Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Apple should buy these icons from the designers that put these out on Dribbble.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 2,119

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those do look nice, While I don't mind what I've seen in iOS7 (I'm not running the beta), I will say there is room for improvement for those icons.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I prefer Louie Mantia's:

icons2_1x.png

Also, in before "do we really need another icon thread"—Yes, we do because I like them! :mad: Aaaargh!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I like the switches for the Settings icon (I'm assuming its for Settings). The current one makes no sense to me!

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I prefer Louie Mantia's:

Also, in before "do we really need another icon thread"—Yes, we do because I like them! :mad: Aaaargh!

I was looking for icons that had a similar style as the iOS 7 icons. These icons have a cartoonish, colored painted look. Louis icons are great but might be too simple for the iOS 7 UI?!

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
What strikes me the most odd about the iOS 7 icons is that typically I find other people's mock-ups and suggestions to be unappealing, but with the icons every time I see one of the mock-ups from Dribbble, I almost always prefer them. There's just something off about them; I think it's mostly how they are inconsistent from app to app and don't all mesh with the design of the OS.

Not going to happen so we can stop dreaming now.
So? There's only so much you can discuss about an unreleased piece of software and picking apart and evaluating the design is one of those things. No one asked you if it would happen, or to dream with them, or to read and post in this thread.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I was looking for icons that had a similar style as the iOS 7 icons. These icons have a cartoonish, colored painted look. Louis icons are great but might be too simple for the iOS 7 UI?!

Of all the words one could use to describe Louie's icons, cartoonish isn't one I'd expect; they use simple gradients and solids with clean glyphs, which is exactly what Apple has done so far.

In a couple cases, the icons you chose are a step backwards. The Clock icon is glossy and shadowed, and the Camera icon is more complex.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Of all the words one could use to describe Louie's icons, cartoonish isn't one I'd expect; they use simple gradients and solids with clean glyphs, which is exactly what Apple has done so far.

In a couple cases, the icons you chose are a step backwards. The Clock icon is glossy and shadowed, and the Camera icon is more complex.

I agree. Louie's icons would be darn-near perfect fit for iOS 7.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012

I didnt refer to Louis icons with the first paragrap. I referred to the ones I picked from Dribbble. Louis are beautiful but might be too simple, modern for a OS that will last for many years. I want icons that are playful, fun and full of color.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Just curious as to why you didn't add this to the 94285728528 other threads discussing icons and felt it warranted it's own thread?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Apple should buy these icons from the designers that put these out on Dribbble.

I really like the reminders, settings and camera icons. The cam icon would be great with just the lens on it (like it looks on the phone).

The rest I couldn't care less for.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I didnt refer to Louis icons with the first paragrap. I referred to the ones I picked from Dribbble. Louis are beautiful but might be too simple, modern for a OS that will last for many years. I want icons that are playful, fun and full of color.

Oh, sorry. To be honest, I prefer the approach to design taken in iOS 6—at least for the icons. I actually agree with your preferred attributes, but I think Louie nailed it in respect to staying true to Apple's iOS 7 design ethos (which I'm not the biggest fan of).

Just curious as to why you didn't add this to the 94285728528 other threads discussing icons and felt it warranted it's own thread?

Because FUN! :p

Last edited:

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I prefer the original iOS 7.

One thing is to design the OS icons from scratch, and other is to copy and fix the icons Apple made, that's not design.

How come I haven't seen any original perception of how iOS 7 icons should look like, damn, not even different colors...

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011

One thing is to design the OS icons from scratch, and other is to copy and fix the icons Apple made, that's not design.

How come I haven't seen any original perception of how iOS 7 icons should look like, damn, not even different colors...

No one said they were doing anything but building on Apple's design. If others can iterate and improve on Apple's design, so can...Apple.

No one is suggesting that Apple scrap the icons altogether. The colors and many other elements are fine. They just need some polish and consistency, which is what is being done here.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

If I recall a lot of these designs were coming out before Apple even unveiled their redesign so that isn't a fair assessment. The fact that they look similar just means that the people had similar taste who created them.

newbreed23

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I like the new reminders app icon from the original post. The thing I can't stand about the iOS 7 reminders app icon is that the lines go off the edge. This one just shortens them up a bit and it looks worlds better. Just my opinion though.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I like the new reminders app icon from the original post. The thing I can't stand about the iOS 7 reminders app icon is that the lines go off the edge. This one just shortens them up a bit and it looks worlds better. Just my opinion though.

Agreed, and I can't stand the new design of the reminders app overall.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Louis hit it out of the park with these designs. Some might call these flatomorphs superior to Apple's. I wouldn't. Ive is the man with the plan and I believe he will make sure the design quality has no depth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.