Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Campbellot
macrumors member

Home Button Delay on iPhone 5 with iOS 7

Hey folks. Are you experiencing a one second delay in responsiveness of the home button on iPhone 5 in iOS 7? This delay has been present for me in all betas. Any thoughts?
Campbellot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone 5, but my guess is it's just beta lag. Home button clicks may take up to 5 seconds on my iPhone 4 to be processed, but it's getting quicker. That lag depends on what I do on my phone though.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Campbellot
macrumors member

My iPad 3rd generation running ios7 beta has NO home button lag at all.
Campbellot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4
FreeStyLeMaSTeR
macrumors member

Yeah definitely there is lag but I am sure it will be fixed in final version. After using beta 4, i started to believe ios 7 will be great
FreeStyLeMaSTeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
cleo1
macrumors regular

Absolutely. This is the one thing in iOS 7 that must be fixed prior to release.
cleo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
emckai
macrumors regular

I'm not having any issues with any home button lag.
If you mean when you press it and you have to wait 100ms for it to respond.. You have to be kidding me.
emckai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:12 PM   #7
cleo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emckai View Post
If you mean when you press it and you have to wait 100ms for it to respond.. You have to be kidding me.
Not 100ms, closer to 500. Point is, it now takes longer to get from home button-push to home screen and since this is such a common action, the increased lag must contribute greatly to the perception of 'speed' of the OS.
cleo1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8
emckai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Not 100ms, closer to 500. Point is, it now takes longer to get from home button-push to home screen and since this is such a common action, the increased lag must contribute greatly to the perception of 'speed' of the OS.
The point is there are bigger issues that have to be resolved before the release. Anything such as animation 'speed up' will probably be addressed at the end.
emckai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
cleo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
The point is there are bigger issues that have to be resolved before the release. Anything such as animation 'speed up' will probably be addressed at the end.
Animation speed has been addressed little-by-little throughout the beta cycle but by beta 4 it has become worrisome that this particular issue has persisted. That's why several of us are speaking up now. Previously, we were mostly in the 'they will fix it soon enough' camp. Trying to downplay the issue is ridiculous—this is the user end that everyone sees. The 'iOS 7 is slow' meme has already taken root and this is the issue everyone is actually referring to—the animations themselves are quite speedy. If it were so easy to resolve, they would have already done it.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
polygoo
macrumors member

Interestingly I've noticed it's very slightly faster when parallax is off.
polygoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Osullivan1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygoo View Post
Yeah, I've noticed everything is faster and battery life is better when parallax is off, which is why I don't use it.

RE everyone complaining about home button lag, I'm pretty sure that's been there for ages so that it has time to detect a double click of the home button (for multitasking)... If not then I'm not experiencing anything - runs fine on my 5.
Osullivan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 65816

The home button does takes longer to respond now on my iPhone 5 than it did with iOS 6. Overall, iOS 7 feels slower than iOS 6 because of the animations, which is annoying. I've turned off parallax as well because I thought it was annoying. I don't like the movement, and I don't like that it stretches my wallpapers.

I hope that by GM they speed up the animations more and reduce the home button lag. Even so, I still love iOS 7!

Last edited by Lava Lamp Freak; Jul 31, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:44 PM   #13
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Agreed it is slower and I hope it speeds up. It is concerning tho, especially if they are internally testing the GM version.

Iv turned parallax off also, definitely speeds things up.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygoo View Post
Parallax is a joke. Nothing more than a gimmick.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Georgij
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Parallax is a joke. Nothing more than a gimmick.
That will sure lure Samsung fans over
Georgij is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Campbellot
macrumors member

Quote:
I have literally counted 1 Mississippi (1 sec) before there is the BEGINNING of a transition after the home button is pressed. It's not a minor point. It really slows it down when coupled with these laggy animations.
Campbellot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:41 PM   #17
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellot View Post
I have literally counted 1 Mississippi (1 sec) before there is the BEGINNING of a transition after the home button is pressed. It's not a minor point. It really slows it down when coupled with these laggy animations.
Yes mine takes literally 1sec+ on my iPhone 5 with beta 4 with a fresh install no restore from back up.
jeremiah239 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:47 PM   #18
bbfc
macrumors 68000

The phone is definitely slower to wake up on iOS 7 due to the new animation. Not slow slow, but slow compared to iOS 6.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:11 AM   #19
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I'd love it if the actual iPhone 5 brought up the home screen as quick as Apple would make out that it does [on their web site video]...

Nice catch indeed.
That's how it looks if you have an iPhone 5S.

Planned obsolescence, anyone? Apple may purposely set longer animation lengths on older phones and shorter animation lengths on newer phones. Animation delays and differences in delays are so obvious that this would be an obvious tactic to convince users of the need to upgrade to a newer, faster phone.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:24 AM   #20
dsdevries
macrumors member

With iOS 7, they are probably implementing the fingerprint reader into the home button. Probably there just some bugs in it still. I'm quite confident that they will fix this on time. It's their main feature of the next iphone.
dsdevries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:49 AM   #21
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdevries View Post
With iOS 7, they are probably implementing the fingerprint reader into the home button. Probably there just some bugs in it still. I'm quite confident that they will fix this on time. It's their main feature of the next iphone.
They just need to speed the animation up. That's it is. It does take longer for the phone to wake when you press the home button due to the new fade-in animation.
bbfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfc View Post
They just need to speed the animation up. That's it is. It does take longer for the phone to wake when you press the home button due to the new fade-in animation.
I reverted to iOS 6 today just to see if my memory was faulty on how fast it was. I'm amazed at how much of a difference there is. iOS 6 is significantly faster than iOS 7 because of the animations. I hope that it is just because it's a beta and that the release version will be the same speed as iOS 6.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:03 PM   #23
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I reverted to iOS 6 today just to see if my memory was faulty on how fast it was. I'm amazed at how much of a difference there is. iOS 6 is significantly faster than iOS 7 because of the animations. I hope that it is just because it's a beta and that the release version will be the same speed as iOS 6.
They have changed a number of animations - including the screen wake up. This is what causes the slight delay. iOS 6 is much faster, but its not a beta and doesn't use transparency, blurred lines and animations in the way iOS 7 does.

I presume the animations will continually be sped up throughout the beta process.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:22 PM   #24
cleo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
The animation is fine. It's the lag prior to the animation.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
The animation is fine. It's the lag prior to the animation.
For the home button, yeah. But everything else is also slower because of the animations for switching apps.

I think what I see as slowing everything down is the lag at the end of the animations. When I launch email, I have to wait longer to select a message in iOS 7 than I do in iOS 6. The same goes for every app. There is a short period of time before the screen becomes clickable that doesn't exist after the animation in iOS 6.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7