Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix.png
Netflix announced today that it is opening up its new 'profiles' feature to all accounts, after a brief beta period. The feature allows families to assign unique Netflix profiles -- up to 5 -- to each viewer, with individual Recently Watched and Instant Queue lists.

As a result, families and married couples won't be able to 'ruin' each other's Netflix experiences by watching an out-of-character show that then significantly affects Netflix's recommendations. The iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV should all gain access to profiles "over the next few days."

Profiles began appearing on the Apple TV for users in the beta earlier this week.
We've made it easy to add additional profiles, all you have to do is provide a name. Over the next few days, profiles will roll out on most Netflix devices, including the website, iPad, iPhone, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Apple TV, and newer Smart TV's and Blu-Ray players. We'll be adding additional devices like the Nintendo Wii and Android soon. For now, you can add more profiles on the website and the PS3, but you can select a profile on any of the devices listed above.
Netflix is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix Opens Up Multiple Profile Option to All Accounts

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
How do you select what profile you're using when you start using a different device? I added profiles.

For me, the only way to use different profiles is on the website. My iOS devices do not have that option yet, but apparently will be available in the coming days.

EDIT: After setting up the profiles, they are now available on Apple TV.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This is seriously cool! Now we don't have to sift through all of the Dr. Seuss to see a drama or action film. Very cool.

Geez, I don't care about that. What I don't want is to walk in and find my 11yo watching Scream, etc. And it looks like the profiles can have different parental settings, so that is excellent. I hope the iOS app has this soon.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Visit Edit Profiles while logged in to Netflix to set up profiles on your account.

As near as I can tell, you can add profiles from the Netflix website, but the the only edit option is one for "This is a profile for kids under 12". I haven't had the chance to test yet whether that incorporates parental controls.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
As near as I can tell, you can add profiles from the Netflix website, but the the only edit option is one for "This is a profile for kids under 12". I haven't had the chance to test yet whether that incorporates parental controls.

I did. It appears to save separately for each profile. Select a profile, then click Your Account at the top, then set controls.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
I'm guessing no, but, is there a way to make the profiles private? Can any profile see any profile?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
But nothing to prevent one family member from simply choosing the profile of an adult? Hmm...

Hopefully that gets addressed. For one thing, they need to allow a device to lock to a specific profile and not changeable without a password. Also, private profiles would be nice, requiring a passcode to access.

I'd like to see better parental controls on a per-profile basis. Looks like all you can do is indicate it for being under 12. Nothing more.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
But nothing to prevent one family member from simply choosing the profile of an adult? Hmm...
Not sure. Back when I had 2 DVD plan, I had separate profiles for the 2 discs. And the sub-profile had a separate login. Don't seem to see that with these streaming profiles. And I don't see any selection choice in the iPhone, despite what the quote says above.

But it's not even fully rolled out, yet. So, I'll withhold final judgement for a few days and check it out more later.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Hopefully that gets addressed. For one thing, they need to allow a device to lock to a specific profile and not changeable without a password. Also, private profiles would be nice, requiring a passcode to access.

I'd like to see better parental controls on a per-profile basis. Looks like all you can do is indicate it for being under 12. Nothing more.

QFT.

This is the early rollout, hopefully they improve this as they go.

I was thinking that, since you have to log into your account on the website to change settings like parental controls, maybe they could require you to log in with the same credentials in the iOS app to change profiles. (Edit: Basically what JAT said above.)

Or even use a concept of "locked" or "unlocked" profiles (as an opt-out for those who don't care, or who might, for example, have more than one kid in the same age range using the same iPad).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Look at my earlier post. The "under 12" is a different form of grouping they do, a specialized movie/show listing, not so much a parental control, persay.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Look at my earlier post. The "under 12" is a different form of grouping they do, a specialized movie/show listing, not so much a parental control, persay.

Using an "under 12" test profile I created, it wouldn't let me watch an R-rated movie (though I could search for it) with the parental controls set to "Adult".

But it was literally childsplay to pick an adult (e.g. not "under 12") test profile, and started streaming the movie immediately.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
This is a good day!

Had to click through to the edit profiles link posted earlier in this thread, but did manage to set up a profile for "Mom & Dad" and another for "Kids".

When managing the kids profile, you can filter by age level, which takes TV and Movie ratings into account. My girls are both under 12, so I set it for "little kids" which should filter things down quite a bit.

Went through and cleared out the cartoons from the "Mom & Dad" instant queue and all is well so far.

Adds an extra step to starting things up on the Apple TV, but it's worth it. Still doesn't *really* lock the kids out - my 7 year old could just click Mom&Dad instead, but she won't.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Netflix announced today that it is opening up its new 'profiles' feature to all accounts, after a brief beta period. The feature allows families to assign unique Netflix profiles -- up to 5 -- to each viewer, with individual Recently Watched and Instant Queue lists.

You might want to consider re-writing this sentence. I now know that you are saying that there can be a total of 5 profiles, but as it is written it can be interpreted as 5 profiles per viewer, which is not what is offered.

----------

For me, the only way to use different profiles is on the website. My iOS devices do not have that option yet, but apparently will be available in the coming days.

EDIT: After setting up the profiles, they are now available on Apple TV.

I'm pretty sure that for each device they will have to roll out a new client to bring the functionality. I use my TiVo, so I'm expecting a long wait for a new client. And maybe my Blu-ray player will get it first.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure that for each device they will have to roll out a new client to bring the functionality. I use my TiVo, so I'm expecting a long wait for a new client. And maybe my Blu-ray player will get it first.

So sad that the TiVo is so slow to update. I used a Premiere until we moved to DirecTV recently. There are only a few minor feature gaps between the DirecTV Genie and TiVo. I owned the original TiVo and loved it; it was revolutionary at the time.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Finally! This is pretty cool. Couldn't see the Edit Profile link on the main UK website, but altering the URL to /EditProfile took me to the right place... Profiles instantly showed up on Apple TV as soon as i'd created them. Cool :) Would be nice to be able to lock a device to a specific profile or have the option of a passcode (just a 4 digit one like apple does) for certain accounts (i.e. the adult ones!). Damn good start though! :)

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
How do I remove the stuff my kid has watched from my own profile?

I had the same problem. I got around it by setting up the "initial" profile as the kids account, and i used one of the new profiles as my (adult) account. The initial account retained all of the kids suggestions etc, but the new profile i setup for me had no history or suggestions so was as new. It's not perfect, but at least the kids retain all their previous suggestions and history and i get to start with a clean slate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.