Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
johnseattle
Banned

Fingerprint Scanner...WTF is it for?

How is this of any value on a phone? I see them on PCs and they are never used.
johnseattle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

First, what you see on PCs is a crap version of a fingerprint scanner. The tech Apple bought, on paper, is actually quite robust.

Second, to actually answer your question, I would assume it is used for tasks like unlocking your phone and maybe even authorizing payments. Everywhere you'd put a password, you can use your fingerprint instead. Just guesses of course. I am with you on the "I think it's pointless" front, but I will reserve judgement until I see it, IF I see it.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseattle View Post
Yep, but if there's one thing you can guarantee, it's that if Apple put something into their hardware they're not going to do it half-assed. They'll only do it if it's perfected.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule -- Apple Maps, for instance -- but if you look at Apple in general they're not one to throw things on the wall and see what sticks.

I, for one, am very excited for this.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:47 PM   #4
thelatinist
macrumors 603

I imagine its primary function in the end will be providing a secure way to authorize near-field RF payments.
thelatinist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
adam044
macrumors 65816

Just a gimmick to get you to buy the phone, and guess what it will work!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

It's not the same as ones you see on current computers. Also, using your fingerprint to unlock an iPhone is easier than on a laptop due the iPhones portable size.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
IamSKW
macrumors newbie

I switch from and iPhone 4 to a S3 last September. I have been planning to switch back to iPhone as soon as the 5S is announced. I don't know how much i will actually use the fingerprint scanner but hey it can't hurt. The more features the better.
IamSKW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

And you can always.... not use it if you dont like it! Shocking statement there I know.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

People get all worked up because they think something will be amazing:

"NFC?!?!? Now I don't have to swipe my card!"
[forgetting the terrible security they generally have and the ability to grab CC numbers in transmission]

"Siri!?!? Now I don't have to type!"
[Instead I'll ask siri repeatedly if it's hot and why it won't have sex with me]

"Fingerprint scanner?!?!?! Now I won't have to type a code anymore!"
[questionable if this is really more secure, especially given how easy it is to lift prints off of any electronic device]

But will really no no practical use on a phone.
Interstella5555 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
IAlso, using your fingerprint to unlock an iPhone is easier than on a laptop due the iPhones portable size.
Why would it be harder on a laptop? "Portable size" has nothing to do with it. Once my laptop is open and set up, using the scanner isn't more difficult. I don't get it.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
People get all worked up because they think something will be amazing:

"NFC?!?!? Now I don't have to swipe my card!"
[forgetting the terrible security they generally have and the ability to grab CC numbers in transmission]

"Siri!?!? Now I don't have to type!"
[Instead I'll ask siri repeatedly if it's hot and why it won't have sex with me]

"Fingerprint scanner?!?!?! Now I won't have to type a code anymore!"
[questionable if this is really more secure, especially given how easy it is to lift prints off of any electronic device]

But will really no no practical use on a phone.
I use Siri on a regular basis for starters. Also being able to eliminate the need to type in my passcode 25 times a day would by itself make it worth having. Anything after that would be icing on the cake. However, if (and I mean if) it allows secure payment options, then I think that would be huge.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:45 PM   #12
g35
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
I use Siri on a regular basis for starters. Also being able to eliminate the need to type in my passcode 25 times a day would by itself make it worth having. Anything after that would be icing on the cake. However, if (and I mean if) it allows secure payment options, then I think that would be huge.
Do you really type a passcode 25x/day? I only have to if I download a new app that requires login, which is maybe once a week or month. Everything is logged in automatically due to cookies. I understand that you may be different but 25x seems excessive.

Most people I know who use iPhones stick to their tried and true apps and maybe jump on the latest ones like Snapchat or Tinder once every few months. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for the majority of users.
g35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Virginaustralia
macrumors regular

It failed on laptops i think its gonna fail on smartphones. who really needs one and nobody is really gonna use it that often
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:00 PM   #14
ogremoustro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post
Do you really type a passcode 25x/day? I only have to if I download a new app that requires login, which is maybe once a week or month. Everything is logged in automatically due to cookies. I understand that you may be different but 25x seems excessive.

Most people I know who use iPhones stick to their tried and true apps and maybe jump on the latest ones like Snapchat or Tinder once every few months. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for the majority of users.
How is 25x a day excessive? You have to put in the passcode every time you are unlocking the phone if you have passcode enabled... I myself put in my passcode more than 25x a day as I put my phone to sleep after every text.
ogremoustro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post

I'd be shocked if I didn't enter my passcode more than 25x a day. Even if I checked my phone just twice a hour and sleep 12 hours a day, then that would be 24x a day...but I check more than that each hour and don't sleep that much. If you don't have auto-lock activated then you probably aren't as excited about this as those of us who do. I hope to see secure payment options come out of this as well, which would be great IMHO.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremoustro View Post
How is 25x a day excessive? You have to put in the passcode every time you are unlocking the phone if you have passcode enabled... I myself put in my passcode more than 25x a day as I put my phone to sleep after every text.
Same here. Always turn of screen when I'm done using phone. Not having to enter that code so often would be awesome. Not locking my phone is not an option sadly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginaustralia View Post
?..who really needs one and nobody is really gonna use it that often
Except for literally every time I use my phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Why would it be harder on a laptop? "Portable size" has nothing to do with it. Once my laptop is open and set up, using the scanner isn't more difficult. I don't get it.
Thing is, smartphones (especially the iPhone) are by far the most frequently stolen item in the USA (and elsewhere I assume). Plus they are filled with personal/financial data for many of us. Discouraging theft and reducing the possibility of accessing personal info is important IMHO.

Last edited by Zerilos; Jul 30, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremoustro View Post
Not entirely true.

Depending on how you feel about security maybe setting your "require passcode" to 5-15 minutes and/or reply with message to on would help in your current situation.

This is how I keep mine set and a text message session is never a problem. Nor is that occasional check.

About the time I would notice my phone missing is when it would already be locked.

Again, this is assuming your not too worried about it. This works well for me, I use my phone a lot and enter my passcode 2-3 times maybe....
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:41 PM   #17
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Not entirely true.

Depending on how you feel about security maybe setting your "require passcode" to 5-15 minutes and/or reply with message to on would help in your current situation.
If you have managed device (I.e., an iPhone provided by your employer), you are probably stuck with the 2 minute auto lock. I have to re-enter the 8 digit password on my work iPhone every 2 minutes.

I will be thrilled if I can substitute a thumbprint for that 8-digit password.

----------

Here's a blurb on the fingerprint sensor believed to be in the iPhone 5S:

Quote:
The most noteworthy public product AuthenTec has is not its run of the mill finger print scanners, but a new "Smart Sensor" that acts as a sophisticated touch pad controller.

While just 13.3mm wide by 3mm high and a scant 1.30 mm thick, the company's first Smart Sensor, announced in May just as Apple began its frantic efforts to buy the firm, packs a 500 pixel per inch, 192x8 pixel detection matrix and all the necessary finger print matching technology and security encryption to serve as a fully self contained finger recognizer.

AuthenTec notes that its "semiconductor-based sensors are based on both capacitive and radio frequency (RF) technology that detects an image of the fingerprint ridge and valley pattern beneath the surface of the skin, thus capturing sharp and clear fingerprint patterns from the live layer. This approach, which is in marked contrast with optical, thermal and other solutions that simply read the surface of the skin, gives AuthenTec sensors significant advantages in image quality and in the protective coatings that the sensor can image through."

Additionally, AuthenTec has developed "anti-spoofing technology" that "dynamically measures the properties of finger skin placed on the sensor while the finger is being scanned. This patented technology ensures that only real fingerprints are read by converting the properties of the skin into digital data which are delivered to the host computer for analysis. AuthenTec anti-spoofing technology then compares the data with expected properties to ensure fingerprint authentication."

The company notes that "because of the approach, anyone who attempts to swipe the finger of a dead person in order to access important physical or logical data would fail."

A touch pad for iOS devices

In addition, AuthenTec's Smart Sensor can also be used to provide touch-based navigation, functioning as a "precise cursor control for text editing," with support for "360 degree mouse navigation," "optical joystick emulation," or as a "unique turbo-scroll feature for rapid browsing of long emails, contact lists or websites," according to public information released by the firm prior to its acquisition.
KenAFSPC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:44 PM   #18
mcdspncr
macrumors member

Prism??

I've always wanted the finger print scanner until recently. I'm starting to shy away from all the cloud storage, and although it would be a nice alternative to typing in a pass code, I highly suspect the fingerprint "key" would be stored as part of iCloud. If there was the option to store it locally that would be great, but with all this PRISM/NSA stuff coming to light, if makes me worry who would have access to my credit cards, fingerprints, emails, etc. Especially as hacking and security leaks aren't exactly uncommon in the news, and more and more very personal information is getting stored in the cloud, perhaps I might just keep my fingerprints offline as much as possible.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:44 PM   #19
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

It builds a database of biometric information for hackers to exploit. Unlike a password, a fingerprint can't be changed. So in a few years, good luck convincing your bank that it wasn't really you who emptied your account.
CoMoMacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:55 PM   #20
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAFSPC View Post
If you have managed device (I.e., an iPhone provided by your employer), you are probably stuck with the 2 minute auto lock. I have to re-enter the 8 digit password on my work iPhone every 2 minutes.

I will be thrilled if I can substitute a thumbprint for that 8-digit password.

----------

Here's a blurb on the fingerprint sensor believed to be in the iPhone 5S:
I was just trying to offer a solution currently.

I guess I'm lucky in a sense my employer provides my iPhone as a contractor but the powers above them don't allow information pertaining to work on it. But here is my catch, I cannot intentionally give out my fingerprints to a private or public business. That will apply whether the data is stored remotely or not.

But for the security savvy personal phone its a convenient solution. And regardless of the outcome of the next iPhone my permanent solution.

And at the expense of sounding greedy I hope there are other features besides that. I imagine there would be considering the astounding number of people that don't even use a passcode.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:24 PM   #21
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
It builds a database of biometric information for hackers to exploit. Unlike a password, a fingerprint can't be changed. So in a few years, good luck convincing your bank that it wasn't really you who emptied your account.
Such data would probably be encrypted. Also, it may not even be stored with Apple (much like how our passcodes aren't in a database).
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:07 PM   #22
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Such data would probably be encrypted. Also, it may not even be stored with Apple (much like how our passcodes aren't in a database).
Maybe so, but encryption can be broken and often is. No matter where it's stored -- at Apple, at a third party, on the device or some combination -- it's vulnerable to one extent or another.
CoMoMacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:19 PM   #23
sviato
macrumors 68000

It'll be like FaceTime and Siri, some will find ways to use it daily to fit their needs while other won't use it at all
sviato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:21 PM   #24
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseattle View Post
Authentication. And ones on PCs are never used because the Windows driver support is complete garbage. it's not a hardware problem so much...
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginaustralia View Post
It failed on laptops i think its gonna fail on smartphones. who really needs one and nobody is really gonna use it that often
Yeah, just like touch screens failed on laptops.

I don't use a pass code at all. Hate them. This could be a reasonable compromise if it unlocks the phone quickly.
Jimmy James is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone