Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
hodor123
macrumors newbie

iOS 7 beta 4 screen goes black after update

I have been using iOS 7 betas without any issues. However, yesterday after the OTA, my iPhone 4 booted up with the Apple logo and then went black. iTunes is able to detect it and even when I tried calling on my number from another phone, the call went through but I didn't see anything on my iPhone.

I tried restoring it by downloading the ipsw. I got the setup screen and after completing the setup, the iPhone again booted and went black.

I then restored to 6.1.3, which worked fine. I tried to restore it again to beta 4, and same issue again.

I doubt its a hardware issue, since I get the setup screen and it works. Any suggestions?
hodor123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodor123 View Post
I have been using iOS 7 betas without any issues. However, yesterday after the OTA, my iPhone 4 booted up with the Apple logo and then went black. iTunes is able to detect it and even when I tried calling on my number from another phone, the call went through but I didn't see anything on my iPhone.

I tried restoring it by downloading the ipsw. I got the setup screen and after completing the setup, the iPhone again booted and went black.

I then restored to 6.1.3, which worked fine. I tried to restore it again to beta 4, and same issue again.

I doubt its a hardware issue, since I get the setup screen and it works. Any suggestions?
Hold the home and power buttons until you see the Apple logo. This is a hard reset, and has fixed this issue for others.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
hodor123
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks. I have tried that, doesn't work. It boots up, the Apple logo shows up, and again goes blank.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Topher227
macrumors member

If you continue having this issue but are able to get to the homescreen, you may have some app data/settings causing the problem.

Try resetting all settings by going to Settings > General > Reset.
If you still have problems... you may need to restore and then start as a new iPhone.

Hope this helps.
Topher227 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher227 View Post
If you continue having this issue but are able to get to the homescreen, you may have some app data/settings causing the problem.

If you still have problems... you may need to restore and then start as a new iPhone.

Hope this helps.
I would set up as a new phone.

Restore to iOS 6 and set up as new and then update to the beta.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
hodor123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher227 View Post

Hope this helps.
I can't get to the homescreen. It goes blank right after the Apple logo.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Topher227
macrumors member

One last thing i'd try before restoring and setting up as a new phone:

Restore to the latest OS you can successfully run, with all your data.
Reset all settings.
Goto Settings > iCloud and disable Find My iPhone (this helped in previous betas...)
Update to iOSb4 from iTunes.

If it works, make sure to re-enable Find My iPhone. If it doesn't, it looks like your only other option is to start as a new phone
Topher227 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:06 AM   #8
ttrelva
macrumors newbie

the same thing has happened to me. i can't access through iTunes because it is awaiting for me to press the "i trust this computer" on my iPhone - but obviously i can't do that because the screen is black

if i call it, the call goes through but the iPhone doesn't ring or vibrate or anything
ttrelva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
ttrelva
macrumors newbie

i had to put it in DFU mode and trying to restore to 6.1.3. it tried to restore to iOS 7 beta 3 but an error occurred
ttrelva is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7