Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Campbellot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Hey folks. Are you experiencing a one second delay in responsiveness of the home button on iPhone 5 in iOS 7? This delay has been present for me in all betas. Any thoughts?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I don't have an iPhone 5, but my guess is it's just beta lag. Home button clicks may take up to 5 seconds on my iPhone 4 to be processed, but it's getting quicker. That lag depends on what I do on my phone though.

Campbellot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
My iPad 3rd generation running ios7 beta has NO home button lag at all.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah definitely there is lag but I am sure it will be fixed in final version. After using beta 4, i started to believe ios 7 will be great

cleo1

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Absolutely. This is the one thing in iOS 7 that must be fixed prior to release.

emckai

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not having any issues with any home button lag.
If you mean when you press it and you have to wait 100ms for it to respond.. You have to be kidding me.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
If you mean when you press it and you have to wait 100ms for it to respond.. You have to be kidding me.

Not 100ms, closer to 500. Point is, it now takes longer to get from home button-push to home screen and since this is such a common action, the increased lag must contribute greatly to the perception of 'speed' of the OS.

emckai

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Not 100ms, closer to 500. Point is, it now takes longer to get from home button-push to home screen and since this is such a common action, the increased lag must contribute greatly to the perception of 'speed' of the OS.

The point is there are bigger issues that have to be resolved before the release. Anything such as animation 'speed up' will probably be addressed at the end.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
The point is there are bigger issues that have to be resolved before the release. Anything such as animation 'speed up' will probably be addressed at the end.

Animation speed has been addressed little-by-little throughout the beta cycle but by beta 4 it has become worrisome that this particular issue has persisted. That's why several of us are speaking up now. Previously, we were mostly in the 'they will fix it soon enough' camp. Trying to downplay the issue is ridiculous—this is the user end that everyone sees. The 'iOS 7 is slow' meme has already taken root and this is the issue everyone is actually referring to—the animations themselves are quite speedy. If it were so easy to resolve, they would have already done it.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Interestingly I've noticed it's very slightly faster when parallax is off.

Yeah, I've noticed everything is faster and battery life is better when parallax is off, which is why I don't use it.

RE everyone complaining about home button lag, I'm pretty sure that's been there for ages so that it has time to detect a double click of the home button (for multitasking)... If not then I'm not experiencing anything - runs fine on my 5.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The home button does takes longer to respond now on my iPhone 5 than it did with iOS 6. Overall, iOS 7 feels slower than iOS 6 because of the animations, which is annoying. I've turned off parallax as well because I thought it was annoying. I don't like the movement, and I don't like that it stretches my wallpapers.

I hope that by GM they speed up the animations more and reduce the home button lag. Even so, I still love iOS 7!

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Agreed it is slower and I hope it speeds up. It is concerning tho, especially if they are internally testing the GM version.

Iv turned parallax off also, definitely speeds things up.

Campbellot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013

I have literally counted 1 Mississippi (1 sec) before there is the BEGINNING of a transition after the home button is pressed. It's not a minor point. It really slows it down when coupled with these laggy animations.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I have literally counted 1 Mississippi (1 sec) before there is the BEGINNING of a transition after the home button is pressed. It's not a minor point. It really slows it down when coupled with these laggy animations.
Yes mine takes literally 1sec+ on my iPhone 5 with beta 4 with a fresh install no restore from back up.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I'd love it if the actual iPhone 5 brought up the home screen as quick as Apple would make out that it does [on their web site video]...

Nice catch indeed.
That's how it looks if you have an iPhone 5S. :rolleyes:

Planned obsolescence, anyone? Apple may purposely set longer animation lengths on older phones and shorter animation lengths on newer phones. Animation delays and differences in delays are so obvious that this would be an obvious tactic to convince users of the need to upgrade to a newer, faster phone.

dsdevries

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
With iOS 7, they are probably implementing the fingerprint reader into the home button. Probably there just some bugs in it still. I'm quite confident that they will fix this on time. It's their main feature of the next iphone.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
With iOS 7, they are probably implementing the fingerprint reader into the home button. Probably there just some bugs in it still. I'm quite confident that they will fix this on time. It's their main feature of the next iphone.

They just need to speed the animation up. That's it is. It does take longer for the phone to wake when you press the home button due to the new fade-in animation.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
They just need to speed the animation up. That's it is. It does take longer for the phone to wake when you press the home button due to the new fade-in animation.

I reverted to iOS 6 today just to see if my memory was faulty on how fast it was. I'm amazed at how much of a difference there is. iOS 6 is significantly faster than iOS 7 because of the animations. I hope that it is just because it's a beta and that the release version will be the same speed as iOS 6.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I reverted to iOS 6 today just to see if my memory was faulty on how fast it was. I'm amazed at how much of a difference there is. iOS 6 is significantly faster than iOS 7 because of the animations. I hope that it is just because it's a beta and that the release version will be the same speed as iOS 6.

They have changed a number of animations - including the screen wake up. This is what causes the slight delay. iOS 6 is much faster, but its not a beta and doesn't use transparency, blurred lines and animations in the way iOS 7 does.

I presume the animations will continually be sped up throughout the beta process.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013

The animation is fine. It's the lag prior to the animation.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The animation is fine. It's the lag prior to the animation.

For the home button, yeah. But everything else is also slower because of the animations for switching apps.

I think what I see as slowing everything down is the lag at the end of the animations. When I launch email, I have to wait longer to select a message in iOS 7 than I do in iOS 6. The same goes for every app. There is a short period of time before the screen becomes clickable that doesn't exist after the animation in iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.