Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rallymonkeygsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I have a 2012 Retina MBP 13" with 128gb ssd that I recently acquired in a trade for an Asus gaming laptop. I have an offer to trade the rMBP for a 2012 Macbook Air 13" (4gb ram 256gb ssd, i5) AND a late 2011 13" MBP with 8gb ram and a 2.8 i7. Should I make this trade? I would probably sell the Air just because of the ram limitations and benchmarks show the 2011 MBP are on par with the 13" rMBP...but that screen is so sooo pretty. I'm new to Apple laptops but I know they all hold their values very well. This seems like a great deal for me on the sufrace but what do you guys think?

.eric

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
I think the bottom line is whether or not the trade you're making will benefit you financially. If the laptop(s) you're trading are worth less than what you're receiving, go for it. If not, don't do it.

rallymonkeygsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I'm almost consideing making the trade, selling them both then buying the new 13" rMBP with Haswell whenever its released...looks like I could almost get enough for it trading them both in to Apple. Ugh I just don't know, I'd love to keep the rMBP but that small ssd is killing me.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I have a 2012 Retina MBP 13" with 128gb ssd that I recently acquired in a trade for an Asus gaming laptop. I have an offer to trade the rMBP for a 2012 Macbook Air 13" (4gb ram 256gb ssd, i5) AND a late 2011 13" MBP with 8gb ram and a 2.8 i7. Should I make this trade? I would probably sell the Air just because of the ram limitations and benchmarks show the 2011 MBP are on par with the 13" rMBP...but that screen is so sooo pretty. I'm new to Apple laptops but I know they all hold their values very well. This seems like a great deal for me on the sufrace but what do you guys think?

Value-wise I do think you'd be better off yes. But you could also consider using the air for light computing and the other one for more heavy computing. I use my gf's air all the time cause it feels a lot better on my lap and to carry around the house than my 15".
Anyway, if both MacBooks are scratchless and internally flawless I would definitely make the trade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.