Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I imagine the reason at least half of them get returned are for the screen retention. Would they replace them or just try to resell them as is?

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I imagine the reason at least half of them get returned are for the screen retention. Would they replace them or just try to resell them as is?
Many are returned in the 14-day return period with zero problems -- I just did that and the machine was pristine when I handed it back.

Refurb doesn't automatically mean "repaired"; it includes "been sold/opened and can't be resold as new."

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Not necessarily. You have no guarantee, but they do have a 2 week return policy.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
apple usually does stringent tests before refurbed macs are sold. If a mac was returned for IR they replace the screen. Or else if in their test they notice an issue they replace. Plus you have a 1 year warranty to handle issues post 14 day period.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Many are returned in the 14-day return period with zero problems -- I just did that and the machine was pristine when I handed it back.

Refurb doesn't automatically mean "repaired"; it includes "been sold/opened and can't be resold as new."

Pretty sure I said "half of", implying that others were returned for other reasons. As in, if it WAS returned because of the screen, would they fix it before reselling it.

apple usually does stringent tests before refurbed macs are sold. If a mac was returned for IR they replace the screen. Or else if in their test they notice an issue they replace. Plus you have a 1 year warranty to handle issues post 14 day period.

Thank you. And the IR screens are eligible for repair under warranty or is it a case by case basis?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
When you return a refurb, does it have to done via shipping or can you return it at a local Apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.