Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Duplicating AAC file then converting the duplicate to MP3. So I can squeeze more songs on my iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. What do you guys think? Pros and cons about it and such.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Just let iTunes downconvert your originals to 128K AAC when syncing. This leaves your original encodings intact.

What do you mean? If I convert an mp3 to AAC, its 256. But I want to make a copy of all my songs and convert it to mp3 for my phone. I want to put the AAC music files in an external hard drive and just leave the mp3 on my iTunes.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Converting from one lossy format to another isn't going to make it better. So unless your MP3s are 320k or lossless converting them to AAC isn't going to gain you anything.

iTunes has a radio box for down-converting to 128k while syncing. No need to make extra copies and it doesn't care what the source format is.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What do you mean? If I convert an mp3 to AAC, its 256. But I want to make a copy of all my songs and convert it to mp3 for my phone. I want to put the AAC music files in an external hard drive and just leave the mp3 on my iTunes.
You're trying to over manage your music. Over managing leads to mistakes. In iTunes when each device is connected, just enable the convert option (highlighted in the attachment) and select the bit rate you want. This will let you get more music on your devices without you having to manually manage the conversions and such.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 11.31.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 11.31.33 AM.png
    130 KB · Views: 164

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Ok. So whatever bit rate my music are in iTunes, when I connect my iDevices to my computer, it will make a copy of the options I selected without making any changes in the original music I have? Just wanting to make sure and don't want to screw this up.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Ok. So whatever bit rate my music are in iTunes, when I connect my iDevices to my computer, it will make a copy of the options I selected without making any changes in the original music I have? Just wanting to make sure and don't want to screw this up.
When you have the "Convert higher bitrate" option enabled, the songs on the computer itself are not modified. So your iTunes library on your computer will be as you left it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Got it! Awesome advice guys!

What's the best music files other than AAC?

If your music is already in a lossy format then the ONLY way is to leave it as is. Any conversion will LOWER quality (except converting to ALAC which will keep quality the same in a larger file).

If you are going to rip a CD (or other lossless source/file) the best in order would be ALAC (lossless), FLAC (Lossless too but not Apple compatible), AAC 360Kbps, AAC 256Kbps, MP3 360Kbps, MP3 256Kbps, AAC 128Kbps and MP3 128 Kbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.