Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With a number of U.S. states preparing to host "sales tax holidays" in which certain items can be purchased without being subject to sales taxes, Apple has begun sending out emails to customers in those states reminding them of the potential to save significant amounts of money on purchases such as computers and accessories.

apple_sales_tax_holidays_2013.jpg
Sales tax holidays are typically held in early August as back to school shopping is in full swing, and item eligibility varies by state, with clothing and school supplies being the most common exempt items while some states also include computers. Apple has a feature page highlighting the ten states where certain Apple products will qualify for tax-free status, including links to full details on eligible products and price limits for each of those states. States where some Apple products qualify for the programs include Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

For education customers, the sales tax holidays come on top of Apple's discounted Mac pricing and its Back to School promotion, which offers customers gift cards of up to $100 with the purchase of a new Mac, iPad, or iPhone. The gift cards are valid in any of Apple's digital stores, which include the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore.

Article Link: Apple Reminds Customers in Some U.S. States of Upcoming Sales Tax Holidays

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2012
Thankfully when you're a multinational corporation with loophole lawyers every day is a tax holiday.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
In FL, the limit is $750 per item. Considering Apple's MacBooks are more expensive... not useful for the macbooks

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
In FL, the limit is $750 per item. Considering Apple's MacBooks are more expensive... not useful for the macbooks

I thought the same. I see Georgia's limit is $1k. Neither looks like its even the first $ amount is tax free and the rest isn't, it's an all or nothing kind of thing.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Many iPads etc are also. And given that Apple's discount is only for college kids, those parents with grade school requirements to get a ipad will love saving any pennies off it.

Oh, didn't realize they qualified. Not the best idea though, considering they'll likely see an upgrade in about a month or two.

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
People blame Apple when they avoid legally tax. But they themselves like to buy stuff on tax holiday. :rolleyes:

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
Good timing for me....

Our tax-free weekend starts this Friday.

I'm planning on getting a Mac mini and possibly a rMBP. :)

Which saves me ~$130 in tax. :D

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
If California had a tax holiday, 30% of its residents would starve, die, or not be able to afford lottery tickets.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Thankfully when you're a multinational corporation with loophole lawyers every day is a tax holiday.

Or, you know, just shop in New Hampshire. I think there's another state without sales tax, but I do most of my shopping in NH.

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Anybody do the math yet on the savings at 7% tax on new MBA.....

Looking for total out of pocket AFTER student discount and free App card and NO tax.

I'm at work and being lazy lol.

Thanks.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Since businesses (usually from out of state) generally get a free ride by getting to keep all sales tax just for operating in some states (including mine), it is nice that some states have one day when the consumer gets to make some purchases tax-free. Some states even have caps on the max amount of tax which can be assessed on any one item. This stimulates the LOCAL economy and Apple is clever to leverage this in the states that offer it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
If the new rMBP is released before the Tax Holiday, I'm all for this instead of traveling to Delaware.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
We used to have a permanent tax holiday called Amazon.com, but the state of AZ sued them, and I guess since we have 2 or 3 distribution centers here, they now charge us tax. :/

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Or you could just order from someplace like macmall or amazon and (in many cases) not pay tax any day of the year (yes, I know there are now some states where that's no longer the case).

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Anybody do the math yet on the savings at 7% tax on new MBA.....

Looking for total out of pocket AFTER student discount and free App card and NO tax.

I'm at work and being lazy lol.

Thanks.

You had time to write this but couldn't figure out 7% of the msrp. How do I get a refund on the taxes spent on your education?

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
We used to have a permanent tax holiday called Amazon.com, but the state of AZ sued them, and I guess since we have 2 or 3 distribution centers here, they now charge us tax. :/

There is a way around that. Instead of buying from amazon look at some of the other retailers listed. If you buy from a third party they won't charge you tax. You have to take into account all things though, shipping costs, time, ect.

I have done this a few times and saved a few bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.