Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming low-cost iPhone, perhaps called the iPhone "5C", may come equipped with the same 8-megapixel sapphire crystal-covered camera found in the iPhone 5, reports Chinese site IT168 [Google Translation]. The site has shared an image of what is claimed to be the iPhone 5C camera module, which appears similar to the existing iPhone 5 camera module.

5ccameramodule.jpg
While the low-cost iPhone will potentially incorporate the 8-megapixel camera of the iPhone 5, Apple's iPhone 5S is expected to get an upgraded 12-megapixel camera that will offer improved low light photography.

Though the 5C is labeled as the low-cost iPhone, it appears that it will share other characteristics with Apple's existing iPhone 5 and upcoming iPhone 5S, offering some of the same components in a cheaper polycarbonate shell. Using similar parts prevents Apple from having to source new materials and rumors have suggested that the iPhone 5C could even be intended to serve as a replacement for the iPhone 5.

Based on leaked specs and purported casing images, the iPhone 5C is expected to feature a plastic shell in multiple bright colors. The case design appears to be more rounded than the existing iPhone 5 and it is expected to be slightly taller and larger to accommodate the thicker plastic shell, as seen in renderings commissioned by MacRumors last month.

According to the most recent report, the iPhone 5C is expected to launch in early September, alongside Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S. Estimates have suggested that it could be priced between $450 and $550, which would likely lower the price to $99 or below with carrier subsidies.

(Thanks, Mobilespie!)

Article Link: Low-Cost iPhone '5C' May Include 8-Megapixel Camera

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So, basically, they are going for an iPhone 5 with higher profit margins (plastic, cheap material + cheaper to fabricate) and a Lightning connector?

$199 - iPhone 5S
$99 - 'iPhone 5C'
$0 - iPhone 4S

In otherwords: it's the iPhone 5 in a less expensive housing, reserving the 'premium aluminium design' for the $199-model.

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
It is the minimum camera Apple has to put in their iPhone. Just like the minimum screen in the iPad mini needs to be retina. Apple's lead has to be their hardware.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
More importantly, Apple will include a small ice cube to set above the 8mp camera! :p

5ccameramodule.jpg

Last edited:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
8 megapixel is enough for me for now, I'd rather they focus on the image quality and low light sensitivity instead. My first digital camera which was 3.2 megapixels still takes better pictures than my phone due to superior optics. I say make the lens and sensor bigger!

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
12mp is just stupid. Better optics, sensors are needed. I don't need a bunch of larger file sized pics of the same quality. Not needed at all.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
wow, not that low cost now is it. good move by apple,
won't be surprise if the 5C would also use A6 chip that powered the iPhone 5.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I wish they wouldn't discontinue the iPhone 5 and continue selling it along with the 5S.

$99 w/ contract for the iPhone 5 would be awesome.

Last edited:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If the sensor itself doesn't get larger, a 12MP image will do worse in low light situations because each pixel has be smaller (and let in less light). Stick to 8 and improve the optics!

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
So, basically, they are going for an iPhone 5 with higher profit margins (plastic, cheap material + cheaper to fabricate) and a Lightning connector?

$199 - iPhone 5S
$99 - 'iPhone 5C'
$0 - iPhone 4S

iPhone 4S becomes discontinue by Apple. I think iPhone 5C will be $0 or $49. Knowing Apple they want to make a splash at this event and I think if there trying to get more consumers such as the teenagers in which parents buy them a cheap phone who can't afford a $199 + tax + 2yr contract this is best solution.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal

$199 - iPhone 5S
$99 - 'iPhone 5C'
$0 - iPhone 4S
More like
$199 - iPhone 5S
$0 - 'iPhone 5C' ($99 is possible, but looks less likely IMO)

What worries me is the $450 price tag though.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
5c => 5

I dont know about the pricing but yes, I think its likely that the 5C is essentially the current 5. Since most people dont like buying an "old" or "outdated" phone, this makes business sense to repackage the ip5 as the "new" ip5C.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

$199 - iPhone 5S
$99 - 'iPhone 5C'
$0 - iPhone 4S

People here have suggested, and I for one agree, that Apple will eliminate the 4 and 4s altogether. Then there is just one screen size to worry about and no more 30 pin connectors as well.

gadgettechgeek

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
iPhone 5S, I don't think its coming

Is it only me? but I am getting the idea that the "C" version will take over the "S", and we will see wider disparity between updates from now on. We might not see the next update until next year for the iPhone 5. Wouldn't we see some rumors for the "S" yet?- haven't seen any, surely they would show up by now. We may see the new version as the "6" instead next year...

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
8 megapixels seems kind of silly with such a tiny lens. I think 3.1 MP is plenty for a camera phone.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Is it only me? but I am getting the idea that the "C" version will take over the "S", and we will see wider disparity between updates from now on. We might not see the next update until next year for the iPhone 5. Wouldn't we see some rumors for the "S" yet?- haven't seen any, surely they would show up by now. We may see the new version as the "6" instead next year...

There have been tons of rumors about the 5S. Just because you're new doesn't mean the rumors don't exist. Go through the past articles.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
8 megapixel is enough for me for now, I'd rather they focus on the image quality and low light sensitivity instead. My first digital camera which was 3.2 megapixels still takes better pictures than my phone due to superior optics. I say make the lens and sensor bigger!

Megapixel is one of the less important feature in phone cameras. A physical shutter button is way more useful as it allows self-portraits and more stability preventing shaking. A modern 5MP sensor in a f/2.4, 35mm-like focal length lens would be pretty nice.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
There's nothing "cheap" about $550. For me to consider this thing it would have to be under $400 because I could certainly buy something much better for $550.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.