Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

Question can a malicious software running in Parallels Desktop gain access to OS X?

Hi, I'm a bit worried about having to install Windows in parallels regarding the computer security. Is parallels runs in a sandbox environment? If theres a software running in windows on parallels and stealing data, will it be able to access my data store in the OS X ? (Documents directory, Music etc?)

Thanks in advance!
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan988 View Post
Hi, I'm a bit worried about having to install Windows in parallels regarding the computer security. Is parallels runs in a sandbox environment? If theres a software running in windows on parallels and stealing data, will it be able to access my data store in the OS X ? (Documents directory, Music etc?)
Unless you go through very specific, deliberate steps to enable it, no Windows application can write on your OS X partition, and no Windows app, including malware, can run in OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the reply.
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:11 PM   #4
throAU
macrumors 68030

Maybe.

There are exploits to get out of the hypervisor for some versions of other hypervisors.

Though the likelihood is very very low.

https://ng.techweb.com/authds/gatewa...ws%2F240001996

Given the track record Parallels has had with regards to performance vs stability (it's faster than vmware but has had previous data corruption bugs) i wouldn't rule it out.

Again though, very very unlikely, and i doubt someone who's capable of writing such an exploit would bother to target parallels on mac, the number of targets is simply too low.

More info:
http://blogs.gartner.com/neil_macdon...re-vulnerable/

Again.... not likely.

Last edited by throAU; Jul 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
bist
macrumors newbie

Any malware may have access to your personal files:
- By default (It may depend on the version), Parallel will share your Mac home folder with Windows.
- This is with read/write access.

This "feature" can be deactivated in the configuration of your VM ("Options" / "Sharing").

EDIT: For security reasons, you can disable everything in the "sharing" settings (look also in the "security" settings).
bist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bist View Post
Any malware may have access to your personal files:
- By default (It may depend on the version), Parallel will share your Mac home folder with Windows.
- This is with read/write access.

This "feature" can be deactivated in the configuration of your VM ("Options" / "Sharing").

That's good to know.

Likelihood of cross infection is pretty low (Mac won't generally run PC malware) though.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion