Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have iWork on disk and not from the Apple Store. I have no other optical drive. How do I load iWork on my 2012 iMac?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have iWork on disk and not from the Apple Store. I have no other optical drive. How do I load iWork on my 2012 iMac?

Buy or borrow a portable drive. Almost any will work with a Mac. Alternately, you can repurchase from the MAS... but that would cost more.

/Jim

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Do you happen to still have your old machine with the optical drive? If so, you can use CD sharing to have that drive do the install on the iMac.

Otherwise, like flynz4 said... you can just use a cheap external USB optical drive.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Do you happen to still have your old machine with the optical drive? If so, you can use CD sharing to have that drive do the install on the iMac.

Otherwise, like flynz4 said... you can just use a cheap external USB optical drive.

I think you can share CDs/DVDs from PCs also. I don't know if it will work with a Mac disc on a PC, but it's worth a try.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
The share from CD/DVD doesn't work (using my old iMac as the optical disc). It simply doesn't show up on my new iMac under "remote disc"

I simply used Airdrop and I'm good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.