Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Drops the Price on Refurbished Apple TV to $75

Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price and a $10 drop from the previous price for refurbished units.

Google's Chromecast, which functions similarly to AirPlay and allows users to mirror content from a tablet, smartphone, or laptop to a television, retails for just $35. The dongle plugs in to any HDTV and offers apps like YouTube and Netflix, with additional offerings in the works.

Though the Apple TV can't compete with the Chromecast on price, Apple has been working on building new features into the device. Released alongside betas for iOS 7 and Mavericks, the Apple TV beta software has introduced iTunes Radio, a "Conference Room Mode" for business and academic settings, and recently, a function that allows users to purchase music on their TVs.

Apple also has plans to further integrate iOS 7 with the Apple TV, allowing for simple Bluetooth setup of the device, and the company has improved the set-top box's content offerings in recent months. In June, Apple added multiple new channels, including WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, and more, and is said to be in talks with additional companies such as Time Warner Cable and the CW to bring even more content to the Apple TV.

As with all refurbished products that Apple sells, the Apple TV comes with a one year warranty and can be purchased online or picked up in stores.

Article Link: Apple Drops the Price on Refurbished Apple TV to $75
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

If only Apple did more with the ATV. Just imagine the rumours of games and apps for the ATV! So much unused potential. Also, the channels up here in Canada suck!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Chromecast has an SDK. Apple TV still does not.

It's mind boggling why they are individually releasing 1 or 2 new 'apps' a year instead of releasing a SDK and allowing 3rd party developers to incorporate new functionality.
macsrcool1234 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post

It's mind boggling why they are individually releasing 1 or 2 new 'apps' a year instead of releasing a SDK and allowing 3rd party developers to incorporate new functionality.
Roku has an SDK, channel store, the whole 9 yards, and they are doing great. They are really leaps and bounds ahead of Apple in that department
Tiger8 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
tasset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
If only Apple did more with the ATV. Just imagine the rumours of games and apps for the ATV! So much unused potential. Also, the channels up here in Canada suck!
Yes so much potential, but if anything I hope Chromecast will spur Apple to get on the stick and do the apps/SDK for it soon. If Apple thinks their relationships with select partners (Neflix, MLB, HBO, etc) will keep other entrants from offering an alternative, the Chromecast does a convincing job of showing them to think again as those partners will work with someone else as well.
tasset is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:20 PM   #6
TimWillz
macrumors member

Chromecast

Chromecast, what Chromecast.
TimWillz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

if this is apple move, then it is subtle. very subtle, just like when surface rt launched and apple surprised us with 128 gb ipad.

but then again, this is just for refurbished item. once all the stock is gone, then back to $99.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:22 PM   #8
ezhilk
macrumors member

Quote:

I am guessing its got something to do with the TV rumors. Maybe they are holding back opening up the system because an Apple TV puck with a ton of capabilities can potentially jeopardize their rumored TV's sales once it comes out, and Apple stands to lose all their margins on such a product due to a $100 "hobby".
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Georgij
macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting one of those, but I need to get a TV first.
Georgij is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price.
It hardly seems like a reaction to Chromecast. Apple discounts all of their refurbished items.
pancakedrawer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Sneakz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
It hardly seems like a reaction to Chromecast. Apple discounts all of their refurbished items.
It was sitting at $85 for well over a year. Now Chromecast shows up for $35 and it finally drops to $75?
Sneakz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
realeric
macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple allow jailbreak or add media player playing divx/mkv files.
realeric is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 PM   #13
tasset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhilk View Post
I am guessing its got something to do with the TV rumors, maybe they are holding back opening up the system, as an Apple TV puck with a ton of capabilities can potentially jeopardize their rumored TV's sales once it comes out, and Apple stands to lose all their margins on such a product due to a $100 "hobby".
I understand your statement but I sure hope Apple does not think that. They really have to separate out the device/brains (puck) from the screen itself. I love my Apple devices but I cannot see how they will enter the market against such thin-margined competitors that already exist. Samsung will MURDER them.
tasset is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
True. But the article failed to mention that prior to today, the Refurb ATV would usually go for $85 (if my memory hasn't failed me).
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
FirePhantom
macrumors member

If only Apple would open an App Store and allow independent development for the Apple TV.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:29 PM   #16
parapup
macrumors 65816

Apple needs to have a $35 Airplay-Only device. I am pretty sure most people use their AppleTV for little more than AirPlay.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I'm not sure you understand how the SDK for Chromecast works. It will allow you to connect your apps to the device and stream content. The code from the SDK does not run on the Chromecast. It runs on the server device. Just like the iOS SDK allows for AirPlay. I am not aware of any advantage from the SDK on the Chromecast other then cross platform clients.
err404 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Omek
macrumors regular

That's great, Apple. But the Apple TV 3G is still useless until it can be jailbroken.
Omek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
machpost
macrumors regular

The first generation Apple TV always had an iTunes Store feature. It would be nice to see that returned to the Apple TV, as well, so one could search for or browse music/movies/TV shows, and make purchases on the device, not just from iTunes Radio.
machpost is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #20
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
True. But the article failed to mention that prior to today, the Refurb ATV would usually go for $85 (if my memory hasn't failed me).
"Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price and a $10 drop from the previous price for refurbished units."
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Todd B.
Banned

Quote:

It's mind boggling to why people think "Chromecast" is in the same league as AppleTV when it's nothing more than a poor mans Airplay.
Todd B. is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:33 PM   #22
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Also, the channels up here in Canada suck!
In Romania we have like 2 channels, so don't complain !
hamiltonDSi is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
inlinevolvo
Banned

This is too funny. I was just looking at buying one on the refurb store for 85 last night, now I get another 10 off for waiting one more day. It's a good hump day.
inlinevolvo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:35 PM   #24
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post
The first generation Apple TV always had an iTunes Store feature. It would be nice to see that returned to the Apple TV, as well, so one could search for or browse music/movies/TV shows, and make purchases on the device, not just from iTunes Radio.
Now you can buy music and rent movies & tv shows with the new beta update for Apple TV.
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:37 PM   #25
inlinevolvo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
It's mind boggling to why people think "Chromecast" is in the same league as AppleTV when it's nothing more than a poor mans Airplay.
It is also done poorly and very sluggish. It's a rev A product so give it time, but the price point certainly is enticing.
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion