Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emacna1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I was in a pretty bad car accident today and my phone flew out of the car and the screen shattered. The phone is actually still in working order, but there is too much shattered glass for me to keep using it.

I used my insurance and have a replacement phone coming tomorrow. I've only ever had this one iPhone so I don't know what will happen when I plug in the new one.

Should I plug in this phone and make a backup tonight and will I be able to restore that back up on the new phone? What will transfer?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was in a pretty bad car accident today and my phone flew out of the car and the screen shattered. The phone is actually still in working order, but there is too much shattered glass for me to keep using it.

I used my insurance and have a replacement phone coming tomorrow. I've only ever had this one iPhone so I don't know what will happen when I plug in the new one.

Should I plug in this phone and make a backup tonight and will I be able to restore that back up on the new phone? What will transfer?

Any advice is much appreciated.

First off, let me say I hope you're doing ok! Yep, that is exactly what you do. Plug in your current phone and back it up. When you get your new phone, plug it in and restore from that backup.

Everything will transfer. Apps, photos, texts, settings, contacts, call logs, etc.

Best of luck with the switch and everything else!

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Are you okay?!?

Also, make an iCloud backup on the phone (it'll be difficult due to the glass, however). Then, when your new phone arrives, just restore from that iCloud backup. Everything will be back except media synced from a PC/Mac.

Hope you're doing well!

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Yea hope you and everybody else is ok. I would make sure your photos are backed up or imported or do a iTunes backup. I'm old fashioned so I prefer iTunes vs iCloud because of the photo backup.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I won't add my fake Internet concern here. Why? Because I'm sure you're fine if you are sitting here worried about your phone replacement. Yeah, I'm an ******.

Anyway, if you run nightly backups (I have my phone set to so this) you can just restore from there. If you want to be extra cautious you can backup first. Web you plug in select "restore from backup". If you use iCloud for backups there will be an option to choose this when you are setting up the phone. Dependinding on how many apps you have you'll need to give it some time. Going the iCloud route requires your phone respawn load all apps. It does, however, save their settings.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Just think if your iPhone was so damaged you could not make a backup. Everything would be lost!

Lesson learned is to back it up often. I would use not only the cloud but also back it up on your computer.

Glad you are OK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.