Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Isis to Roll Out National NFC Payment Service This Year With iPhone Support




Isis, the mobile wallet venture that has been backed by AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless, has announced that it will initiate a national rollout of service this year and will include support for Apple's iPhone, as reported by Bloomberg.

Quote:
"What you'll see coming from us is a vastly improved product, a variety of new places to use it, a vastly improved user experience," Ryan Hughes, chief marketing officer at New York-based Isis, said in an interview.
Prior to this announcement, Isis had begun testing its services at 4,000 locations in Austin, Texas and Salt Lake City, Utah. Isis CEO Ryan Hughes revealed that in these tests, Isis users made payments with the phone more than ten times a month on average, and claimed that two-thirds of users in the test program opted to receive advertisements and offers from their favorite brands. This form of advertising would be something that carriers would use to capture new forms of revenue as the number of new smartphone customers grow.

Transactions using near-field communication (NFC) technology are expected to hit $110 billion by 2017, and has been included with many phones that run Google's Android platform like the Samsung Galaxy S4, and phones that run Microsoft's Windows Phone platform, such as the Nokia Lumia 925. Apple's iPhone does not currently have NFC capabilities, but the company has been rumored to integrate the technology with the potential launch of the iPhone 5S in the Fall.

Article Link: Isis to Roll Out National NFC Payment Service This Year With iPhone Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Danyboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?
Danyboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
PollyK
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Wow, so sad to see Apple in this position where they're always playing catch up.
PollyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:25 AM   #4
mattlister
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
The company I work for Gemalto, was selected in 2011 to provide technology behind this project http://www.gemalto.com/telecom/linqus/mfs/mobile_nfc/isis.html

Great to see that the project is rolling out nationally in the USA, and that NFC is moving.
mattlister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:15 AM   #5
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a
 
mathcolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado
It's unfortunate that Isis will be supporting the iPhone before Google Wallet... the latter is so much better in terms of merchant support (Google Wallet is a bridge over to MasterCard PayPass) and app usability.

Oh well
__________________
13" MacBook Pro Retina - 2.6 GHz i5 - 512GB SSD - 8GB RAM
- Google Nexus 5
[Retired]13" MacBook Pro - 2.53 GHz C2D - 240GB SSD - 8GB RAM
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:55 AM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyK View Post
Wow, so sad to see Apple in this position where they're always playing catch up.
The chips have been available for quite some time. My guess is APPLE has deliberately held off on this technology, waiting for wider adoption. Timing is everything, and until there is the underlying infrastructure, necessary to make payment via NFC an option that has been adopted by a reasonably large percentage of the industry in general, and retailers in particular, introduction of this tech by APPLE in their hardware, would have been a disappointing experience for those of us sporting iOS devices with such technology.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:02 AM   #7
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyK View Post
Wow, so sad to see Apple in this position where they're always playing catch up.
Rubbish. Apple don't just chuck in new technologies for the sake of it. As other people said, they wait for it to be widely adopted, or perfect the technology before putting it into their products.

IMHO, it's sad to see other manufacturers in a position where they don't take any pride in their product, and have a mentality of chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks.
__________________
- "How can anyone do a spoken word version of a rap song?"
- "He found a way ... he found a way."
keysofanxiety is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Technarchy
macrumors 601
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I guess that explains the fingerprint sensor.
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
The chips have been available for quite some time. My guess is APPLE has deliberately held off on this technology, waiting for wider adoption. Timing is everything, and until there is the underlying infrastructure, necessary to make payment via NFC an option that has been adopted by a reasonably large percentage of the industry in general, and retailers in particular, introduction of this tech by APPLE in their hardware, would have been a disappointing experience for those of us sporting iOS devices with such technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Rubbish. Apple don't just chuck in new technologies for the sake of it. As other people said, they wait for it to be widely adopted, or perfect the technology before putting it into their products.
So, if every company does what you're saying Apple is doing, no technology would be developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
IMHO, it's sad to see other manufacturers in a position where they don't take any pride in their product, and have a mentality of chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks.
Let me understand the reasoning. You bash other companies for developing new technologies and praise Apple for waiting until the technology is well developed and released?

How do you think it would be ready for Apple is others doesn't implement it before?

Do you people read your arguments before writing them?
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Asriel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Apple's success has often been based on taking technologies that have been around for a while and making them more accessible to the less tech savvy (which actually includes most of the population).

I would say rather than waiting for a technology to take off, it's hard for them to take off WITHOUT Apple being involved, and NFC is a perfect example of this. I have no doubt that if it is implemented in the next iPhone, then it will finally get the boost it needs to become widespread.

(Then Apple can claim to have "invented" it like they did with "multitouch" and "smartphones" ;-) )
Asriel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:49 AM   #11
a0me
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?
Those of us living in countries where NFC is widely adopted can only hope.
__________________
iMac 24"; MacBook Pro 15"; iPhone 4; iPhone 5s; iPod touch; tv
a0me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:08 AM   #12
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Let me understand the reasoning. You bash other companies for developing new technologies and praise Apple for waiting until the technology is well developed and released?

How do you think it would be ready for Apple is others doesn't implement it before?

Do you people read your arguments before writing them?
Yes, I do praise Apple for waiting until a third-party technology is well developed and released, because they want to make the best products possible. There are plenty of examples where they haven't done that. Multi-touch, although previously developed, wasn't commonplace in phones or technology in general; they spent a good few years perfecting it with the UI for the iPhone and then releasing that.

Not to mention when they did things such as standardise USB in the first iMac -- heck, I'm still seeing modern computers come with PS2 ports for mouse & keyboard.

It's not a case of Apple piggy-backing on other people's innovations, not at all. But if there's a new technology just released, what's the point in putting it into their products if it won't be useful in commonplace scenarios? As SJ once said, the hardest part is to decide what not to put in your product, otherwise you'll end up with a product that does everything but excels in nothing.

Please let me know if you want me to clarify any points.
__________________
- "How can anyone do a spoken word version of a rap song?"
- "He found a way ... he found a way."
keysofanxiety is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:22 AM   #13
Asriel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
But if there's a new technology just released, what's the point in putting it into their products if it won't be useful in commonplace scenarios? As SJ once said, the hardest part is to decide what not to put in your product, otherwise you'll end up with a product that does everything but excels in nothing.
But Apple is in a very different position now to when iPhones were first released.

iPhone has such a big share of the market that any smartphone technology not included on it is missing from half the people who might otherwise use it. Unless it is so successful and obvious that Apple has no choice but to include it (say 3G or GPS missing from first iPhone), to some extent Apple gets to DECIDE whether it takes of or not by whether they play along.
Asriel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:25 AM   #14
PBUser167
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?
Go read the source article...

"By working on the iPhone, Isis is indicating that it’s expanding beyond a technology called near-field communication (NFC), which hasn’t taken off as expected."

Of course with the fingerprint scanner driver found in iOS7, it is certainly possible. They are probably doing something else to enable the mass of iPhones in use without NFC though. They could use the LCD screens on the NFC payment gear to show QRCodes for transaction IDs or similar. It would allow any phone with an app/camera/IP connection to do a fairly simple transaction without NFC hardware.
PBUser167 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:46 AM   #15
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Yes, I do praise Apple for waiting until a third-party technology is well developed and released, because they want to make the best products possible

Please let me know if you want me to clarify any points.
This point, for example.

What happens when all the companies do that?
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:50 AM   #16
iglobe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ios 7 gm will be release with iwallet solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUser167 View Post
Go read the source article...

"By working on the iPhone, Isis is indicating that it¡¯s expanding beyond a technology called near-field communication (NFC), which hasn¡¯t taken off as expected."

Of course with the fingerprint scanner driver found in iOS7, it is certainly possible. They are probably doing something else to enable the mass of iPhones in use without NFC though. They could use the LCD screens on the NFC payment gear to show QRCodes for transaction IDs or similar. It would allow any phone with an app/camera/IP connection to do a fairly simple transaction without NFC hardware.
NFC Booster : INSIDE Booster is a patented,standards-compliant NFC technology that is deployed in a SIM card, which plugs into ordinary mobile phones to turn them into fully functional NFC-enabled handsets.

*.Virtual Wallet : Virtual Wallet is an architecture and a contactless interface with high-speed communication capabilities that access a secure element stored in the cloud to securely interact with a contactless POS. To learn more about this, click here.

*.NFC 2.0 : Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is evolving rapidly. NFC 2.0 provides a superior user experience, connection to the real world, and optimized integration. NFC 2.0 bridges the virtual world with the real world, opening opportunities to create significant new revenue streams.
Apple had already cross licensed this tech by selling their Embedded Security Solutions division to Inside Secure for $48 million.
I think apple service provider will issue nfc 2.0 nano sim to customers.
NO NEED BUY A NEW PHONE,NOW IT JUST REQUIRES A PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO RUN.
iglobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:02 AM   #17
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by iglobe View Post
NFC Booster : INSIDE Booster is a patented,standards-compliant NFC technology that is deployed in a SIM card, which plugs into ordinary mobile phones to turn them into fully functional NFC-enabled handsets.

*.Virtual Wallet : Virtual Wallet is an architecture and a contactless interface with high-speed communication capabilities that access a secure element stored in the cloud to securely interact with a contactless POS. To learn more about this, click here.

*.NFC 2.0 : Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is evolving rapidly. NFC 2.0 provides a superior user experience, connection to the real world, and optimized integration. NFC 2.0 bridges the virtual world with the real world, opening opportunities to create significant new revenue streams.
Apple had already cross licensed this tech by selling their Embedded Security Solutions division to Inside Secure for $48 million.
I think apple service provider will issue nfc 2.0 nano sim to customers.
NO NEED BUY A NEW PHONE,NOW IT JUST REQUIRES A PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO RUN.
Good luck with that if the iPhone's metal sim tray turns out to be a half decent faraday cage.

Maybe in the plastic budget phones this would work better.

Does Apple even allow iOS app API to access SIM card?
__________________
iPhone 6 • iPad Air • Mac mini (i5, 2011)
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:08 AM   #18
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
This point, for example.

What happens when all the companies do that?
Well, Apple have developed many technologies that other companies have piggy-backed on. Apple put in their cash and efforts into the MacBook Air, iPhone, and a load of other products, despite a lot of controversy. This isn't some exclusive thing; it's how technology works.

With certain parts of technology, everybody chips in. But just go back to see the whole DVD vs HD-DVD vs BlueRay and you'll see it's simply ridiculous to immediately invest R&D into a new technology, just because it's new. And if your format loses, you lose.

I'm not sure how else to simplify this, your argument is mind-boggling. No point in Apple investing in NFC because it's not standard. There's no point. It would be stupid for them to have put NFC in the 3GS, for instance. Nobody bloody uses NFC. If, gradually, more shops worldwide accepted the format, then Apple would.

What if something 10x better than NFC was introduced next week, and everybody suddenly used it? What then? Good technology has a habit of taking off really quickly.

I don't know how to reply or clarify this, it just seems obvious to me. As far as I'm concerned, NFC is a gimmick at this point, and you think Apple not implementing it until it's the right time is a bad thing?

Crazy.
__________________
- "How can anyone do a spoken word version of a rap song?"
- "He found a way ... he found a way."
keysofanxiety is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:13 AM   #19
bearda
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germantown, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iglobe View Post
NFC Booster : INSIDE Booster is a patented,standards-compliant NFC technology that is deployed in a SIM card, which plugs into ordinary mobile phones to turn them into fully functional NFC-enabled handsets.

*.Virtual Wallet : Virtual Wallet is an architecture and a contactless interface with high-speed communication capabilities that access a secure element stored in the cloud to securely interact with a contactless POS. To learn more about this, click here.

*.NFC 2.0 : Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is evolving rapidly. NFC 2.0 provides a superior user experience, connection to the real world, and optimized integration. NFC 2.0 bridges the virtual world with the real world, opening opportunities to create significant new revenue streams.
Apple had already cross licensed this tech by selling their Embedded Security Solutions division to Inside Secure for $48 million.
I think apple service provider will issue nfc 2.0 nano sim to customers.
NO NEED BUY A NEW PHONE,NOW IT JUST REQUIRES A PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO RUN.
Cool idea, but I can't see it working in practice. Who are seemingly the only guys more resistant to change in the telecom industry than Apple? The carriers. Who world need to start issuing the NFC SIM cards? The carriers. Next to no chance of any significant adoption.
bearda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:13 AM   #20
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Well, Apple have developed many technologies that other companies have piggy-backed on. Apple put in their cash and efforts into the MacBook Air, iPhone, and a load of other products, despite a lot of controversy. This isn't some exclusive thing; it's how technology works.

With certain parts of technology, everybody chips in. But just go back to see the whole DVD vs HD-DVD vs BlueRay and you'll see it's simply ridiculous to immediately invest R&D into a new technology, just because it's new. And if your format loses, you lose.

I'm not sure how else to simplify this, your argument is mind-boggling. No point in Apple investing in NFC because it's not standard. There's no point. It would be stupid for them to have put NFC in the 3GS, for instance.

I don't know how to reply or clarify this, it just seems obvious to me.
I think that you're not understanding what I'm asking or I can't explain it.
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:13 AM   #21
bearda
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germantown, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Good luck with that if the iPhone's metal sim tray turns out to be a half decent faraday cage.

Maybe in the plastic budget phones this would work better.

Does Apple even allow iOS app API to access SIM card?
No, it doesn't.
bearda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:27 AM   #22
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
This point, for example.

What happens when all the companies do that?
It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. Sometimes Apple is among the first to adopt a technology (eg capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch, high-resolution smartphone screens). Other times they wait for technology to mature (3G, LTE, NFC). It doesn't always make sense to be a first mover. Being successful in a fast-moving industry like technology requires striking a balance. Push something out too quickly and you risk a poor user experience, security issues, or added cost. Wait too long and you risk losing customers. Neither Apple nor Samsung (the only two companies making serious money in mobile devices right now) are consistently first movers or late movers. Samsung tends to adopt certain technologies more quickly (wireless standards, NFC) but isn't always first and tends to use more conservative designs (eg they use simpler case designs such as polycarbonate throughout their product line). Apple has been an early adopter of mobile graphics technologies, has been more aggressive in customizing ARM chips, and pushes engineering and manufacturing design processes to their limits. On the other hand, they tend to wait for baseband, wireless protocol, and more ancillary technologies to mature.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:37 AM   #23
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. Sometimes Apple is among the first to adopt a technology (eg capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch, high-resolution smartphone screens). Other times they wait for technology to mature (3G, LTE, NFC). It doesn't always make sense to be a first mover. Being successful in a fast-moving industry like technology requires striking a balance. Push something out too quickly and you risk a poor user experience, security issues, or added cost. Wait too long and you risk losing customers. Neither Apple nor Samsung (the only two companies making serious money in mobile devices right now) are consistently first movers or late movers. Samsung tends to adopt certain technologies more quickly (wireless standards, NFC) but isn't always first and tends to use more conservative designs (eg they use simpler case designs such as polycarbonate throughout their product line). Apple has been an early adopter of mobile graphics technologies, has been more aggressive in customizing ARM chips, and pushes engineering and manufacturing design processes to their limits. On the other hand, they tend to wait for baseband, wireless protocol, and more ancillary technologies to mature.

Thanks for the answer.

Here lies one of the problems, I think people here tend to see that as Apple versus and I was not talking about Apple, Microsoft, Samsung or any company in particular, I was just talking about the concept.

I agree that there has to be a balance between being first and waiting to release so my astonishment when people bash companies for releasing a technology (the "chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks." comment) and praising other for waiting.
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:13 AM   #24
JasonKnight
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
No NFC in the iPhone for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?
There is not going to be any NFC Chip in the iPhone for now. The reason is lack of space for it, and the fact that Apple don't believe in NFC. Apple is betting on Bluetooth 4.0, also called Bluetooth Low Energy or Bluetooth Smart.

Bluetooth 4.0 can be used in the same way as NFC, but also in a lot of ways that NFC can not. Apple will therefore hold off on trying to incorporate a NFC chip in the iPhone.
JasonKnight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:42 AM   #25
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phila, Pa
A very interesting article that I found a few years ago on Bluetooth 4.0. I would love to see how Apple finally implements this new system.....

http://m.fastcompany.com/1785593/blu...-free-douchery
scapegoat81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incipio and AT&T Debut 'Cashwrap' iPhone Payment Case With NFC MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 27 Feb 1, 2014 11:59 PM
Thoughts on Isis payments and iPhone (No NFC)? dmystic1 iPhone 0 Oct 21, 2013 08:07 PM
AT&T Will Roll Out 'HD Voice' Support Later This Year MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Apr 3, 2013 09:51 AM
I solved the NFC Mystery! The new iPhone HAS NFC! arkon iPhone 14 Sep 4, 2012 04:49 PM
Next-Generation iPhone Prototypes Reportedly Support NFC for Mobile Payments MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 191 Jun 27, 2012 09:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC