Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evan23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I own an iPhone 5 that's only a little over a month old. The battery was great with iOS 6, but I installed the iOS 7 beta 3 and it had terrible battery life. I was hoping beta 4 would fix this but it hasn't. Is anyone else having battery trouble on beta 4 or is it just me?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I own an iPhone 5 that's only a little over a month old. The battery was great with iOS 6, but I installed the iOS 7 beta 3 and it had terrible battery life. I was hoping beta 4 would fix this but it hasn't. Is anyone else having battery trouble on beta 4 or is it just me?

Same here. I could easily get 8 hours of usage on 6.1.4 but on the iOS 7 betas I can get just around 6 hours.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Some days it's fine, other days it seems to go down quite quickly, as though something is draining the battery in the background. I haven't been able to isolate the problem, but in general I try to reset all settings at the start of each beta and work from there.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
nugate7y.jpg

I'd say it is about the same as iOS 6. Although beta 3 was the worst.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada

Definitely too early to tell (it was released 24 hours ago) but so far I've not seen any improvements. With 1-2 hours of music playback my battery was down to 40% by 12 PM (off the charger at 7:30).

Pietro

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

- Installed Beta 4 clean as "New phone" last night.
- Installed every app fresh (did not restore any backups).
- Took the phone off the charger @ 6:30am at 100%
- Drove to work for 30min listening to iTunes radio with navigation engaged on Apple maps.

Arrived at work with 98% battery left.

it has now been 4.5 hours and my battery is at 83% with e-mails constantly coming in to wake up the phone while I listen to music at my desk.

I'm completely satisfied with the battery life of Beta 4.

Usage under general settings says:

Usage: 1 hour, 38 minutes
Standby: 4 hours 22 minutes.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
If your trying to get as much battery power usage out of iOS 7 you have to turn off a few settings. You can Google it, YouTube it on how to save battery or even search the threads but heres one thread I think you should look at. >>>> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1615584/

Turning off Bluetooth when not in use, background app refresh and a few other settings off would increase extra battery power a bit. Keep in mines this is still a beta iOS so I wouldn't expect better battery power as some betas tend to decrease battery and some improve but who knows

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Disable parallax motion. Fixed all battery issues for me.
Also, I use background app refresh only for reminders and killed location service for weather....don't know if they helped but theyre unnecessary for me anyway.

Janschi

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Look at my stats :O And with 6% left you get easily antoher 45mins.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 170

blackcrow64

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Ohio, USA
With beta 3 I've had the best battery life so far on my old iPad 2... I had about 19 hours of usage and standby time of over 17 days on a single charge! Upgraded to beta 4 and didn't even get 17 hours of standby time and the battery was dead this morning. I didn't even get to use it... Charging it back up now to do some testing to see what has changed that made such a huge impact.

Janschi

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Tell your secrets:D:D

you did clean install? itunes backup?

you turn off everything ?

Nope I updated OTA.
All of my settings are from the previous beta. But my battery likes beta 4 more :D

Turned everything except "Mobile Network Search" under Location Services -> System Services.
Most oft the normal apps have location services enabled, except weather (since in previous Betas it drained the battery very much)
Disabled Background App Refesh since it isn't very helpful (I think).
When I'm somewhere inside like at home, at work or outside at night I set brightness to 1/3. Sometimes even on the lowest level.
When I'm outside during the day it's like on 3/4. I turn Wifi off when I don't need it.
Photostream is disabled. And of course the mail app only fetches new e-mails when I launch it.

Of course many things are turned off, but most of them have low functionality anyway.

During this period I used WhatsApp, Facebook, Mail, True or False and other apps. I close all apps on multitasking after usage (most times). I was connected with wifi the whole day and turned off mobile data.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
My battery is fine with Reduce Motion On aka Parallax off and no dynamic wallpaper. Everything else I leave on including location services and background app downloads. Parallax and dynamic wallpapers drain my iPhone 5 battery faster than my car drinks a gallon of gas.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
My battery on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7 is just fine and perfect without disable all those settings. To me if you want your phone to last get the mophie juice pack. (Just saying)

dylzen

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
I followed the tips from another thread but the battery life was still garbage. Had to turn off Cellular Data when I had WiFi to make it acceptable. On an iPhone 4S after a clean install.

6apaja3y.jpg

Swapnil52

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I am having the same problem on my iphone 5.
Battery was good with iOS 6.1.4. But now with iOS 7 beta 4 it drains out even on standby....
I've turned off background app refresh and locations but there's little to no difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 120

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I followed the tips from another thread but the battery life was still garbage. Had to turn off Cellular Data when I had WiFi to make it acceptable. On an iPhone 4S after a clean install.

Uhh what? That battery life is fantastic.

----------

I am having the same problem on my iphone 5.
Battery was good with iOS 6.1.4. But now with iOS 7 beta 4 it drains out even on standby....
I've turned off background app refresh and locations but there's little to no difference.

The battery life based on your screenshot seems pretty damn good to me...

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
I've gotta encourage you guys. I believe my battery life is beta since BETTER FOUR than I ever had on iOS 6!!

I don't get it. Beta 3 was fair, but OTA updates ever since beta 1 - reset all settings each update. I don't skimp on features and I'm seeing great results...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.