Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Probably doesn't support O2's LTE frequency?

The 5S will fix this, if this is true. Sucks though.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I'm sure Vodafone will be the same. Only EE and Three will support the iPhone 5 (as they use the same frequency).

I thought 3 were sold a spectrum that was different to EE? I know that 3 bought some of EEs spectrum which, obviously, does work on the current iP5 but I thought that the majority of the spectrum 3 bought after this won't be compatible with the iP5?

Of course, I could be mistaken. Just wanted a little clarification.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I thought 3 were sold a spectrum that was different to EE? I know that 3 bought some of EEs spectrum which, obviously, does work on the current iP5 but I thought that the majority of the spectrum 3 bought after this won't be compatible with the iP5?

Of course, I could be mistaken. Just wanted a little clarification.

You are right. 3 have spectrum from EE and from the government sale, both with different frequencies. How will that work?

I've been with 3 for a few years now and they offer speeds which are equal to/or sometimes greater than 4G on EE using 3.5G/HSDPA. Until I got BT Ininifty (fibre optic) installed at home, my data connection on my phone offered faster internet than my home broadband.

At least 3 won't charge the ridiculous high prices that EE are asking for, and then don't even offer unlimited data. In fact, unless you are going to pay over £40 p/m, you can only get 1500MB a month. Total rip off.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-tariffs/pay-monthly/?plan=24-month

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You are right. 3 have spectrum from EE and from the government sale, both with different frequencies. How will that work?

Err... exactly how you said.

They have 1800MHz spectrum purchased from EE.

They have 800MHz spectrum they won in the recent auction.

800MHz is better for covering a wider area (i.e. rural areas) at the expense of capacity

1800MHz is the reverse (worse coverage of area, more capacity)

2600MHz spectrum has been won by Vodafone, EE and BT - offering even more capacity than 1800MHz, but less coverage area.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Err... exactly how you said.

They have 1800MHz spectrum purchased from EE.

They have 800MHz spectrum they won in the recent auction.

800MHz is better for covering a wider area (i.e. rural areas) at the expense of capacity

1800MHz is the reverse (worse coverage of area, more capacity)

2600MHz spectrum has been won by Vodafone, EE and BT - offering even more capacity than 1800MHz, but less coverage area.

I see. So Vodafone, EE (like they so now) and BT can brag they have the best capacity, but only in certain areas.

If you are in a rural area, then capacity is less of a concern then? But if you are in a city you would except better speeds and better capacity.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had a text this morning....4G rolls out in London in August, and 12 more cities by the end of the year.

Plan prices start at £26.00 and that's official O2 info, although they don't state which cities are to be included by October.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
I had a text this morning....4G rolls out in London in August, and 12 more cities by the end of the year.

Plan prices start at £26.00 and that's official O2 info, although they don't state which cities are to be included by October.

26 quid but how much mins, texts and data do you get?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

It won't be much that's for sure.

I believe it's London, Leeds and Bradford first. Then most other major cities by end of year.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Hopefully both the 5S and 5C have the ability to use O2 4G. Then time to ditch the iPhone 5 and up the speed.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010

I've been with 3 for a few years now and they offer speeds which are equal to/or sometimes greater than 4G on EE using 3.5G/HSDPA.

I completely agree with you.

iPhone 5 + 3 network:

photo-2.PNG

Yes 3 may have patchy signal in certain areas and I have to admit, the signal struggles in big buildings (especially hospitals) but their 3G speeds are fantastic. If you're in an area with strong signal on 3, I can't think of a better network for consuming data.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I completely agree with you.

iPhone 5 + 3 network:

View attachment 426238

Yes 3 may have patchy signal in certain areas and I have to admit, the signal struggles in big buildings (especially hospitals) but their 3G speeds are fantastic. If you're in an area with strong signal on 3, I can't think of a better network for consuming data.

Exactly. I live in a city (well a suburb in a large city) and work in a large town so I have no problem with signal. The only time i get crappy reception is when I visit my parents who live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, as Three don't have a 2G network to fall back on anymore.

I actually get better reception (and faster data speeds) in Newcastle than I do in London (and i'm talking Central London), which I find so weird.

Also, the fact that they are the only network to offer truly unlimited data, on such cheap tariffs also. You can get Unlimited data (and a load of other stuff) for around £13 p/m on a SIM only tariff.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.