Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

FileMaker Discontinuing Bento for Mac and iOS as of September 30

FileMaker Inc, a subsidiary of Apple, has announced in a statement that it will stop offering Bento, the consumer-friendly version of its popular Mac and iOS database software, in order to focus on its flagship FileMaker product line.
Quote:
FileMaker, Inc. is increasing its focus on FileMaker Product Line software. Thanks to the ease of creating iPad and iPhone solutions, our customers' use of FileMaker on iOS is growing rapidly. Our increased focus will create an even better experience for these customers.

As part of our sharpened focus, we will stop further development of the Bento consumer products.
The announcement, which was spotted by The Verge, comes more than 2 years after FileMaker released Bento 4 for the Mac, with an iPad version appearing in June 2012. Since then, the product has only seen updates for minor improvements and bug fixes, with no new major features released. FileMaker will stop offering Bento in both the Mac and iPhone/iPad App Stores as of September 30 of this year and both products will continue to be supported up until the end of July 2014, according to a post on FileMaker's technical support page.

The decision about why FileMaker chose to concentrate on its professional line is unclear, but the company has provided instructions on how to migrate existing Bento data over to FileMaker Pro. Users of Bento are also entitled to a $120 discount when buying the full version of FileMaker Pro for a limited time only.

Although FileMaker Pro is certainly more feature-rich than Bento, there are several features missing, such as integration with the Contacts, Calendar and iPhoto applications within OS X, as well as synchronization over Wi-Fi across different devices.

Article Link: FileMaker Discontinuing Bento for Mac and iOS as of September 30
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

It would have been nice to it released as part of the iWork suite.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I never understood the purpose of Bento in the first place.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:37 AM   #4
yojo056
macrumors newbie

Sad to see it go. I have version 4 and its quite handy for organizing data for projects and things. The price point of Filemaker Pro for what I do just doesn't make sense.
yojo056 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Because Filemaker costs about $300, and some people would like a database application for their personal data that doesn't cost that much.
Snowshiro is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:59 AM   #6
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I use it to pull clients out of my contact list. Simply put a 4 digit client number in the 'note' portion of the contact and bento automatically pulls it out and puts it in order. I don't utilize bento as much as I should, but it can actually do some decent things. And like someone else already said, I wasn't about to pay for filemaker pro.
sclawis300 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Bento's integration with OSX Contacts alone was worth the price of admission. IMO.
John.B is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:11 AM   #8
mabhatter
macrumors 6502

Bento is a classic case of not making a product THE BEST it could be to prevent it from being "like" another product they sold.

It was pretty obviously a top down design to make something "access-like" for iWork. Except it didn't have any integration with Pages or Numbers and in later versions they started pulling out what little integration it did have.

For being an "Apple" product (as filemaker is OWNED BY Apple) it was completely cut off from regular updates and such that iWork got, and they charged WAY TOO MUCH for minor version updates.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
I use it to pull clients out of my contact list. Simply put a 4 digit client number in the 'note' portion of the contact and bento automatically pulls it out and puts it in order. I don't utilize bento as much as I should, but it can actually do some decent things. And like someone else already said, I wasn't about to pay for filemaker pro.
I'm saying, there's many free, better supported alternatives to Bento.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What do you recommend?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:24 AM   #11
akwarner
macrumors member

Quote:
Yes please point out what they are. Bento is one of the big things I do on my iPhone. Very easily updated database on both Mac and iPhone. If it is going away, I'd love to hear about alternatives.

Thanks.

A.
akwarner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:41 AM   #12
lazarusr
macrumors newbie

I keep a simple log of the work I do each day. It contains details of the client and various data about the work done.

I currently use an app called ListPro by Ilium Software. There is an iPhone app that I can use when I am with the client for data entry and then I can sync it to the desktop version of ListPro when back home. It's all very cheap and simple and I can use the desktop version to export data to CSV for accounts and other things.

Unfortunately, the desktop version is Windows only and I have been looking for a Mac alternative (which has both an OSX and iPhone app) to use instead. The only option I have found was Bento (FM Pro is way too expensive).

If anyone knows of anything else, I would be keen to hear of it.
lazarusr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:43 AM   #13
DerrickEver
macrumors newbie

Disappointed about Bento

This is terrible news! I use Bento for so many thing including my vehicle maintenance log and the database for my thousands of CDs and LPs. Like others, Filemaker is too expensive for my needs. I'm also interested in hearing of other, inexpensive alternatives. And especially if I can easily export my data. I use the Mac and iOS versions and love the sync-ability.

But, even though Bento is being discontinued and eventually unsupported, there's still no reason why the app can't continue to be used for years to come. Right?
DerrickEver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
I'm still using a Claris-branded version of FileMaker Pro.
gramirez2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:13 AM   #15
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Maybe FileMaker will become cheaper, or part of iWork (on line)...?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Maybe FileMaker will become cheaper, or part of iWork (on line)...?
My thought too. Hopefully this is a prelude to a lower priced FileMaker. Make it less expensive and available on the Mac App Store perhaps?
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:33 AM   #17
codewrangler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusr View Post
I keep a simple log of the work I do each day. It contains details of the client and various data about the work done.

I currently use an app called ListPro by Ilium Software. There is an iPhone app that I can use when I am with the client for data entry and then I can sync it to the desktop version of ListPro when back home. It's all very cheap and simple and I can use the desktop version to export data to CSV for accounts and other things.

Unfortunately, the desktop version is Windows only and I have been looking for a Mac alternative (which has both an OSX and iPhone app) to use instead. The only option I have found was Bento (FM Pro is way too expensive).

If anyone knows of anything else, I would be keen to hear of it.

This looks like a possible replacement for Bento:

http://www.apimac.com/mac/idatabase/
codewrangler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:36 AM   #18
lord patton
macrumors 65816

I enthusiastically bought Bento when it came out, because it looked beautiful and I thought it would make tracking my clients easier. It never did anything but make my life more difficult. I stopped using it years ago.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Jeffois
macrumors newbie

Cross-grade?

I've used it only sporadically, but for those who might look to migrate to an alternative, if in fact a suitable one exists, I would keep an eye out for cross-grade pricing from Bento's former competitors. I obviously don't know if this is in the offing.
Jeffois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
iphonejunkie
macrumors newbie

Tapforms is a great alternative. There are versions for iPhone, iPad and the MAC.
iphonejunkie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:47 PM   #21
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonejunkie View Post
Tapforms is a great alternative. There are versions for iPhone, iPad and the MAC.
Oh, for the "MAC"? Is that the same as a Mac?
curmudgeon32 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:44 PM   #22
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Just now that I was contemplating getting it.....

In hindsight I'm glad, cause one more year of support wouldn't have cut it for me.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:12 PM   #23
mainmac
macrumors newbie

Prelude to Filemaker Lite?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Filemaker Lite released at FMP Dev Con immediately before the demise of Bento. It would be reasonable to sell a non-networked but otherwise full version of Filemaker desktop, that you could sync with FMGo on your iPhone/iPad, and it wouldn't cannibalize existing business Filemaker sales that require networking with Filemaker Server. There has been demand for a 'Lite' version of Filemaker ever since the end of AppleWorks.
mainmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:39 PM   #24
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Because Filemaker costs about $300, and some people would like a database application for their personal data that doesn't cost that much.
Some of my clients used FileMaker Pro on their Mac's. One had roughly a dozen system's. Cost her a fortunate to update all her systems. To qualify, each upgrade license had to be verified, and she had four upgrades during ownership. I had to install the first she had then each update for each system (wasn't a server system, she was very tech savvy but refused to change her setup).

I'm sure things have changed with digital downloads, but some companies still require valid license keys to qualify.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:19 PM   #25
autrefois
macrumors 65816

It's frustrating that Apple is discontinuing this. Although I didn't use it, it sounds like Bento had several useful features that FileMaker doesn't have. Google and Apple seem to be good at discontinuing products and features...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FileMaker
FileMaker, Inc. is increasing its focus on FileMaker Product Line software. Thanks to the ease of creating iPad and iPhone solutions, our customers' use of FileMaker on iOS is growing rapidly. Our increased focus will create an even better experience for these customers.

As part of our sharpened focus, we will stop further development of the Bento consumer products.
Apparently whoever wrote this press release wasn't focusing well enough to avoid being repetitive!
autrefois is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion