Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I have a 2011 MBP 13". 4GB Ram I5 Processor. After updating to Lion last year, like many, noticed reduced battery life. Went from about 8 hours of light use to 3-4 hours of light use. According to "Power" under system information my battery has 170 cycles and is "Normal". However, it seems like everyday tasks, Word, Internet, Email, ect really drain the battery down fast. Even more so if doing something like encoding a movie. (Yes I know this uses more CPU power) But should it really go from 100% to 60% for ten minutes of encoding work?

Lastly, the battery only charges up to 99%. Says it is fully charged, but the red light on the MAG adapter stays red. If I press the battery indicator button on the side of the computer it still shows one flashing green light. So is it still truly charging?

I guess I am trying to figure out if I need a new battery or not. I am unsure of the amount of cycles that one should get from the factory battery or the "acceptable" length of time a MBP should last on battery power with light use.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a 2011 MBP 13". 4GB Ram I5 Processor. After updating to Lion last year, like many, noticed reduced battery life. Went from about 8 hours of light use to 3-4 hours of light use. According to "Power" under system information my battery has 170 cycles and is "Normal". However, it seems like everyday tasks, Word, Internet, Email, ect really drain the battery down fast. Even more so if doing something like encoding a movie. (Yes I know this uses more CPU power) But should it really go from 100% to 60% for ten minutes of encoding work?

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
Lastly, the battery only charges up to 99%. Says it is fully charged, but the red light on the MAG adapter stays red. If I press the battery indicator button on the side of the computer it still shows one flashing green light. So is it still truly charging?
It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.