Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Quantus
macrumors regular

iPad support for Trim?

Does iOS support trim commands? If not, should I expect my iPad to become sluggish after a while, as many Nexus 7 (2012) users reported?

Android 4.3 supposedly fixes sluggishness on the N7 and possibly many other devices by including trim support. I can't find any info on whether this was ever an issue in iOS.
Quantus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Quantus
macrumors regular

nobody knows?
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
SamuraiMinis
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SamuraiMinis
I don't. Sorry.

But I want to know the answer to your question as well now!
The reason is that I plan to get the 5th generation iPad when it is released, so I've been really curious lately of stuff.
SamuraiMinis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Ive read OS X automatically does filesystem cleanup, and since iOS is based on OS X, i would assume TRIM is unnecessary.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Ive read OS X automatically does filesystem cleanup, and since iOS is based on OS X, i would assume TRIM is unnecessary.
How does OS X mark data as "unused" without TRIM? My understanding is TRIM is necessary for cleanup on SSD or eMMC storage. Is this incorrect?

*edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

OS X implemented TRIM back in June 2011. No mention of iOS.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I have never had any sluggishness on any of my iOS devices, and that's after filling them to the brim with stuff. But then everything is sandboxed.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I have never had any sluggishness on any of my iOS devices, and that's after filling them to the brim with stuff. But then everything is sandboxed.
I too have never experienced noticeable sluggishness despite filling my iPad to the brim with data. But I'd still like to know how this is achieved without TRIM support (assuming there is none).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
How does OS X mark data as "unused" without TRIM? My understanding is TRIM is necessary for cleanup on SSD or eMMC storage. Is this incorrect?
I don't know. The first time I heard of TRIM was when SSDs starting becoming popular. Smartphones have been using eMMC for years before that (early 2000's), and I never heard anyone talking about their support for TRIM.
aristobrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

You can go into Settings, and then Safari. Click on Safari, and you'll be given a few options to clear your history, cookies, etc. I was on a commercial pilot website, and they say their iPads clear themselves (somehow), and no doubt the maps, apps, manuals, and other info they use is enormous.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB1191 View Post
You can go into Settings, and then Safari. Click on Safari, and you'll be given a few options to clear your history, cookies, etc. I was on a commercial pilot website, and they say their iPads clear themselves (somehow), and no doubt the maps, apps, manuals, and other info they use is enormous.
I don't understand why that would speed up an iPad unless a TRIM command is also issued to the now unused data.

Check out the wiki article i posted.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:17 PM   #11
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
I don't understand why that would speed up an iPad unless a TRIM command is also issued to the now unused data.

Check out the wiki article i posted.
Just read it, and saw this:

Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of TRIM, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of TRIM; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support TRIM, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB1191 View Post
Just read it, and saw this:

Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of TRIM, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of TRIM; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support TRIM, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]
Clearing cache data such as browsing history doesn't "delete all data on the drive." So, if doing such things does help to increase tablet performance, I'd guess the eMMC has internal garbage collection.

All iPads use Hynix brand eMMC, right? Same brand is used in many other tablets, including both the new and old Nexus 7. But, N7s require TRIM commands...

I suppose it is possible that only certain Hynix modules feature garbage collection.

*edit*

http://skhms.com/technology/flash/

There is mention of garbage collection at the firmware level. No mention if it is implemented in all or some modules. Maybe it works by default unless the OS overrides trim/garbage collection?

Last edited by Quantus; Jul 31, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:36 PM   #13
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Who cares if it supports TRIM or not. The important thing is that the iPad doesn't get sluggish over time for whatever reason.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Who cares if it supports TRIM or not. The important thing is that the iPad doesn't get sluggish over time for whatever reason.
Exactly, it's like needing DEFRAG for Windows. Linux and OS X are different and don't require manual drive optimization.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I am curious, that's all.

iPads might not be immune to sluggishness but merely more resistant. I.e., what takes 6 months on a nexus 7 may take 3 years on an iPad.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad