Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Support Document Unveils iMessage Spam Reporting Tool

A new support document has emerged on Apple's website today, revealing a way for iMessage users to report unwanted messages, or spam, directly to Apple.
Quote:
To report unwanted iMessage messages to Apple, please send an email with the following details to: imessage.spam@icloud.com

Include a screenshot of the message you have received.
Include the full email address or phone number you received the unwanted message from.
Include the date and time that you received the message.
In late March it was reported that a group of iOS developers had been hit with denial-of-service attacks via iMessage that saw them receiving a series of rapid-fire messages. Previously, it was not possible for users to take action against possible spam attacks. Now users can alert Apple to any possible problems directly.

Similarly, users with iOS 7 wanting to fight potential spam will have the ability to block contacts in the Messages, Phone and FaceTime apps, but users with previous versions of iOS will not be able to use that feature.

Article Link: Apple Support Document Unveils iMessage Spam Reporting Tool
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a

This will be useful. I'm excited for the blocking abilities in iOS7 too.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

In the long term this should be incorporated into the Messages app. In the current form it's more like a punishment to the victim by requiring them to draft a whole e-mail containing all the details, the screenshot, date and time, etc. etc.

I don't know how did the spammer get my contact details but somehow they managed to send several spam messages to me asking me to download a Chinese iOS game.
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB

Last edited by haruhiko; Jul 30, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
haruhiko is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
vgalbin
macrumors newbie

How to Get Out of a iMessage Spam Thread

As you know, if someone sends you a huge string of characters, especially Emojis, it can render your Messages app useless; whenever you try to open it, it tries to go to the spam thread, and thus crashes.

Workaround:

Get someone to text or iMessage you and click on the notification, thus bringing you directly into the new message thread, then go back to the main Messages screen with all the convos, and delete the spammy one without opening it.

Voila.
vgalbin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
kimble3
macrumors member

Really?

I guess it's nice but is it just me or is this kind of a half-assed solution? Take a screenshot and send an email? Why not just put a button or menu entry in Messages to report it directly. It just seems overly complicated...
kimble3 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Sometimes, I love the walled garden.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:56 PM   #7
donutbagel
Banned

I saw spam similar to the junk you see on AIM for the first time in iMessage. Some random account saying "Hey my new fave" then a link, probably to a phishing site. I told him to get lost, to put it nicely, just in case anyone is listening.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Sigspd
macrumors newbie

About time

Now, It is about time there was a way to report, but it should be included in the message app like maps having a way to report there is a problem.
Sigspd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:19 PM   #9
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

...So the wonderful international iMessage "groups" will cease to exist?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:20 PM   #10
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
In the long term this should be incorporated into the Messages app. In the current form it's more like a punishment to the victim by requiring them to draft a whole e-mail containing all the details, the screenshot, date and time, etc. etc.

I don't know how did the spammer get my contact details but somehow they managed to send several spam messages to me asking me to download a Chinese iOS game.
I agree, I don't know why there isn't just a "Mark as spam" button in the application, just like in Mail.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Don't post your iMessage address for the whole world to see in the first place?

You have to be pretty stupid to spam using an Apple device.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
mac 2005
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

And you have to be less than polite to throw the word "stupid" at people you've never met and people who may not share your knowledge. Before you roll your eyes at these folks, how about you help to educate them?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:34 AM   #13
caligomez
macrumors regular

I just want a way out of a group! I joined a group with college buddies during a reunion, and two months later I still get 40 messages a day from them. Granted, some of the messages are really funny, but it gets annoying during busy work days.

Oh, and I asked the group to remove my number, and I just got bombarded that day with 3 times the usual amount. Not gonna do that again...
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac 2005 View Post
And you have to be less than polite to throw the word "stupid" at people you've never met and people who may not share your knowledge. Before you roll your eyes at these folks, how about you help to educate them?
Because spammers are stupid? Come on. I've been getting spam in my e-mail since 1998 and absolutely nothing has changed. They've been using the same tactics to "get your attention" for the last decade. Spam needs to be more literate to be effective, and you'd think with all the people willing to write crap for 1 cent, that it would be.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:31 AM   #15
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

It's better than nothing, but there should just be a "Report Spam" button somewhere which automates the whole process.

Maybe Apple is working on such a system and is using the email method as a placeholder.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:22 AM   #16
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Sending a Mail for notice is not exactly a dedicated reporting tool, is it?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:47 AM   #17
HiRez
macrumors 601

Let's be honest, if we discovered Microsoft or Google asking users to use this method, we'd be shaking our heads and making fun of them right now.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:22 AM   #18
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I guess it's a start. Apple in this case is like a carrier and so something had to be implemented. Hopefully it will get improved over time.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:11 AM   #19
sillypooh
macrumors regular

Apple, please do a spam filter for SMS too. Please!
sillypooh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a

I'd feel more confident if Apple did a better job on iCloud mail spam filtering. GMail does a much better job in my case.
Mac21ND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to copy/paste the sender's contact, as needed for reporting? The normal process doesn't seem to work.

The process seems a lot more work than ignoring the spam. It is only going to work if it is easy, so that lots of people do it.

Last edited by Moonjumper; Jul 31, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Moonjumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:14 AM   #22
KentuckyApple
macrumors regular

block calls from Unknown?

Does anyone know if the new funtionality in iOS7 will allow you to block calls from "unknown"? I get 2-3 calls 2-3 times a week from an unknown number. I never pick it up, but the VMs left sound like the person on the other end is not aware of the call either.
KentuckyApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:20 AM   #23
Amadeus71
macrumors newbie

Spam report for emails would be nice, too

There are waives of emails that seem to target iCloud users every now and then: nothing for weeks, but then 3-5 in a single day. It's also family members who are signed up receiving these on the same day but I'm certain we have not all signed up anywhere that could have leaked the address.
Amadeus71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:05 AM   #24
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

one more reason to buy the iphone 5s.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:08 AM   #25
dbrand
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to dbrand
Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

Guess I'm pretty stupid then. Didn't even realize I had opened myself up to this attack. I simply checked a box that allowed my twitter account to use iMessage. Worst DOS attack I have ever encountered. Phone was bombarded with about 4 messages per second nonstop. It was tough to even figure out where it was coming from. Usually pretty careful about privacy settings but I guess it's a brave new world.
dbrand is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion