new customers. The company announced an 8% overall year-over-year growth, posting a record high revenue of $8 billion. This holds steady when compared to the 1.4 million iPhones it sold in the year-ago quarter. Sprint also announced*LTE networks in 41 new markets, bringing its total LTE locations to 151 markets.
Quote:
Eighty-six percent of quarterly Sprint platform postpaid handset sales were smartphones, including approximately 1.4 million iPhonesŪ sold during the quarter. Forty-one percent of iPhone sales were to new customers.
In 2011, Sprint committed to buying $20 billion worth of iPhones from Apple, and launched the iPhone on its prepaid Virgin Mobile USA brand in the year-ago quarter.

Article Link: Sprint Sells 1.4 Million iPhones in Q2 2013, 41% to New Customers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68000

the $20B commitment seems extravagant and beyond reason

edit--
the article does not stipulate until when the $20B in iphones should me completed

Last edited by needfx; Jul 30, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
needfx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

And to think that last quarter sales probably didn't make a big difference. That's like what, 900 million dollars worth of iPhones? Or no?
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Sprint pretty much had to agree to Apple's terms and carry the iPhone. They were churning customers like crazy before they got it. They seem to be doing better now.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Sprint pretty much had to agree to Apple's terms and carry the iPhone. They were churning customers like crazy before they got it. They seem to be doing better now.
It was a save-the-company kind of move.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
iPhonemaster5S
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
It was a save-the-company kind of move.
Yup which it did help sprint a lot, just need to have better LTE coverage now.
iPhonemaster5S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

There's a sucker born every minute. I can't believe people are willing to deal with a slow network, just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Can you believe that some people have to deal with a slow network???

The horror!

There's even people on this planet that don't have adequate shelter, running water or a warm meal! It's like... "It's 2013. C'mon get with the times dude!"

The nerve of those less fortunate!

/s
JayJayAbels is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:52 AM   #9
briankwest77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
There's a sucker born every minute. I can't believe people are willing to deal with a slow network, just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.
I have LTE on Sprint, its NICE... I average over 15mbit most times and as high as 25mbit. Their LTE plans will solve many of their speed issues and should be mostly complete by the end of 2014, 1xAdvanced carrier on 800mhz, 5x5mhz LTE on 800mhz, this should give them better in building voice and data services and fill in many of the coverage gaps sprint suffers from. I hope the next iPhone is Tri-Band LTE on Sprint.
briankwest77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
iPhonemaster5S
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Yup but the even better deal wood be T-mobile because if you live in a good area you can actually have LTE, sprints LTE is non-existent in Denver which is strange because AT&T rolled out 1 year ago, Verizon 2 years ago, T-mobile 3 months ago, Meanwhile we have sprint eating glue right now.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:57 AM   #11
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Sprint lte is actually respectable in my area. Or at least the speed test I ran on my buddies phone was. The problem arises when you leave lte coverage
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:01 AM   #12
iPhonemaster5S
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Sprint lte is actually respectable in my area. Or at least the speed test I ran on my buddies phone was. The problem arises when you leave lte coverage
How far can you actually go before you leave LTE coverage? Meaning are there a lot of holes or is it pretty consistent?

Last edited by iPhonemaster5S; Jul 30, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
iPhonemaster5S is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:13 AM   #13
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankwest77 View Post
I have LTE on Sprint, its NICE... I average over 15mbit most times and as high as 25mbit. Their LTE plans will solve many of their speed issues and should be mostly complete by the end of 2014, 1xAdvanced carrier on 800mhz, 5x5mhz LTE on 800mhz, this should give them better in building voice and data services and fill in many of the coverage gaps sprint suffers from. I hope the next iPhone is Tri-Band LTE on Sprint.
Dream on. LTE won't be mostly complete by the end of 2014.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:29 AM   #14
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonemaster5S View Post
Yup but the even better deal wood be T-mobile because if you live in a good area you can actually have LTE, sprints LTE is non-existent in Denver which is strange because AT&T rolled out 1 year ago, Verizon 2 years ago, T-mobile 3 months ago, Meanwhile we have sprint eating glue right now.
In a lot of areas, like mine in Cleveland, they are completely rebuild the towers. ATT, VZW, TM all just did a few upgrades to get their towers running on LTE. They will have to go back at some point a do major upgrades. Sprint is taking longer, but doing it right. The issue is they have to work with local governments for every tower upgrade. Once they have LTE here, I plan to move to them...
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
iPhonemaster5S
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
In a lot of areas, like mine in Cleveland, they are completely rebuild the towers. ATT, VZW, TM all just did a few upgrades to get their towers running on LTE. They will have to go back at some point a do major upgrades. Sprint is taking longer, but doing it right. The issue is they have to work with local governments for every tower upgrade. Once they have LTE here, I plan to move to them...
Still if I were with sprint I would rather have some LTE coverage than nothing at all and wait until they as ready.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:04 AM   #16
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
the $20B commitment seems extravagant and beyond reason

edit--
the article does not stipulate until when the $20B in iphones should me completed
The original deal was for 4 years. And if I recall correctly, it was quoted as $15Bil, not $20Bil.

Here's a link where Dan Hesse (Sprint's CEO) describes the deal as $15.5 Billion. Shame on Macrumors for calling it a $20Bil deal.

Last edited by ftaok; Jul 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added source link
ftaok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Quote:
How far can you actually go before you leave LTE coverage? Meaning are there a lot of holes or is it pretty consistent?
I've only seen it in that one location. But the owner said he gets lte all around here which is funny. Though signal strength isnt the best. Cape Canaveral area usually isn't on the hit list for new phone tech and it seems sprint went here before some pretty major areas.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

The 41% made a mistake! I've been on Sprint for a few years now and still no beloved LTE in NJ. Only in like 2 cities out of the whole state and I'm pretty sure 1 city is getting that signal from Staten Island, NY
locoboi187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:27 AM   #19
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yup. It's slow alright.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.png
Views:	26
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	425725

----------

Quote:
I get coverage in basically all the areas I go to, which ranges from mid NH, to southern MA, to CT, and southern ME.

The only times I don't have coverage in those areas are the mountains of CT, and backroad areas that I don't ever stop to use my phone at. Other than that, I have 4G in all areas.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:47 AM   #20
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
Yup. It's slow alright.

Attachment 425725

----------

I get coverage in basically all the areas I go to, which ranges from mid NH, to southern MA, to CT, and southern ME.

The only times I don't have coverage in those areas are the mountains of CT, and backroad areas that I don't ever stop to use my phone at. Other than that, I have 4G in all areas.
Yeah, one fluke test shows how great Sprint is, right? Maintain that up and down the coast. I can do that with AT&T and VZW

Stop lying. What a joke. I'm from the area. There is zero LTE in NH, Maine, and VT. In fact, not even one LTE site has been accepted up there to go live.

Even in MA, 54% of sites have been LTE accepted. There are holes in major areas of the city here. No way you are getting "4G everywhere"

I'm not surprised Sprint fans have resorted to lying to make themselves feel better about making a horrible choice on their carrier.

Last edited by AutoUnion39; Jul 31, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:26 PM   #21
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

i'm amazed to see that a carrier like sprint can sell 1.4M iphones in a quarter.
egoistaxx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:34 AM   #22
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah, one fluke test shows how great Sprint is, right? Maintain that up and down the coast. I can do that with AT&T and VZW

Stop lying. What a joke. I'm from the area. There is zero LTE in NH, Maine, and VT. In fact, not even one LTE site has been accepted up there to go live.

Even in MA, 54% of sites have been LTE accepted. There are holes in major areas of the city here. No way you are getting "4G everywhere"

I'm not surprised Sprint fans have resorted to lying to make themselves feel better about making a horrible choice on their carrier.
It's not a fluke test if it's basically all of New England. I also get great service in Nashville, but I haven't gone to much else of the coast.

Also I've never been to VT, but I'm not lying. I get LTE almost all the time.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:33 PM   #23
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoistaxx9 View Post
i'm amazed to see that a carrier like sprint can sell 1.4M iphones in a quarter.
Actually, 1.4 million represents their worst quarter ever, since they started selling iPhones. They've done 1.5 million 4 times, 1.8 million once, and 2.2 million is their record (iPhone 5 intro quarter).

ft
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:55 PM   #24
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
Actually, 1.4 million represents their worst quarter ever, since they started selling iPhones. They've done 1.5 million 4 times, 1.8 million once, and 2.2 million is their record (iPhone 5 intro quarter).

ft
that explains it!
egoistaxx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:04 PM   #25
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoistaxx9 View Post
that explains it!
What's with the ??

Just giving you some info. If you don't want it, no need to be snooty about it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion