Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
jstork123
macrumors newbie

registry

Hi all,
I'm not great at computers, but was wondering if there's a way I can check and keep track of what goes on in the mac. I want to know for example, if my son has been playing video games. I look at the recent items, but it does not show.
Any posts appreciated!
jstork123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I believe you'd want to start poking around in Console.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
GermanyChris
Banned

which is in the utilities folder.

CMD + Option + U

if not located in a convenient place
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
RadDave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstork123 View Post
Hi all,
I'm not great at computers, but was wondering if there's a way I can check and keep track of what goes on in the mac. I want to know for example, if my son has been playing video games. I look at the recent items, but it does not show.
Any posts appreciated!
Hi Jstork - I'm a recent 'Apple Switcher' so would be curious about the responses from others, so main reason to join this thread -

But, you might want to provide some more information, e.g. what computer does your son use & what is his age? What is the OS X version? Who controls the 'Users' on the computer? Are these games apps on the computer and/or online? May help others provide more specific comments.

Monitoring and tracking software comes w/ the Apple OS - the Console as stated provides logs (not sure if the ones that will help you?) & Activity Monitor provides much useful information but does not track software use as far as I know - there may be some 3rd party apps that others can discuss.

Now, if you or another adult controls the computer and if your son is young, then you might want to consider using 'Parental Controls' (check in 'System Preferences') - some INFO HERE - good luck & looking forward to some more posts -
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

You can definitely set up parental controls and create him his own user account.

You can access the Parental Controls setting by going to the Apple on the menubar -> System Preferences -> Parental Controls

From there it's pretty self-explanatory.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
jstork123
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys!

My son is 14, turning 15, and it's he's using the mac pro laptop I bought for him, which we agreed he'd let me use.

I think the game's he's playing are not applications, but disc or online games, not sure. I can put controls on it, but I'd rather have trust in him.

I looked at the console, but I don't really know how to read it, and it only shows error logs or something right?

Is there any other way to see what programs were used and for what period of time?
jstork123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
RadDave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstork123 View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys!

My son is 14, turning 15, and it's he's using the mac pro laptop I bought for him, which we agreed he'd let me use.

I think the game's he's playing are not applications, but disc or online games, not sure. I can put controls on it, but I'd rather have trust in him.

I looked at the console, but I don't really know how to read it, and it only shows error logs or something right?

Is there any other way to see what programs were used and for what period of time?
Well, as you've stated, I don't believe the native monitoring apps will satisfy your needs. But out of curiosity I just googled 'Mac monitoring software' and one hit was for Spector Pro Mac - appears to be the 'type' of app you desire (NOW, I've not used this program and cannot provide any comments or recommendations - maybe others will 'chime in' about this software or possibly other choices?). However, young teens on computers are pretty tech savvy, so just wondering? Good luck - Dave
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion