Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sat165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I'm in your cupboard
Once upon a time i was almost swayed to completely convert to android. Almost.

I recently smashed the screen of my iPhone 5 and had to wait a long time for the insurance company to churn out a new one, these companies make their money on having endless routes to reject your claim, they train their idiotic staff robots how to try and scam every single customer out of their claim, probably with star charts on the wall to monitor their evil progress.

Anyway. I had to turn to a friends phone while I waited. Which turned out to be a Samsung S3. Now I am an apple boy at heart. I took this with huge reluctance. I even contemplated buying a cheap ass Nokia if it wasn't for my crack like addiction to whatsapp and the Internet. I needed a smartphone..

I held it. I hated it. It was so big I thort about placing it on my kitchen unit and chopping tomatoes on it. I turned It on and looked at the icons and thought god what have I done to deserve this. I wanted my safari icon, my music player back, my iMessage. I didnt want the options of installing anti virus. I wanted something that didnt feel like a plastic toy and look like I was holding a dinner table to the side of my face when I talked on it. Even the cries of the (incredibly ignorant) people around me of 'have you got that because you can't afford an iPhone' got to me, I felt like screaming I'VE GOT A F----- IPHONE in their face.

Then I started to use it. The use of a physical back button next to the home button started to seem incredibly obvious, why didnt apple do this? Probably because only a giant would be able to reach up to the top of a galaxy to press back, i used to think of these phones used by the sort of people that could hold a basketball up in the air with one hand. Someone with a fist the size of a baby. but still, the back button was nice, as was the menu button to the left of it. Navigation wasn't too bad at all. Whatsapp, my crack addiction to that app..whatsapp is better on android. It is faster and little things like when u scroll through contacts it shows all their pics, when you send a message it never fails it will automatically retry as soon as network resumes. I was thinking yea, I'm not dying so bad here. The cries of the ******s in the playground dissing my phone got fainter..I'm still holding a dinner table tho.

The screen eventually grew on me to the point where I would look at others 'iPhones and think...wats wrong with those retards they can barely see anything on that. I felt powerful, I still wouldn't get it out in public too much because it does not in any way look cool but I had powerful little gadget in my pocket, and if anyone drew a knife on me on the underground....then I had a shield.

I appreciated shortcuts like swiping right to call someone, left to message. I felt like the Samsung was quicker in every way (dillusional perhaps, yes) i loved the drop down notif centre with the wifi controls etc in the top, something us jail breakers have been used to for a while but on Samsung it was jus already there. Ahh in the morning, ur alarm goes off, u just turn the phone over and it snoozes, that was cool, that made me smile like a creep in my sleep, that made me late for work when it randomly didnt actually snooze it jus decided to turn off, great.

Internet, better cos of the screen, just huge. Texting - their swype keyboard is unrivalled by any jailbreaks I've used, it was so good, but it was also vital because u cannot type with one hand on a galaxy.

I was like yea I'm gonna upgrade to an s4. F iPhone, F apple, maybe the ship is sinking. I had a new found appreciation for all the previously deemed backwards people in my head that had samsungs, don't get me started on htc's or any other androids when I see people with those machines I want to vomit on their lap (again just a personal hatred I'm sure they're great people/phones)

No matter if you're gona take the moral high ground on this but we all download music with torrents. Even if u buy legit stuff after. You mostly do it. I support select artists that I genuinely love and I buy their stuff on iTunes. But I also download a lot of stuff. And simply, androids torrent ability as you know, is amazing. No messin around with jail broken iPhones and Bridge to get the music over etc. this is jus ridiculously easy.

Then the insurance company called and said ur iPhone will be here tomorrow. I panicked. Then I thought its fine I will sell it. Then sell my s3. Then buy an s4. Then take over the world. With hopefully cash left over to throw off the edge of my balcony to the masses.

The iPhone arrived. I sniggered at its pathetic size. I laughed at the fact I once loved you. I held it and it was tiny. I turned it on and saw my ex's face emblazoned with the apple logo, I glared at it and thought that is slick. I let it run. I thort Jesus Christ this is smooth, the more I got aroused the quicker I had to put it in, my sim of course. I tore it out of the galaxy and thought lets rele see what I had been missing. Was I so used to galaxy that I hated iPhone forever?

She was amazing. How had I been so lost. What I had become used to was a slower clunkier GUI on the Samsung that I had convinced myself was quicker. Any simple task on the iPhone seemed quicker and it was smoother than anything, no lags...ah no lags. Samsung do have functionality in their areas, but they do not think about a user experience as much. And yeah iPhone have stolen some stuff, they are getting shortcuts to wifi Bluetooth controls etc in ios7, I feel like people complain about iOS 7 but the functionality will be there. For me you can't beat that premium feel. I was gliding to safari looking stuff up and flying back to my previous apps with ease, the no lag making me cackle again with laughter, it was just...nicer, for the quick stuff it was better, the Internet is more responsive on an iPhone for me, the subtle feedback u get when you press icons on the homepage or select links on a web page, it all builds to just a better user exp on the iPhone. It feels like it was engineered for greatness. Something you only truly appreciate when you try the opposition for a few weeks, when u press icons on a Samsung you get as much response as poking a cold dead ferret.

And for the more complex tasks. In my eyes Samsung have the screen, yea it's still messing with my eyes a bit coming back to the smaller iPhone. I took a new appreciation for realising why iPhone never has had and hopefully never will have extra buttons. Torrents - naughty topic but its the thing I will miss a lot but that's just because my laptop was stolen and I can't get my music onto my iPhone atm. All those little swipes and shortcuts for messaging on a Samsung I loved - forgotten about them because coming back to apple made me realise how the clunky thougtless gui needed them to claw back some credibility. Music player looks awful on Samsung never fell for that one. Whoever created that needs a slap.

I was hypnotised for a while. But luckily I snapped out of it.

And Jesus its cooler, I for one am proud to hold this sexy little phone, and it matters to me what it looks like. Find me someone who can find u a phone that looks better than this. And I will laugh. The s4 is pretty cool, although it slightly resembles a iPhone 4 with a growth disease.

I am back. I am that guy saying to others with samsungs can you not afford an iPhone (..just kidding) but even though i have a new appreciation for them I definitely still snigger under my breath a bit at them.

Competition is good. We all hope it will make apple develop quicker. We are still ahead in my eyes undoubtedly. But the enemy has risen quickly. And it will be an interesting time to see where we are in 5 years.

Ps. If u read all this then that's impressive. But not as impressive as the fact I had the munchies throughout the whole time I was writing this and still persevered.

Why did I have the munchies you ask, well, now u understand the odd rambling rant.

I dont know how i remembered my password, but It's been a pleasure

Goodnight little apples

Last edited:

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I still think that using the iPhone 5 as a shield is preferable since it is aluminum and glass, you just have to be quicker and more accurate when you parry - and what happens with the Sammy, if the attackers knife is white hot? It will melt right through - no such problem with the 5. :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
That is interesting.
I am having some upgrade itches currently...but not for the next iphone, for the next nexus!
It'll be interesting to see what happens :)

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
"and if anyone drew a knife on me on the underground....then I had a shield."

I almost did an honest to God spit-take. You're hilarious!

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I switched to an S3 recently and went back to my 5 for a few reasons, the S3 has an inferior screen, was quite a bit slower and the camera was pretty bad compared to my 5. In the fall I am probably saying goodbye to the iPhone, the screen is too small and the OS is boring now and iOS 7 is quite ugly with not many new features I would ever use. Just gotta wait for a nice Tri-Band phone and I am gone.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I lol'd at your experience please never stop! :D

Yeah I thought the same about the S4 how can you possibly switch to android the apps blow major c***!!!

Last edited:

johnseattle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Once upon a time i was almost swayed to completely convert to android. Almost.

I recently smashed the screen of my iPhone 5 and had to wait a long time for the insurance company to churn out a new one, these companies make their money on having endless routes to reject your claim, they train their idiotic staff robots how to try and scam every single customer out of their claim, probably with star charts on the wall to monitor their evil progress.

Anyway. I had to turn to a friends phone while I waited. Which turned out to be a Samsung S3. Now I am an apple boy at heart. I took this with huge reluctance. I even contemplated buying a cheap ass Nokia if it wasn't for my crack like addiction to whatsapp and the Internet. I needed a smartphone..

I held it. I hated it. It was so big I thort about placing it on my kitchen unit and chopping tomatoes on it. I turned It on and looked at the icons and thought god what have I done to deserve this. I wanted my safari icon, my music player back, my iMessage. I didnt want the options of installing anti virus. I wanted something that didnt feel like a plastic toy and look like I was holding a dinner table to the side of my face when I talked on it. Even the cries of the (incredibly ignorant) people around me of 'have you got that because you can't afford an iPhone' got to me, I felt like screaming I'VE GOT A F----- IPHONE in their face.

Then I started to use it. The use of a physical back button next to the home button started to seem incredibly obvious, why didnt apple do this? Probably because only a giant would be able to reach up to the top of a galaxy to press back, i used to think of these phones used by the sort of people that could hold a basketball up in the air with one hand. Someone with a fist the size of a baby. but still, the back button was nice, as was the menu button to the left of it. Navigation wasn't too bad at all. Whatsapp, my crack addiction to that app..whatsapp is better on android. It is faster and little things like when u scroll through contacts it shows all their pics, when you send a message it never fails it will automatically retry as soon as network resumes. I was thinking yea, I'm not dying so bad here. The cries of the ******s in the playground dissing my phone got fainter..I'm still holding a dinner table tho.

The screen eventually grew on me to the point where I would look at others 'iPhones and think...wats wrong with those retards they can barely see anything on that. I felt powerful, I still wouldn't get it out in public too much because it does not in any way look cool but I had powerful little gadget in my pocket, and if anyone drew a knife on me on the underground....then I had a shield.

I appreciated shortcuts like swiping right to call someone, left to message. I felt like the Samsung was quicker in every way (dillusional perhaps, yes) i loved the drop down notif centre with the wifi controls etc in the top, something us jail breakers have been used to for a while but on Samsung it was jus already there. Ahh in the morning, ur alarm goes off, u just turn the phone over and it snoozes, that was cool, that made me smile like a creep in my sleep, that made me late for work when it randomly didnt actually snooze it jus decided to turn off, great.

Internet, better cos of the screen, just huge. Texting - their swype keyboard is unrivalled by any jailbreaks I've used, it was so good, but it was also vital because u cannot type with one hand on a galaxy.

I was like yea I'm gonna upgrade to an s4. F iPhone, F apple, maybe the ship is sinking. I had a new found appreciation for all the previously deemed backwards people in my head that had samsungs, don't get me started on htc's or any other androids when I see people with those machines I want to vomit on their lap (again just a personal hatred I'm sure they're great people/phones)

No matter if you're gona take the moral high ground on this but we all download music with torrents. Even if u buy legit stuff after. You mostly do it. I support select artists that I genuinely love and I buy their stuff on iTunes. But I also download a lot of stuff. And simply, androids torrent ability as you know, is amazing. No messin around with jail broken iPhones and Bridge to get the music over etc. this is jus ridiculously easy.

Then the insurance company called and said ur iPhone will be here tomorrow. I panicked. Then I thought its fine I will sell it. Then sell my s3. Then buy an s4. Then take over the world. With hopefully cash left over to throw off the edge of my balcony to the masses.

The iPhone arrived. I sniggered at its pathetic size. I laughed at the fact I once loved you. I held it and it was tiny. I turned it on and saw my ex's face emblazoned with the apple logo, I glared at it and thought that is slick. I let it run. I thort Jesus Christ this is smooth, the more I got aroused the quicker I had to put it in, my sim of course. I tore it out of the galaxy and thought lets rele see what I had been missing. Was I so used to galaxy that I hated iPhone forever?

She was amazing. How had I been so lost. What I had become used to was a slower clunkier GUI on the Samsung that I had convinced myself was quicker. Any simple task on the iPhone seemed quicker and it was smoother than anything, no lags...ah no lags. Samsung do have functionality in their areas, but they do not think about a user experience as much. And yeah iPhone have stolen some stuff, they are getting shortcuts to wifi Bluetooth controls etc in ios7, I feel like people complain about iOS 7 but the functionality will be there. For me you can't beat that premium feel. I was gliding to safari looking stuff up and flying back to my previous apps with ease, the no lag making me cackle again with laughter, it was just...nicer, for the quick stuff it was better, the Internet is more responsive on an iPhone for me, the subtle feedback u get when you press icons on the homepage or select links on a web page, it all builds to just a better user exp on the iPhone. It feels like it was engineered for greatness. Something you only truly appreciate when you try the opposition for a few weeks, when u press icons on a Samsung you get as much response as poking a cold dead ferret.

And for the more complex tasks. In my eyes Samsung have the screen, yea it's still messing with my eyes a bit coming back to the smaller iPhone. I took a new appreciation for realising why iPhone never has had and hopefully never will have extra buttons. Torrents - naughty topic but its the thing I will miss a lot but that's just because my laptop was stolen and I can't get my music onto my iPhone atm. All those little swipes and shortcuts for messaging on a Samsung I loved - forgotten about them because coming back to apple made me realise how the clunky thougtless gui needed them to claw back some credibility. Music player looks awful on Samsung never fell for that one. Whoever created that needs a slap.

I was hypnotised for a while. But luckily I snapped out of it.

And Jesus its cooler, I for one am proud to hold this sexy little phone, and it matters to me what it looks like. Find me someone who can find u a phone that looks better than this. And I will laugh. The s4 is pretty cool, although it slightly resembles a iPhone 4 with a growth disease.

I am back. I am that guy saying to others with samsungs can you not afford an iPhone (..just kidding) but even though i have a new appreciation for them I definitely still snigger under my breath a bit at them.

Competition is good. We all hope it will make apple develop quicker. We are still ahead in my eyes undoubtedly. But the enemy has risen quickly. And it will be an interesting time to see where we are in 5 years.

Ps. If u read all this then that's impressive. But not as impressive as the fact I had the munchies throughout the whole time I was writing this and still persevered.

Why did I have the munchies you ask, well, now u understand the odd rambling rant.

I dont know how i remembered my password, but It's been a pleasure

Goodnight little apples

Oh goodness, not another one of these. I swear they have Apple Genius write these in their spare time!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don;t understand why the SGS is the "dark side". It is this type of mentality that breeds the hate in these forums that most people claim they don't want to see.

Happy you realized you love your iPhone. I skipped the novel though.

johnseattle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
I don;t understand why the SGS is the "dark side". It is this type of mentality that breeds the hate in these forums that most people claim they don't want to see.

Agreed. Dark side is such a over used phrase.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
it's a refreshing take from what we normally see around these parts. OP was open enough to try android despite his dislike for the OS and actually came away with a better appreciation for its finer qualities. Doesn't mean he has to convert but at least he gave it a good honest to god shot

In a sense it's exactly how I feel about Kobe Bryant, hate the man with a passion but highly respect his game.

sat165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I'm in your cupboard

the dark side was used only once, (in the title) as a sort of tongue in cheek dig at samsung because we love iphone so much...well i would hope so we are in an apple forum after all. If you had read on you would see i hardly bred hatred about it though.

But now you mention it yes there is a rivalry thats undeniable - have you ever looked at some of the android forums, they tear us apart in there, dont be so boring it makes things more interesting...

Last edited:

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Best read on this forum in a loooong time!

Thanks for the laugh.

I just tried the S4 for a week, so I know where you are coming from!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
the dark side was used only once, (in the title) as a sort of tongue in cheek dig at samsung because we love iphone so much...well i would hope so we are in an apple forum after all. If you had read on you would see i hardly bred hatred about it though.

But now you mention it yes there is a rivalry thats undeniable - have you ever looked at some of the android forums, they tear us apart in there, dont be so boring it makes things more interesting...

The body of my my response made it pretty clear that I was speaking of this terminology on general. Your post isn't the only one like this ice read. To gue in cheek or not, the fanboys eat it up. And, in my opinion, the title was simple fanboy fodder.

I wasn't interested in reading further because you have me no reason to. Start an article off badly with me (slanderous title) and I am going to assume there is nothing actually credible in it. If you don't feel the same that's fine. Plenty of people seem to have enjoyed the read.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Great story. I had a similar experience. I gave my wife my iPhone 4 and bounced around Android and Windows Phone, and earlier this year, I came back to the iPhone 5. While all affirms have heir merits, I prefer the iPhone best. It's the right size for my hands and the apps are better for iOS IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.